Sponsored Links Spacer Image

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 11:36am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also Rodney King didn't "invent" crazy monkey guard. He used to be SBGs striking guy and may have named it but its a pretty old/normal style of boxing guard often called peek-a-boo guard. Look at Rampage's guard for good examples. I'm pretty sure he never trained with Rodney King.

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 12:28pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoughRobot View Post
    That's interesting, I can't say much for the online course (we get the videos even when training with an instructor) but I'd be interested to see someone with an MMA background work with some of the techniques. Personally, I find the parrying/redirection stuff more applicable than I've seen with other styles, how'd you find that aspect of it?
    Not used to parry really, atleast how it was taught to me. Was done by clearing a loose gaurd and hitting, or grabbing and clearing the limb of an extended hand/limb.

EDIT: And parrying punche seemed no different from what would be taught in any typical boxing/kicboxing class. Most of the guard was based on the cover.

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 12:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Also Rodney King didn't "invent" crazy monkey guard. He used to be SBGs striking guy and may have named it but its a pretty old/normal style of boxing guard often called peek-a-boo guard. Look at Rampage's guard for good examples. I'm pretty sure he never trained with Rodney King.
    Didn't know that. So he's basically emphasizing an old skillset then? Oh and why isn't he with SBG anymore? THey seem to have similar philosophies. Why was there a break between the two? I know there was one. My gym(not dragon) is under SBG but the coach there seems to really like both Matt Thorton and Rodney kings material, though Thorton comes to teach seminars while Rodney has never ever come down(he gets the DVDS) i suspect because of the break.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 2:04pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, KFM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAhmed46 View Post
    Not used to parry really, atleast how it was taught to me. Was done by clearing a loose gaurd and hitting, or grabbing and clearing the limb of an extended hand/limb.

EDIT: And parrying punche seemed no different from what would be taught in any typical boxing/kicboxing class. Most of the guard was based on the cover.
    Ah okay, I've seen some nice clinch entries off of simple parries in in training that I really like, was wondering if anything like that came up. Cheers.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 2:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, KFM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    King has cited Rampage's guard as examples of the kind of stuff they do but, no, I don't think Rampage has trained with them.

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 6:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoughRobot View Post
    Ah okay, I've seen some nice clinch entries off of simple parries in in training that I really like, was wondering if anything like that came up. Cheers.
    Lots of clearing the limb and getting to the clinch yes, also off of blocking the jab with the elbow and then using the penetration step to go for a single or double, or do a penetration step and clinch( I have no idea how much of this is an adaptation or genuinly keysi, other than clearing the limb and going for the clinch) Ive done two seminars so far, both very short, two hour time span. It's a seminar series. The next one should be coming up next month.

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 6:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have facebook, check out these links for details. This is where i took the seminar and i train with these guys here:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/REAL-S...r/249616891526

http://www.facebook.com/pages/REAL-S...d=262636098816
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920