Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 11:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: transitioning

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, ok. I'm pretty sure I wasn't bouncing off my hamstrings/calves today, but I might've been doing that with the heavier weight.

Yeah, that's true...I've tried watching demo videos of a well-executed squat for help as well, but I guess I can't get a whole lot out of it by myself. I'll see if my phone takes decent video, and if not I'll ask around to see if anyone can give me a hand. Until then, I'll just experiment with a wider stance / toes pointed out a bit farther. Thank you for the help!

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 11:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The big thing that causes knee pain is a knee initiated squat vs. a hip one. You want to see how you're breaking at the start of the squat. If the squat starts with the knees moving, you're probably putting too much pressure on the knee, and training squats as some sort of knee extension exercise.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 5:31am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have a video of yourself doing Emevas?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 6:19am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel View Post
    ... ummm ... I think/hope there is a typo in there somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 2:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel View Post

Not any real great demonstrations of form (assuming you wanted videos of me squatting and not masturbating), but here is what I got.

YouTube - 465lb Squat

YouTube - 405+chains 3x5 squat

On the second video, I had to replace the sound because a song I was listening to on the radio while I was lifting was copywritten. Go youtube.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    9/10/2010 3:27am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backfistmonkey View Post
    ... ummm ... I think/hope there is a typo in there somewhere.
    Not at all. He sent me the video I wanted via MMS :)
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    9/10/2010 3:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Not any real great demonstrations of form (assuming you wanted videos of me squatting and not masturbating), but here is what I got.

On the second video, I had to replace the sound because a song I was listening to on the radio while I was lifting was copywritten. Go youtube.
    Thanks man, I think this is what I'm doing but it's hard to tell.

Posted On:
    9/10/2010 2:22pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol, I was going to tweak Emevas for being a little high on the 405s -- and then I saw it in his youtube description ...

Note that it's a very glute/ham dominant powerlifter style squat - he barely uses his quads. A wide somewhat bent over stance with the bar in the low (power) position on the back. There are other ways to do it, but this is a good one.

Anyway, the trick is to think about pushing your ass back and to sit down as you arch your back.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/10/2010 3:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: transitioning

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, alright. I think I may have been bringing my hips down vertically instead of pushing them out. Thanks for the video link, the "hip-initated" advice makes more sense to me now, I'll have to work on starting the movement in the hips instead of just bending at the knees. The squat I've been doing has the bar higher on the back and is more quad-driven, so I'll have to adjust my form for that too. I'm guessing that could be what's causing the lower back discomfort in addition to the knee pain?

Thanks for the help and explanations, everyone, I really appreciate it. I'll be sure to review the advice here thoroughly next time I go to the gym.

Posted On:
    9/10/2010 3:33pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back squatting well is actually a fairly technical movement. Most idiots in the gym do it wrong -- they turn it into a kind of good morning, which is what happens when you initiate from the knees and not the hips.

One thing that might help are goblet squats. I picked these up from reading Dan John (free advice: you can't go wrong with Dan John). They can teach you the basics of squatting form.

Here's one video. Not how he's sitting down.

YouTube - Lower Body Cross Training Exercises : Doing a Goblet Squat Lower Body Exercise

And learn to front squat. You pretty much have to initiate from the hips with a front squat because the weight is in front of your center of gravity. It's almost impossible to front squat wrong.

If you carry that form over into a back squat you'll have a more upright, quad dominant stance than Emevas demonstrated -- closer to O-lifter style. From there you can work on moving to powerlifter style if you want.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast