...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 9:03pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Yessir! Though I am pretty sure the A2 is an "HBAR", that is a slightly heavier barrel profile. Just keep that in mind when you are buying your rails or hand guards, as you will have to make sue you pick ones that will fit.

However, this brings up another detail important to the M16a1. They had very thin looking barrels, part of the weight savings designed into that generation of weapons.

Why don't you just go for the m16a2 instead? You'll get your heavy barrel, you can still use an a4 upper and have your bolt on carry handle, it is literally a generational improvement over the a1 design, and it's probably the most iconic of the Ar's next to the original and the m4.

An added bonus of having the full length barrel, is the full length gas system. The "rifle" length" gas system is the one the machine was designed with, and when it is shortened as in midlengths and carbines, it increases the pressure and heat of the gasses which cycle your BCG, thus causing more stress, and faster wear and tear on you internal components.
    Thanks for all the info. I feel pretty strongly tempted at this point to get the Del Ton A2 kit, especially seeing as it can come with a carrying handle and vegetation-snagging flash suppressor.

EDIT: Not to mention, holy cow, it's so much cheaper than buying the rifle fully assembled. And even though I don't have any idea how to put it together right now, that would surely be a learning experience for me.
    Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 8/31/2010 9:08pm at .
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 9:53pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    But does that make it incompatible? Could I use the A1 stock? Or would I encounter problems?
    No, you should be able to put an A1 stock on pretty much any lower receiver.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 10:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    No, you should be able to put an A1 stock on pretty much any lower receiver.
    Terrific! I've gone ahead and ordered the triangular grip + stock + whatever those other things are from the surplus company.

Now I can feel confident that whatever happens or whatever I decide to do subsequently, I should have the ability to A1-ize any A2 style AR.

Wow, I'm so pumped! Thanks!
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 4:00am

Style: CLF

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    And even though I don't have any idea how to put it together right now, that would surely be a learning experience for me.
    With the right guide (which you can easily find via google, as well as ar15.com) someone who's never build an AR before, and isn't fully retarded, can do the entire job in under an hour, probably well under.

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 12:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by iniquity View Post
    With the right guide (which you can easily find via google, as well as ar15.com) someone who's never build an AR before, and isn't fully retarded, can do the entire job in under an hour, probably well under.
    This!

IIRC, the only "tool" you need are a couple of punches, and a special wrench. A Vice and a pourpose built jig are useful as well.

It's basically like building a high end model, but for grownups!

And don't forget patience. Lots of patience. Take your time and focus on each step, you don't want to break your new toy right?

Hit up that site I linked you to in your PM, there are more builders on there than you can shake a stick at!

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    9/27/2010 9:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check it out! I got my surplus M16A1 parts!

As I understand it, now I just need to build an A2 style AR15, except that I can go ahead and use these grips and stock, and have a retro looking AR, especially if I use the carrying handle attachment Skele pointed out.

I've been very busy lately and had a lot on my mind, so I haven't thought about this in a while, but I feel fairly enthused about this project.

I'm pretty pumped about the retro look. It makes me want to duct tape a MP3 player to the rifle and cue some Vietnam era classics.

YouTube - Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son - Music Video

YouTube - Eric Burdon - The Animals - We Gotta Get Out Of This Place

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 5:45am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: american kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=123

This the retro section on Arfcom. They can give you all kinds of guidance on building a rifle like you are describing.

The advice about getting a more modern rifle is all good and I would say do both. Black rifles have a way of multiplying when you are not looking. :)

I know a guy who was looking around his shop and realized he had enough parts to build a complete rifle just laying around so he did. You may find it hard to stop once you start.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 5:51am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: american kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post
    You probably picked one of the most expensive websites that I've ever seen in my life to build your gun. Waaaay too expensive.

If you're going to spend all of that money, you need to buy something more modernized. That is...something with a good stock and an M4-style, flat-top upper, so you don't limit yourself.

If you're stuck on the carry-handle style sight system, roll with one of these:

When you want to upgrade to an electronic sight and flip up iron sights (and you will), it's as easy as unscrewing the mounting knobs...as opposed to buying a dedicated, carry-handle upper that requires you to spend another $375-400. on a new upper receiver when you inevitably want to add optics to it.

Don't be THIS GUY:

I started with a fixed carry handle. Not long after I decided I wanted a flat top for optics so I built one. Then I got precision AR. Still want more (a short barrel is next on the list)

The funny thing is I still like shooting the original fixed carry handle rifle the most.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 6:45am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just finished my tacticool-AR project. Now I just need to figure out why the fucker is stove-piping.

Posted On:
    10/14/2010 8:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Money View Post
    I just finished my tacticool-AR project. Now I just need to figure out why the fucker is stove-piping.

Because Eugene Stoner wasn't half to designer Browning or Kalashnikov were?
    :new_all_c

j/k, I like your build! Hope you get the kinks worked out man.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast