Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 1:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Footwork Question

Was playing around with some pivots during sparring on Monday and was impressed at how they allowed me to avoid punches and reset my angle to attack.

Here is what I was doing...I would block the left (either jab or hook) with my right and time my pivot with his right...as soon as I saw the cross coming, I would pivot on my left foot, swing my back foot around and just miss getting hit. I would then be in a favorable angle which allowed me to land some clean punches.

I had success with this, but can't help but think that I'm doing something wrong. I'm going to visit my instructor about it tonight, but wanted to get some opinions on this first.

Also...if this the wrong forum, I apologize...and just as an FYI this is a kickboxing class.

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 1:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am lost do you finish on his left hand side or right hand side?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 1:48pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    His right...it was a subtle angle difference as my front foot stayed in the same location. Hard to explain really...it was fun, but I kept expecting to walk into a punch or something...it just didn't feel right and nobody ever taught it to me; it just sort of happened and I thought, "well that was neat, lets try it again". And then it kept working. More than anything, I'm just asking if anybody else on here has had any experience using a pivot as defensive footwork.

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 2:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you are doing a quarter turn off. I will try to find a vid.
    Have a look at eli maddigan
    YouTube- Soren Mongkontong vs Eli Madigan @ Evolution 12 (Part 2)

At about the 1 minute mark
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 8/25/2010 2:25pm at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 2:36pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long have you been training? That is a pretty normal way to make angles and move around you opponent. Stepping off at a 45 is another good one for kickboxing but pivoting is more common in boxing.

As much as I hate to say it this is one piece of karate footwork that IS "hidden in the kata"

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 2:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been training BJJ for almost 2 years now...just started kickboxing/mma fairly recently.

That video is it in a nutshell...thanks for the find. I'll visit with the instructor tonight and see if he can work with me on it...had no idea it was a basic move. I thought for sure that I had stumbled upon some holy grail of footwork or that I was a budding Floyd Mayweather.

I guess I'll just shut up and train now.

Thanks guys.

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 3:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To make your pivot faster/better, don't swing your back foot around, cut the semi-circle you'd be making into a straight line step. This prevents your weight falling back on your heels and needing to recover from your pivot before you can throw a punch. Congrats, you're doing krotty. :p

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 3:47pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Machida Karate-do to the rescue! No pee-pee drinking required.

YouTube- Lyoto Machida's Elusive Footwork

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 4:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you mean I did karate completely by accident? Wow! Expect a question tomorrow along the lines, "So I was on my way to a sparring session and I saw a praying mantas..."

Again, thanks a lot guys...that last one is exactly what I was doing!

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 9:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The footwork in the Machida video looks a bit awkward to me. Machida is doing a very long sweeping step with his leg on that second step to get around a very small forward motion by his opponent. That second step is a rather lengthy period of time where the stance has to be reestablished before Machida can effectively strike or defend. Also what's strange to me is the fist step basically puts Machida directly in front of the other guy's danger zone, so if the guy threw a 1-2 (rather then 1... 2) he'd be stepping right into it.

I understand this video is trying to demonstrate using pivots to put yourself at awkward angles, but why is he moving to the left just so he can make a huge step back over to the right? The fist step seems both risky and pointless. When they zoom in on Machida's feet it's very apparent that his footwork is awkwardly complex.

It would be better from my understanding to simply take a greater step (or two quick step jabs) to entirely clear your opponent's right hand, creating a very strong set up for your own right hand (or kick) OR (if you really love to pivot, like I do) do a step pivot around the jab to set up a hook (or liver kick).
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast