Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Central London, wanted good instructor with few students

I am looking for a good instructor in and around Central London who does not have too many students, and teaches a practical form of self defense - strikes, takedowns, ground work, sparring. I am not looking for a well-established school.

The search function turns up schools more of the Gracie size and type. My first preference is finding a hidden gem, by word of mouth

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I am looking for a good instructor in and around Central London who does not have too many students, and teaches a practical form of self defense - strikes, takedowns, ground work, sparring. I am not looking for a well-established school.

The search function turns up schools more of the Gracie size and type. My first preference is finding a hidden gem, by word of mouth

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer. Join us... or die

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't cross post.

Also, why? I don't care which system you train: the more students, the more training partners, the greater the depth of skill to draw from, the more you'll develop.

One on one is great, but it'll only take you so far. Karate Kid isn't actually based on real life.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy crap, you are spamming up multiple forums. Stop. Go mto Newbietown and introduce yourself. Read the stickies.

Style
    Trad Ju Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcan75 View Post

Well, here goes again - no post last time.

What is your MA experience? What have you trained in? To what level?

Fitness? Age? What are your aspirations? Self Defence? MMA? Da Kumite?

Without this sort of info, it's difficult to suggest any help.

I would caution one thing: don't expect too much in the way of a "hidden gem" - Instructors have to cover their costs too (if they can).

:happy3:

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi I am 35, fit to the extent that I regularly do weights, can run 5 miles and can move fast. Have done karate and krav maga before, was taught a bit of grappling.

Having tried out various instructors where I was living before (outside London, in Croydon) - I did come across two who were mind blowing. One worked as a bouncer, had coached the African army before, and now heads a security firms, so he stopped teaching. He used to teach a mix of striking arts, grappling and weapons.

The good thing with small number of students is that you get to spar a lot with the instructor more, or with a senior student, whom you can attack without worrying of hurting them. At the same time, you know they can hurt you just enough without causing injuries. Which is important for me.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi I am 35, fit to the extent that I regularly do weights, can run 5 miles and can move fast. Have done karate and krav maga before, was taught a bit of grappling.

Having tried out various instructors where I was living before (outside London, in Croydon) - I did come across two who were mind blowing. One worked as a bouncer, had coached the African army before, and now heads a security firms, so he stopped teaching. He used to teach a mix of striking arts, grappling and weapons.
    The African army? There's no such thing as the African army! Africa is comprised of dozens of sovereign states he may have trained an African army, but given how crap the kit and training is for most African armed forces I can't imagine their martial arts training would be particularly stellar either. Especially considering that most Western armies have sub-standard combatives or MA training.

If you want a 'hidden gem' of excellent MA applicable to self defense, I know a place that is pretty small and out of the way, not a lot of students and is a really friendly place, its called the Budokwai:
    http://www.budokwai.co.uk/

Check it out, pop along on a Tuesday or Thursday at 6.30pm or if you can't make that because of work then try Saturday at 3.30pm.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. I have heard of the Budokwai, will check it out next week.

I was under the impression there would be many students as it is a well-known school. If you know of any serious injuries in the beginners/intermediate class, let me know.

Cheers

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    . If you know of any serious injuries in the beginners/intermediate class, let me know.

Cheers
    Judo is a contact/combat sport therefore it often results in aches and pains sometimes results in minor injuries and can result in major injuries. In this way its no different than something like Rugby.

The only situation that you will get injured is if you or someone else does something stupid or if you're very unlucky. Just like when you get in your car in the morning you're only going to get injured if you or someone else does something stupid or if you're very unlucky.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last