Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2010 8:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    I would be very unhappy if I trained at a place and was getting lots of injuries from joint manipulation, especially in scripted joint manipulation like hapkido. I agree with your analysis.
    What do you think about soreness of joints? I recall periods when one or both of my wrists have been weak and susceptable to injury and other times when they certainly felt tired and maybe even a little sore. AFAIK, this is none too unusual. And your comment about scripted technique, you're talking about that versus randori? I didn't know there was randori (or what have you) in qin na.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/03/2010 11:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    I get no respect.
    When I mentioned I think Omega pointed that stuff out earlier I guess I should have pointed out that you pointed it out in a round about way as well.

Sorry for the omission.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/05/2010 12:22pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARPAChief View Post
    What do you think about soreness of joints? I recall periods when one or both of my wrists have been weak and susceptable to injury and other times when they certainly felt tired and maybe even a little sore. AFAIK, this is none too unusual
    Pain and injury are different things. Pain is part of training, but injuries shouldn't happen all the time. Duralmaru said that most of his injuries were from not tapping fast enough, and I thought that seemed like a bad thing, not a "our school has the real hapkido" kind of thing. Soreness or tiredness in the wrist doesn't seem too odd if you do a lot of wrist tweaking during a session.
    And your comment about scripted technique, you're talking about that versus randori? I didn't know there was randori (or what have you) in qin na.
    My comment wasn't that scripted technique is bad, it was that it shouldn't result in injury since both people know what's going to happen. I would expect more injuries in a randori type situation. I didn't really do sparring in my class because not many people had a sense of flow between movements and attacking and defending at the same time was too much for some people, so instead we did a good deal of drilling where one person would try to put their partner in a lock or hold, and the other person had to not let them. It taught them to avoid the habit of trying to muscle through a technique that's not working and instead transition to something else (also how to move with a lock to get out of it). For example, against a standing elbow lock, if the defended bends their arm you could turn it into a shoulder lock (or a gooseneck). When people got good at that drill, they could play around more.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/05/2010 2:31pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No randori in qinna?!?

Are you fucking kidding me?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/05/2010 10:25pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No randori in qinna?!?

Are you fucking kidding me?
    The people that showed up regularly did, but a number of people showed up every once in a while and they didn't apply the basics well enough for free play. It was a small part of the choy li fut school, with only one chin na class a week (there just wasn't much interest in it for some reason).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/05/2010 11:05pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtnira View Post
    In the early 1980's, I found a hopkido book that was published in Korea. The authors and instructors were all Korean military. I have never found another hopkido manual like it. Since then, all the hopkido manuals I have seen look like sports martial arts and civilian self-defense books, not like true military combatives manuals.

All of this for context: That manual was written during the 1970's when the North Koreans were sending commando teams into areas south of the DMZ and behaving in an aggressive manner. During that period several American servicemen were killed in ambushes. This kind of aggressive behavior continued into the 1980's when North Korean agents even tried to assassinate the president of South Korea in Rangoon, Burma, in 1983.

Hopkido can be really ruthless, but I suspect like most popularized "martial arts", the military skills emphasis diminishes with time and the practice changes to sports and basic civilian self-defense techniques. Context tends to shape practice.
    What Book?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 6:06am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tex, I can't positively answer that question. It was in Hangul, the Korean language, and I was new to Asia at the time. I gave it to my Japanese karate instructor as a gift.

That book is now lost to time, although occasionally I will go through Google images looking for an image of the book cover to see if I can recover the document.If the book can be identified, then I can start trying to track it down. I started my young work life in a library, and I often keep on document recovery for years until it is successful, or an obvious dead end.

Using Google (Google Korea, Google Japan) and their translation service, you'd be surprised what is out there when some endurance and research method is applied.

Posted On:
    9/18/2010 7:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by duralmaru View Post
    Been taking Hapkido for almost two years, I was hoping to get some feedback on what people thought of the art.
    i also trained for two years and my opinion is if you had an excellent teacher and worked with their teachers your pretty badass I wouldve gotten my redbelt and a little longer my blackbelt, but I had to move. even though i still train on my own and all the knowledge I have gives me a little more security than before.:waraya:new_uklia:sad5:

Posted On:
    9/19/2010 12:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtnira View Post
    Tex, I can't positively answer that question. It was in Hangul, the Korean language, and I was new to Asia at the time. I gave it to my Japanese karate instructor as a gift.

That book is now lost to time, although occasionally I will go through Google images looking for an image of the book cover to see if I can recover the document.If the book can be identified, then I can start trying to track it down. I started my young work life in a library, and I often keep on document recovery for years until it is successful, or an obvious dead end.

Using Google (Google Korea, Google Japan) and their translation service, you'd be surprised what is out there when some endurance and research method is applied.
    Could it have been Kwang Sik Myungs book? His first Hapkido book was published in Korean in 1968. I've never seen a copy of the Korean version so I couldn't describe it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2010 11:13pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get no respect.
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 1112 LastLast