Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 3:56pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An "A1"?

Get a time machine to 1968.

Listen to Skleletor. You can find decent AR15's for between 700-900 depending on where you look and how you do it.
    Last edited by tgace; 8/30/2010 4:09pm at .

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 4:00pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My toy.

Last edited by tgace; 8/30/2010 4:08pm at .

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 5:56pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post
    I dunno. It sounds like you're trying to re-create some sort of nostalgia piece. I'd go for a functional, self-defense gun...before trying to do some sort of cool-looking, retro-Vietnam looking gun. Get the main one done---then get yourself a historical replica-gun.
    Yeah, I'm looking for a nostalgia piece.

I already have a mini 14 which I would use as a self defense rifle if I somehow ended up needing to. The gun I keep by my bed is a Ruger P97 and the same flashlight I used at Camp Skeletor. I wasn't really planning on keeping the rifle by my bed for home defense since I don't have any HP ammo. The Mosin Nagant and a few JSP cartridges are upstairs but obviously that isn't the first thing I'd want to use for self defense.

I guess the point is my skill with a rifle is probably not as good as my skill with a handgun and I don't have any gun mounted lights so my self defense plan at this time mostly amounts to a Ruger P series handgun and a flashlight.

If I were skillful with a rifle and had frangible or JHP ammo for it I suppose I could use it defensively, but I feel like I first must develop rifle skills or else it will just be silly for me to run around with a modern ergonomic rifle, and without the investment in lights and ammo that won't overpenetrate maybe it could be dangerous to try and use one in that capacity.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brother Ronin---you have *got* to ditch that Mini14, man. Those things are bad in ways that I simply don't have the space or time to get into. You need something that you can work on yourself, can easily upgrade, a platform that EVERYBODY has parts for, and you can accessorize the hell out of it. Most of them are balls-accurate out of the box (unlike the Mini14) and don't have near the failure weight or heat problems that the Mini14 does.

Sell it...use the proceeds to get yourself into a nice M4gery. Then...when you have some spare dollars, get yourself a carry-handle attachment with the rear sight assembly. You've then killed two birds with one stone. Get yourself a good light and a good sling for the gun, and you're good to go.

If you're paranoid about your home defense skills with rifles, roll with a Mossberg 590 or a Beretta 1200/1201 loaded with buckshot. You simply cannot lose.

You can get JHP for your .223 all day long for defensive purposes (and zombie invasions) for relatively cheap (around $8.00 for twenty). Load up about 2-3 mags for it, and you're set.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 6:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    My toy.

I like. Simple..the the point, lightweight--a definite winner.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 6:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, I am getting that the big reasons to get a M4 are availability of parts, ease of upgrade, and availability of accessories?

That makes sense. I don't think there are a lot of accessories for my mini 14 or WASR 10 AK.

Like, I'm not sure you can put a light on them without duct tape.

Happily, there is a Mossberg 590 in the house. I've even got some 00 shot for it.

Of course, now we are talking about practical self defense, as opposed to nostalgia or in my case more accurately historical interest, since I was born in the 80s.

I suppose what I really need to do is enter a few rifle competitions using a few rifles so I understand a little better their different feels.
    Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 8/30/2010 6:56pm at .
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 8:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    I already have a mini 14 which I would use as a self defense rifle if I somehow ended up needing to.
    Are you effing kidding me?

You just picked the one .556 rifle that is probably a worse piece of crap than the first generation M16 you're lusting over.

Brosef, get yourself a Delton, or Stag complete M4-gerey kit for less than $500 and never look back. You can start adding on cool stuff like a "fail zero BCG" or excessive railing later...

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 9:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Are you effing kidding me?

You just picked the one .556 rifle that is probably a worse piece of crap than the first generation M16 you're lusting over.

Brosef, get yourself a Delton, or Stag complete M4-gerey kit for less than $500 and never look back. You can start adding on cool stuff like a "fail zero BCG" or excessive railing later...
    Well originally my plan had been to use the AK 47, but someone recently pointed out to me that the AK 47 would look really, really bad in the courtroom.

EDIT: Deleted a chunk.
    Last edited by Wounded Ronin; 8/30/2010 9:35pm at .

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 9:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Skeletor View Post
    I dunno. It sounds like you're trying to re-create some sort of nostalgia piece. I'd go for a functional, self-defense gun...before trying to do some sort of cool-looking, retro-Vietnam looking gun. Get the main one done---then get yourself a historical replica-gun.
    If I went with the Del-Ton kit with the longer barrel, would that be terrible?

http://www.del-ton.com/Rifle_Kit_p/rkt102.htm

Apparently it can come with the detachable carrying handle, A1 style flash suppressor (woo!)...I suppose then I'd have to scrounge around for the other parts I want.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 9:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    An "A1"?

Get a time machine to 1968.
    I wish I could do that. :o

There'd be so much stuff I'd try and investigate and learn about. I'd hide in the bushes and observe hippies. I'd try Schlitz. I'd pick up a M1 Carbine, which today are getting increasingly expensive. They always cost more today when I see them than I am willing to pay for a dinged up piece of surplus. I'd try to find a 1911 that rattles. I'd eat some Wonderbread, and watch some TV. I'd start the ninja craze early! And of course, I'd pick up a Colt SP1. :0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast