Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 6:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

silat style help

hi how dose William Sanders Pukulan Cimande Pusaka silat compare to Dan Inosanto's maphilindo silat is it very different? are there any similarities? my only knowledge of silat is from watching dvds of dan's style also is Panantukan silat?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 8:32pm

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There aren't that many Silat stylists on the forum from what I can tell so I am not sure how many responses you will get. Hopefully I am wrong and you will get some good info but if not, you might consider FMAtalk or FMAforum as there are some silat stylists that hang out there. Heck, there might even be a silat forum out there somewhere that I am unaware of.

Good luck,

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 6:34am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't call panantukan silat. Panantukan is a skillset of Filipino arts about punching, elbowing etc. For technical questions about Pukulan vs Maphilindo silat, I think you'd want to talk to Jim Jude.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 7:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe Mark Hallbeck (sp?) put together FMA empty hands with Silat and that is what his style is called.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 12:30pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwinch2 View Post
    I believe Mark Hallbeck (sp?) put together FMA empty hands with Silat and that is what his style is called.
    As I understand it, panantukan in its original sense is not a separate martial art; it's a subset of different FMA styles. Kind of like how dumog describes grappling techniques, or pananjakman describes leg techniques. Panantukan describes dirty boxing techniques.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2010 7:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    As I understand it, panantukan in its original sense is not a separate martial art; it's a subset of different FMA styles. Kind of like how dumog describes grappling techniques, or pananjakman describes leg techniques. Panantukan describes dirty boxing techniques.
    I know. Marc Halleck, who is trained in both FMA and Silat, has combined the empty hand aspects of the FMA systems he has studied, with the takedowns and other aspects of Silat. He calls this style..., wait for it..., "Panantukan Silat". http://www.silatcombatives.com/pages/Panantukan45a.htm
    Last edited by jwinch2; 8/28/2010 7:33pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 3:07pm

Style: Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Halleck's Panantukan Silat is really just repackaged Inosanto Maphilindo Silat, just cut into pieces so you can buy lots of wallpaper (He's part of the Hochneim group).

Sanders' Cimande is the more common traditional silat, lots of forms and one-steps. From what I've seen Dan Inosanto's Silat is more focused on step-sparring and the solo forms come later if at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 11:40am

Style: sitembak silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmm they're both non indonesian so i don't know them. but from what i've seen silats in usa are pretty much the same. because u cant start a silat that's so different people will tell you it's fake. onthe other hand if u are indonesian in indonesia u can just claimed ur silat is new/secret/unpopular and it's ok.