Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 5:01pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

long island traditional school good with kids

I am trying to find a school in mid suffolk county for my 8 year old son. Had him in a Goju school that was not good. instructors drinking coffee on dojo floor, half instructors unable to preform kicks due to ailments. Anyway I want my son to get the disipline confidence and exercise along with basic fighting skills and when he is older he can move on to more of a grappling MMA style if that is his want. Can't believe how hard it is to find a good yet fun school. Took a demo class at another place and they had my son punching bricks without even showing him how to punch.

Any suggestions on a school for kids would be great.

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 2:12am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    where are you located specifically? If you're looking for a traditional type school, I trained at this school for a while: http://www.hicksvillekarate.com/
    I'm not a fan of a the whole traditional thing anymore, but they've always been very good with kids

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 11:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gutterfighting/Shorin-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The school I grew up in was great for kids. Sensei Robert Rowley (Kyoshi) is a student of Kyoshi Nabil Noujaim. He has a direct line to Hanshi Shugoro Nakazato in Okinawa, traveling and training there at least twice a year. He is amazing with children and adults as well. His school is traditional Shorin-Ryu. Lisa Strack teaches the children a majority of the time I believe. She is a yondon in karate and kobudo and has been with Kyoshi Rowley for a very long time.

The website is www.ryukyushorinkan.com

I will say I miss training there very very much. My life is just going in another direction MA wise.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 11:18am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LOBRIM View Post
    Took a demo class at another place and they had my son punching bricks without even showing him how to punch.
    Sorry, I have to ask was this a Goju school in Bohemia?

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 6:12pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun Assassin View Post
    Sorry, I have to ask was this a Goju school in Bohemia?
    Well the school he was in classes for about two months was in Hauppauge. Actually a great organization but this one school is the weak link in the line. I did have him take a trail class at a Goju school that was in Bohemia. I knew I was in for it when the head of the school got dressed in his gi to for the first class and it was frayed and filthy. I almost pulled my son out after 5 minutes seeing the ridiculous stuff that was going on but didn't want to embarrass the instructor.

That made me decide to go without my son and watch classes first before even having him take the free class most are willing to give. The amount of garbage out there is overwhelming.
    Last edited by LOBRIM; 8/26/2010 6:19pm at .

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 6:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The school I grew up in was great for kids. Sensei Robert Rowley (Kyoshi) is a student of Kyoshi Nabil Noujaim. He has a direct line to Hanshi Shugoro Nakazato in Okinawa, traveling and training there at least twice a year. He is amazing with children and adults as well. His school is traditional Shorin-Ryu. Lisa Strack teaches the children a majority of the time I believe. She is a yondon in karate and kobudo and has been with Kyoshi Rowley for a very long time.

The website is www.ryukyushorinkan.com

I will say I miss training there very very much. My life is just going in another direction MA wise.
    thanks I will check it out. I am in Bohemia so not too far is great.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/26/2010 8:51pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to check out the school in Bohemia for myself a while back. Coming from Shorin-Ryu I decided to give Goju-Ryu a shot. Another member here had a run-in with him a little while back.

When I went to talk to him about training he was all about street fighting and his criminal connections, talking down about Harlem Goju. It was all nonsense.

Happy to hear you pulled your son from there. I wish all parents would.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 5:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any luck LOBRIM?

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 1:04pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to check out the school in Bohemia for myself a while back. Coming from Shorin-Ryu I decided to give Goju-Ryu a shot. Another member here had a run-in with him a little while back.

When I went to talk to him about training he was all about street fighting and his criminal connections, talking down about Harlem Goju. It was all nonsense.

Happy to hear you pulled your son from there. I wish all parents would.
    Was he bad mouthing Harlem Goju ???

I competed against one of them recently , And he was very good and a really super good guy . Very Humble and we had a great match very spirited , We banged each other up but afterwards we were like comrades.
    BTW he came out on top on points but the reason I had to post the guy was aces. So nothing bad about Harlem Goju here.
    Move along citizen ,nothing to see here !!!!!

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    9/06/2010 6:55pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check out Long Island Ninjutsu Centers. Very good with the kids. They are an ex-Genbukan school that kinda play up the ninja thing, but their stuff is a good mix of Ninpo, Jujutsu and Karate. I know the owner, very respected Martial Artist and great with the kids.

http://lininja.com/