1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 8:23am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr P View Post
    Nice job man, I will be watching it for sure, however i was just saying a few days ago to a guy in the gym that i may go and live in the US for a few years but your stats at the beginning have made me think twice, 71,000 Home invasions?? Does that mean the same thing as it does in the UK, Here it means people invade your home whilst you are in it as opposed to a burglary which is when you are not there?
    Don't forget the population difference.
    UK: 60 million
    US: 300 million

The US is 5 times bigger than the UK. In the UK that would be equivalent to 14,200 Home invasions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 8:45am

Style: MMA / BJJ / Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    on a per-capita basis the UK is far more dangerous than the US

The website in this link obviously has an agenda but the statistics it links to from the EU are startling

http://wheelgun.blogspot.com/2007/01...ime-in-us.html

The claim that the UK is more dangerous than south Africa is obviously bullshit. This is based on "reported" crime.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 9:09am

Style: Jerry-Bashing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr P View Post
    Nice job man, I will be watching it for sure, however i was just saying a few days ago to a guy in the gym that i may go and live in the US for a few years but your stats at the beginning have made me think twice, 71,000 Home invasions?? Does that mean the same thing as it does in the UK, Here it means people invade your home whilst you are in it as opposed to a burglary which is when you are not there?
    Don't be put off, America is by-and-large a surprisingly safe, courteous and civilized country. I grew up in south London and have lived in the states for almost nine years, and while I regularly read about people getting shot up in bad neighbourhoods over drugs, I've never encountered anything like the casual, anti-social street hostility that was part of British daily life. In fact, I'm much more worried about getting a smack in the mouth for no reason when I go home than I am here, and I've never even seen a gun that wasn't being carried by a cop or someone going hunting. I suppose I have the privilege of living in a decent area, but I still live in the middle of a city, it's not exactly the Hamptons.

My first week in America, I was in a bar in New York and a punch up broke out, and I thought "crap, what have I done." It turned out to be a British tourist exporting his regular pub behaviour.

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 9:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    I can tell you, I sure as hell feel a lot safer in Seoul than I do in say San Diego or Orlando.
    That's because in Korea everybody is packing, isn't it?

Yours truly

Posted On:
    8/27/2010 9:41am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, while armed citizens surely decrease crime significantly, it is probably the culture, lack of prevalence of drug use, and homogeneity that keep conflicts low. (note i love diversity) Can't even carry a knife there. Note I'm talking about murder rates. People get drunk (or sober actually) and fight all the time. (read anglo pub behavior above) but that is very different from life and death situations, unless you got some crazy people mixed in.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456