8/28/2010 1:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Depends on what you call high.
    Brother Power the Geek.

OH...you mean expectations.
    Blade 1&2 are the best of the low tier characters.
    Blade was a perfect storm of the right actor who loved the character, a solid script, a good director (I liked LOXG), a good villian and absolutely no expectations.
    Snipes would do the same with Black Panter, although since he needs ca$h, I am afraid he wouldn't be as concerned with all the ancillary as he was producing Blade.
    Elektra, Daredevil, Ghost Rider not so much.
    Daredevil tried too hard. Elektra....well.......I won't say anymore.

I liked Ghost Rider. It had a decent cast and Cage just wanted to be in a comic book movie. It could have been better but it also could have been worse.

They don't put their all into the "throw away characters" anymore.

That is what worries me.
    They already greenlit a Piranha 3-D sequel. It made 10 Million opening weekend but it cost much less than that. That's the bar: can we make money. Not every property will pull in Iron Man or Spiderman money and Marvel needs to quit thinking it will. Look what they did with the Hulk (and I know you do) I liked the French guy's take on it...the Transporter Clash of the Titans guy. But it didn't make Spiderman and Iron Man money so they rebooted again.

Posted On:
    8/28/2010 1:10pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blade 1&2 are the best of the low tier characters. Elektra, Daredevil, Ghost Rider and punisher (I did like the reboot) not so much. They don't put their all into the "throw away characters" anymore.
    I remember a time when the Punisher was just as popular as Wolverine, and far more popular than Thor, Captain America, or Iron Man.

Arguably, given the amount of Punisher logo'd merchandise I see punk kids wearing, he's still very popular. And shouldn't be a throwaway.

The Elektra comics have been hit or miss. Nobody but Frank Miller really seems to know what to do with her. The movie was terrible.

I've never cared for Daredevil, and Ghost Rider's another hit-or-miss character.

I could see Iron Fist being another Elektra movie. Unless they really commit to it, maybe even suck in Shang-Chi, Master of Kung Fu and revel in a martial arts universe.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/28/2010 1:21pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post

They already greenlit a Piranha 3-D sequel. It made 10 Million opening weekend but it cost much less than that. That's the bar:
    No it really isn't. Marvel has merchandising and other related issues. There is a difference between making a Pirahana sequel and trying to launch established characters. Their animated features are doing well so, they will not put their all into low end characters. Oh and I forgot FF 1&2. I liked both but, they were fairly bad by the Standards set by Blade.
    But it didn't make Spiderman and Iron Man money so they rebooted again.
    Hunh?

Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post

Arguably, given the amount of Punisher logo'd merchandise I see punk kids wearing, he's still very popular. And shouldn't be a throwaway.
    I'd say half have no clue and it is a black shirt or one with blood. Less about punisher more about a statement.

As to popularity:

Yes, that's what they did to a popular character. He was killed by Wolverine's son and became that. He's so unpopular it pisses me off. The second movie, minus one huge flaw, was actually comic fandom worthy.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 8/28/2010 1:31pm at .

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/28/2010 1:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No it really isn't. Marvel has merchandising and other related issues.
    they didn't really try and merchandise DD, Elektra or Ghost Rider. Punisher Merchandising was done almost solely through Hot Topic.

There is a difference between making a Pirahana sequel and trying to launch established characters. Their animated features are doing well so, they will not put their all into low end characters.
    Nor should they, although I don't really see Thor as main character until the Ultimates. He was last 'relevant' in the mid/late 1980s during the Simonson run.

Oh and I forgot FF 1&2. I liked both but, they were fairly bad by the Standards set by Blade.
    Overall, yeah. In bits and pieces, they weren't. Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis were cast well. Jessica Alba wasn't. Silver Surfer was good but not seeing Galactus wasn't.

Hunh?
    Eric Bana->Edward Norton->Mark Ruffalo. They are rebooting the Hulk, again.

The second movie, minus one huge flaw, was actually comic fandom worthy.
    It was. I was impressed with War Zone. Ray Stevenson (who is in the new KENNETH SHAKESPEARE BRANAUGH Thor movie) nailed the character from the old Mike Zeck 5-issue Punisher mini-series. The one where he goes to Riker's Island....which reminded me of the Rorschach in prison scene from Watchmen.

Posted On:
    8/28/2010 1:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wake me up when they make a Silver Surfer movie so I can cross my fingers that it doesn't blow as hard as Spiderman 2 & 3.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/28/2010 1:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    blow as hard as Spiderman 2 & 3.
    Spiderman 2? really? I would agree 3 lacked, but I found 2 to be better than the first Spiderman.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    8/28/2010 2:06pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I highly doubt that a film like that will ever be made.

Marvel has Iron Man 3, Thor, Captain America, Deadpool, Avengers, Wolverine II, X-Men First Class, Ghost Rider II, and the Spiderman reboot lined up with concrete release dates.

Why should they fracture the comic movie market even more?

Their Blade series flopped, none of their endeavors to establish an ongoing Saturday morning cartoon series has been successful.

Also, Marvel belongs to Disney now, and Disney doesn't do B-movies.

Probability of Iron Fist movie being made: Unlikely.

Probability of seeing Disney contract actors Daniel Craig, Nicolas Cage, and Johnny Depp involved in superhero comic book adaption: Comparatively high.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/28/2010 2:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=Pilgrim;2432165]I highly doubt that a film like that will ever be made.[quote]
    They are doing a Hawkeye film with the guy from Hurt Locker......

Marvel has Iron Man 3, Thor, Captain America, Deadpool, Avengers, Wolverine II, X-Men First Class, Ghost Rider II, and the Spiderman reboot lined up with concrete release dates.
    Avengers before Iron Man 3 and Thor and Cap before them.
    Deadpool, if Ryan Reynolds, will be after Green Lantern.
    X-men First Class is like Spiderman reboot, smaller than the predecessor.
    Ghost Rider II? Doubtful and even so, if they do it, around the same size as Iron Fist.
    and you forgot Magneto.
    Why should they fracture the comic movie market even more?
    $

Their Blade series flopped, none of their endeavors to establish an ongoing Saturday morning cartoon series has been successful.
    Sure they were. The X-Men series was solid on Fox. They had the Rob Zombie Spiderman on MTV.
    They have had numerous X-Men and Spidermen series.....Iron Man series....they do well

Also, Marvel belongs to Disney now, and Disney doesn't do B-movies.
    Sky High.
    High School Musical
    Hannah Montana
    Camp Rock
    8 Below
    Underdog

how's that for a start?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2010 2:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A Power Man/Iron Fist movie that played off the whole "used to be big, back in the day" angle of the characters would be cool. Recycle a few 80's action stars, have a storyline that plays off the fact that no one knows who the **** they are.

It'd be watchable.

Avoid too much exposition/origin. Rand is a guy who learned magic Kung Fu powers in a monastery. Cage got his powers from sekert guvament experiments. Deal with it in a montage of old headlines (ie. Watchmen) or a flashback (Incredible Hulk) at the start and get down to the business of two old friends kicking some young punk's heads in.

It'd be watchable I tell you.

Costumes? Now there's a problem (capri pants and ballet slippers?).

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    8/28/2010 2:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might enjoy this page here, for more info:

http://www.superherohype.com/

Apparently, Magneto, IF and Hawkeye are canned, but the Ghost Rider sequel starts filming in October. :-/

Personally, I'd welcome more rather period-themed comic books, like a proper rendition of The Shadow, or some of the King Features Syndicate comics (Mandrake The Magician!), but the only directors that I think had the potential to do this right would be Elias Merhige and Todd Haynes, and both are not much into sellout.

I mean, Kenneth Brannagh doing Thor... Either this movie will be a milestone, or...

There are few times when I facepalm about something as campy as superhero movies. This time, I did.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonist; 8/28/2010 2:59pm at .
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast