Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 2:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Am I the only one who thought all the Mini-14 hate was a little overdone? No, they're not designed or built to be competitive with much more expensive AR clones, but they're handy little .223 carbines nonetheless. People all across the country are using them as truck guns right now with no complaints.

Now, if you're going to be taking training courses with the rifle and firing 300-500 rounds in a day or two, you might find the Mini-14 wanting. But it's not trash.

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 3:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    Am I the only one who thought all the Mini-14 hate was a little overdone? No, they're not designed or built to be competitive with much more expensive AR clones, but they're handy little .223 carbines nonetheless. People all across the country are using them as truck guns right now with no complaints.

Now, if you're going to be taking training courses with the rifle and firing 300-500 rounds in a day or two, you might find the Mini-14 wanting. But it's not trash.
    I dunno man. You can get a Delton M-4gery kit for a $400. It will shoot circles around a Mini14 all day, and accepts common place, inexpensive hi-cap magazines.

I think that's why people bag on them. In addition to being more expensive than a baseline AR, they also only accept proprietary low-cap mags that cost one of your favorite limbs and a bag of unicorn tears.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 8:15am

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Money View Post
    I just finished my tacticool-AR project. Now I just need to figure out why the fucker is stove-piping.

Two things to look at the extractor/extractor spring and your buffer tube(if the spring is binding etc). also is the gun well lubed. remember Ar's are like women the wetter the better.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 8:46am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mad_malk View Post
    Two things to look at the extractor/extractor spring and your buffer tube(if the spring is binding etc). also is the gun well lubed. remember Ar's are like women the wetter the better.
    I checked out the extractor the other day and it all looked good so I'm thinking it could a lube issue. I experimented when I cleaned it last so that might have something to do with it as well.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, the mini 14 mags are worth the money. They are very solidly built and can withstand dropping.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 11:07am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    Hey, the mini 14 mags are worth the money. They are very solidly built and can withstand dropping.
    Can they hold 30 rounds of 5.56 nato?

Does the Mini14 except a drum?

Exactly...

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 11:14am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They hold 20. I don't mind 20. I get tired if I have to shoot 30 rounds slow fire out of my AK 47. The 20 rounders in the mini 14 give me a bit of a breather when I'm shooting standing up and unsupported.

Also, 20 rounds has a lot of historical verisimilitude.

I think they do make 30 rounders for the mini 14 if you really want one, anyway.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 12:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, 20 rounds has a lot of historical verisimilitude.
    It sure does. It's what our MBR's held Before we made the switch to an intermediate cartridge specifically so we could carry MORE bullets. ;D

Aw, I'm just busting yor chops at this point.

Though I've heard that the after market mags for the Mini14 are less than stellar. So if you buy a 30 rounder for it, Caveat emptor bro!

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm no expert on Del-Ton, but just Googling around, I'm seeing $750 MSRP for their complete rifles. I would expect those to go for something between $600 and $700 based on that, not $400. I see $400 quoted all over for Del-Ton uppers . . . .

In any case, that's a moot point. I'm not talking about people saying the Mini-14 is OK but there are better options out there if you're looking for a new rifle; I'm talking about people talking about the Mini-14 like it killed their pa.

A Corvette is cheaper than a 911 and in terms of performance is equal or better by many measures. That doesn't mean that people who buy Porsches are doomed, and it sure doesn't mean Porsches are junk.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    10/15/2010 3:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been trying out the Magpul Pmags for my AR and they seem quite sturdy. They run around $12 or so for a 30rd.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast