Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 11:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: transitioning

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question regarding stronglifts

Ok, so I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for a couple months now, and over the summer I was seeing some progress. Unfortunately, I'd tend to get injured/sick whenever I was really making progress on my bench/overhead press, so I have yet to work the two past 185/115 respectively. I love the program and I'd love to keep doing it, but I wasn't sure if sticking with the same exercises too long might be part of the problem. Can I stick with the program until I stall on my squat with weight greater than/equal to 1.5x my bodyweight, even if it takes me a couple more months to get there?

My other question has to do with me being back in college. The place I train Krav is about 1.8 miles away, so rather than drive I've started running to and from the class. This with the squatting has been pretty hard on my legs. Would it be better to start driving, switch to a program that doesn't involve so much squatting, or do I just need to man up?

Thanks in advance for any help, guys.

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 11:45pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SL5x5 recommends having a break around every six weeks, I can't remember if they recommend 1 or two weeks worth, but it is a break. That will help with the plateauing you experience.

I'd suggest continuing the program until you get to squatting 1.5x your bodyweight as recommended, if it is a couple of months away, what are you worried about? Step at a time, dude. When it happens, you can then go searching for your next program.

Also, I use the walk to and from the gym as warm up and cool down. After the squats and deadlifts, I wouldn't run.

Then again, I'm a bit jealous because I have just restarted the program and would probably be where you at or better if I hadn't been injured.

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 11:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you running to and from krav on the same days you're doing stronglifts?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 11:58pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the reply!

Ah, ok. That's reassuring then, I really like how the program feels, just wish I could make progress a bit faster. I went through the program for a month or so with a friend over the summer, and I guess working with him put me in a competitive mindset, he tended to up the weight on his presses faster than me and it was frustrating, haha.

The running I do sort of fits in-between the days I lift. Mon/Wed/Sat I do Krav, which I've been running to recently, and Sun/Tues/Thurs I go to the gym for Stronglifts. So there is a bit of downtime between the squats and the running, but I'm not sure it's enough. Should I forget about saving the gas money and stick with the program?

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 12:21am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Instead of running, walk. It is a good cool down as it keeps the blood flowing, IMO.

And remember, strength is not a sprint, it's a marathon. Concentrate on yourself, your own goals. I find I'm in competition with myself, but I also know if I overdo it I'm back to square one. The best thing about SL5x5 is you are always putting weight on. Your mate might have been just trying to impress you by putting on more weight, is he still doing it? If not that could indicate burnout.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 12:44am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, I'll try leaving a little earlier to give myself more time to get there. I'll bring more food too so it won't be such a big deal if I don't get back to campus as fast.

Hey, that's interesting. He was doing well but he told me he was switching back to some other program, hadn't considered that as a possibility!

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'm probably expecting too much too soon.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 2:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you really can't do it then you can switch to 3x5.. otherwise HTFU
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 10:37am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, will do. I'll try to cut back if not eliminate the running to keep all the squats in.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 6:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to bring this up again, but I'm still having some problems. I did cut out the running on Monday and Wednesday for my class, but I still have this discomfort in my knees/ lower back when squatting. I moved down from 230 to 205 on the squat to see if that'd help, and while the weight was easier to lift, the discomfort was the same.

I'm not sure to what extent knee discomfort when squatting is. In the Stronglifts guide, it says you should be able to "bounce" from the bottom using the stretch in your hip muscles, but a personal trainer at my school gym said that was going a little too far. The knee pain usually won't last too long after the workout, but the feeling in my lower back doesn't go away so easily. I've got my toes pointed slightly outward, feet a bit more than shoulder width apart, and I'm not rounding or hyper-extending my back. I know glute involvement in the lift is something I should probably work on, but does anyone have any other advice?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    9/08/2010 10:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You want to bounce using the stretch reflex, but most likely, you're bouncing your hamstrings off of your calves, which hurts the knees.

Get a video of your form. Verbal descirptions are worthless, as many people think they have everything right, but video demonstrates that something is majorly wrong.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast