Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Charlie Don't Surf

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 11:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My 4 3/4 year Old Daughter Just Had Her First Encounter with a Schoolyard Bully

I thought about posting this in YMAS, since it's not really a serious grown-up fighting technique issue, but it's not comedy either.

OK, so my soon-to-be 5 at the end of October daughter had her first experience with a schoolyard bully today. Sad, but inevitable. It's kind of hard to piece together exactly what happened, but this boy apparently likes to push other kids down. Somehow, he apparently managed to catch my daughter with an up kick and knock her back into some bookshelves where she banged her head, was knocked silly and got a big not on the back of her head. (not sure exactly why he was on his back to begin with - something seems to be missing here)

Before any of you ask, no, I did not go ape **** at the school. My main focus was on making sure that they'd checked to see that she didn't have a serious concussion. Pupils equal and reactive? Yes. OK. Any signs of dizziness or loss of ballance? No. OK. Nausea? No. OK. Drowsiness? No. OK. The day care attendants just let slip that this kid has a habit of doing this ****.

So, after the standard "what to do when you are bullied" talk with Gwyneth and Mrs. TEA tonight, Mrs. TEA and I talked and she agrees that it is probably about the time for me to start teaching Gwyneth some self defense. I don't want to start teaching her anything that is going to get her in trouble, though, should she over escalate a confrontation.

So, here's what I'm thinking for my "Intro to Self Defense for My Four Year Old" curriculum:
    1) Some Aikido based evasion and redirection - just get her used to lowering her center of gravity and getting out of the way of someone's attack. Also some basics on falling and rolling. Then
    2) Basic blocking techniques and positions and defenses on the ground; then
    3) when I know she's not going to go bat **** crazy on the first person to mess with her, covering up and throwing empty hand pushes (i.e. palm heal strikes) while yelling "stop bullying me"; then
    4) punches, kicks and subs on the ground

Each one of these steps could take several months and moving on to the next level would be dependent on her mastery of the previous level and her mental attitude.

Thoughts?
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 11:15pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I showed my daughter how to push.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 11:22pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have evil child removed from the school? Might explore idea that school could remove little criminal, and if not, you could threaten suit. If he's habitual then my lawyer, for instance, works by the 15 units, so maybe he could call and help dump the tiny sociopath.

Or like I did when 2nd grade daughter (wrong race and religion in lilly white mormon land) had little asswipe after her after school. I just went a little early to pick her up and had him pointed out. I told him that I was the daddy and I didn't like it what he was doing and YOU DON'T WANT TO MEET ME AGAIN?? DO YOU?? And sure enough he had no desire to get to know me better and bullying ended.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 11:34pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW last year I told my daughter to kick a kid in the head if he threw a hammer lock on her again. Now I know what you might think "excessive force" except I know my daughter's temperament. She would have a hard time hurting anybody on purpose. It was my litmus test to find out if the kid seriously try to hurt her. She finally admitted that maybe he didn't really mean to hurt her and they made up.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 11:47pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honest to God TEA, I'd teach her to hammer fist to the nose. Repeatedly. A good stiff jab to the nose can be a precursor.

Not likely she's going to hurt her hand.

No-one has the right to lay a hand on your precious daughter. Let the young man know this outright and your daughter the same.

Alternative-

Give her a match and a quart of flammable liquid. (-:

Serious,

Think about the nose at this young age.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 12:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA View Post
    So, here's what I'm thinking for my "Intro to Self Defense for My Four Year Old" curriculum:
    1) Some Aikido based evasion and redirection - just get her used to lowering her center of gravity and getting out of the way of someone's attack. Also some basics on falling and rolling. Then
    2) Basic blocking techniques and positions and defenses on the ground; then
    3) when I know she's not going to go bat **** crazy on the first person to mess with her, covering up and throwing empty hand pushes (i.e. palm heal strikes) while yelling "stop bullying me"; then
    4) punches, kicks and subs on the ground

Each one of these steps could take several months and moving on to the next level would be dependent on her mastery of the previous level and her mental attitude.

Thoughts?
    First step is have your daughter put her hands up and face level, like she is being robbed and say "I don't want to fight." Other kids will see and hear this and if asked about the situation later, they will likely remember this.
    It also facilitates her, you know, having her hands up so she *can* block and if she needs to punch, you know...her hands are up.

Learning how to actually breakfall without losing balance and getting the wind knocked out of you is good. If a kid pushes her and she falls, sometimes kids get scared actually falling and hitting the ground. If she knows how to do that and not be scared or hurt, it is easier having her know what to do.

Teach her how to get someone off her. If she gets pushed down and a kid sits on her chest or stomach, especially at age 5, that is scary as ****. If she knows how to escape, it seems less scary. You aren't going to be dealing with 5 yr. old BJJ practitioners and you won't need to worry about rules, just simple, simple escape techniques.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 1:49am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    teach her to smash that motherfuckers balls APART. leave him a crying little eunuch on the playmat, clutching the shreds where his tiny pecker used to be. girls can get away with that kind of ****. if it doesnt work, id follow fugs advice, rock up at school with some of my larger more island friends (may not work if you dont have any) and say that unless they want the mongrel mob raping their mum, they best leave **** alone.*

*this advice is probably not condoned by your local police force

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 6:37am

Style: Kickboxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with teaching basic punches. The problem is how far it can escilate. If they can, best to get them to become friends.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 10:41am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys are violent.

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 10:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My seven year old needs serious SD help, passive, uncoordinated. My 5 year old is a cross between a wolverine and a monkey.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast