Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/28/2010 4:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian JiuJiitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

D'Arce Jiu Jitsu and MMA - Long Island NY

Hey folks, Iím here with a review on the school I train at, DíArce Jiu Jitsu and MMA. D'Arce Jiu Jitsu and MMA is located on Long Island in Bayshore New York. They offer classes available for all levels with top notch instruction in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, No Gi Submission Grappling, Muay Thai Kickboxing, and MMA. Classes are taught by Renzo Gracie Blackbelt and professional MMA fighter, Joe D'Arce (of the famed Darce Choke) Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt Gregg DePasquale, and professional MMA and Kickboxer Seth Tiringer, as well as other additional top trainers and coaches. (such as Alex and Chris Vamos, also Black Belts under Joe who now run their own school, however come to train at the school on a regular basis) Classes are offered seven days a week, multiple times per day.

Now what I loved most was that there was no pressure to join until you knew it was for you, however you were encouraged to give it an open minded try. What I also had noticed and was very pleased about, was that the higher level students and all of the instructors didnít pick favorites. Everyone seemed to be treated equally, weather you are brand new, a senior member, or someone winning all the tournaments and fights. Now after training there for some time, this early impression of mine has turned out true. Everyone is friendly and exceptionally helpful, with problems both on, and off the mat. Itís like one giant family. Whether youíre there to compete, or just get in great shape, expect to be welcomed happily by everyone. There are honestly no egos to contend with. The instructors and students are interested in one thing and one thing only, making sure we constantly improve as a team.

We currently have multiple Professional and amateur fighters who compete in MMA, Kickboxing and Muay Thai. There is also a good part of the team who compete in Jiu Jitsu competitions on a frequent bases. The instructors and team members are very supportive with this, they are always there to corner you and prepare you for whatever event youíre competing in. What I really love is how they are willing to sacrifice whatever time they need to ensure you are ready, which leads to a lot of our teams success in competitions and fights.

Here are some examples of how classes are run:

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and No Gi Grappling class
    Classes start off with some sports specific warm-ups, then a technique or a drill of some sort is taught (the drills, moves, and training exercises always have a very nice flow to them and relate to one another), takedowns are taught on a regular basis as well as live training from the feet. Usually two or so moves are taught per class with drills and live training mixed in. For the beginner class most of the time is spent on techniques and drilling, with the live training being positional as opposed to "free rolling" (training from the feet and continuing till a submission). After class there is an open mat period where students can work on techniques or train. Structured classes are typically 1 hr 30 mins with a 30 minute open mat (often ending in some sport specific strength and conditioning training if you want to stay)

Mixed Martial Arts class
    Classes start off with a warm up that may include a shadowboxing drill or something specific to what we will be working on for the day. Partner drills are also incorporated helping build each others offence, defense, and counter reflexes. Techniques are taught and drilled every class. Sparring is available for the students that are ready skill wise and want to participate, and MMA conditioning drills are part of some classes too. I find this class fun and productive for all types and levels of guys whether they are interested in competing in MMA or just looking to get in shape. (often ending in some sport specific strength and conditioning training if you want to stay)

Competition Class
    This class is for those who wish to take their training to the next level. It is a fast paced, highly intensity class that focuses on drilling, live training and conditioning. It is not for everyone and is geared for those very serious about their training. It is typically run for No Gi or MMA.

Classes Overall
    The thing that I like about the classes the most is that no two are the same, and the energy in them is great both from the instructors and the students! The instructors are always there willing to roll with, spar with, and drill with you to help fine to your game.

Now an explanation on the scores/ratings:

Aliveness: 10: Regular (monthly or less) skill testing via full contact, full range fighting, minimum safety equipment. (however, this is totally optional, if you do not want to do this, but usually it is no less then a 8-9: Hard contact with reasonable safety gear and/or limited to one range of fighting (standup/grappling)). Class always has some type of live, full resistance rolling or sparring

Equipment: 6.5: Respectable equipment, somewhat worn. Everyone tends to bring their own equipment, however there is still some respectable club rentals as well as great gear to purchase from the school. Tons of jump rope, plenty of pads and a few bags ect..

Gym Size: 7: Actual dedicated commercial space, somewhat small but functional. Not the biggest, but definitely not the smallest. Plenty of space though.

Instructor/Student Ratio: 10: Highly personal attention from top instructors. +++ No matter how many people are there, expect to receive very personal attention, as there are often numerous top instructors present per class, always willing and glad to help.

Atmosphere/Attitude: 10: Open, supportive but challenging. You may be fighting, but youíre going to smile while doing it! Honestly though, this receives an A+++

Striking Instruction: 10: Superior excellence including A-level competitors/instructors. Joe DíArce and Seth Tiringer are very knowledgeable and highly skilled both having multiple kickboxing and mma fights.

Grappling Instruction: 10: Superior excellence including A-level competitors/instructors. Probably where this school excels the most, not only does Joe have an exceptional BJJ record his students in all levels also have outstanding competition records, and are very modest about them. The top instructors and team members have extensive and high experience in wrestling, and judo as well.

So if you live on Long Island and are interested in Jiu Jitsu, mma, Muay Thai Kickboxing, or just want to have fun and get in shape come down, and try out a class. See you on the mat!

Attached Images  
    Last edited by LRjiujitsu; 8/28/2010 4:21pm at .

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 6:59pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got my Blue Belt from Joe D'Arce, but my instructors are Chris and Alex Vamos, who train under him. Guy is legit and so are his teachers.

A few of the D'Arce guys train at Vamos once in awhile and they are always on top of their game as well as mix in Judo and Wrestling. Great place if you're near Brentwood/Bayshore.

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 10:40pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i train at D'arce Jiu Jitsu and when i was first looking for a school i went to many places on the island but never was impressed with the Teachers, until i got to Joe's. one of the most impressive things about D'arce's is that Joe or another black belt is present almost every class and u get a personal touch even durring a large class

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/20/2010 8:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how much is the tuition?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2011 12:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    7 months later and no response. Is it a secret or something?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2011 11:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian JiuJiitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry havent been on the site much. We're moving to patchogue July 30th. Pricing will be 120$ for unlimited i believe. Includes a free gym membership aswell. More info soon

Posted On:
    8/01/2011 1:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I checked out the seminar they had at the new location this past Saturday, and was impressed with the turnout. I'm thinking of taking a trial class this week, but the $120/month fee along with free gym acess, sounds like a nice deal to me.

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 1:25am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    upp...

D'arce Jiujitsu needs a new evalution... Great instructors, tons of equipment, awesome atmosphere and enthusiastic students are just some of the talking points.