Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chow Gar S/Style Preying Mantis Kung Fu

My Ex B/F has recently started a martial art, im told, is called Chow Gar Southern Style Preying Mantis Kung Fu, He told me, that they only spar semi-contact beacause if it was practicsed at a full contact level, it would "Brake" people.

My current B/F, who trains in Thai Boxing and MMA has told me that this way of thinking is silly and reckons it's just an excuse of the instructor to cover his lack of experience/talent.

do you think what these kung fu guys are saying is true and how effective do you think training like this is.

Style
    Striking/Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Generally, for any skill, this is a basic rule:

To get good at something, you have to do it.

So if you want to be good at semi-contact sparring then yes, it's great training.

If you want to be good at full-contact fighting you're very likely better off doing something with harder contact.

And if you want to learn how to play guitar, I suggest you pick up a guitar.

So basically, yes, your current boyfriend would beat your ex senseless.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hiya, thanks very much. To be honest I'm just a little concerned that my ex is being led up the garden path so to speak seeing as he's being told he could break people if he used that martial art in a full contact style. Just struck me as being brainwashing.....

Style
    Northern Shaolin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess it would depend on how accurate your information is. He could be misstating or musinderstanding the curriculum or even the intent of the statements being made.

Do you have a link for the school he attends?

If they claim to have 'teh deadlez' hands but cant use them or people will explode, thats quite another thing altogether.

From what you are stating here, with no further information, I could tell you I feel like something is being left out.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In all fairness to your ex his style does have a cooler sounding name.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    welcome to Bullshido.
    While this thread could certainly turn into a Scott Pilgrim vs. the World style event, I am going to say your current is probably closer to the truth then your ex.

Style
    Trad. JuJitsu, SanShou
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My 2c:

Well, if you still care enough about him ask him what his motivations are.

If he wants to do forms and learn how to to not "break" people, Chow Gar Back Fist Salamander sounds like it'd be perfect.

Like Snake says - your current boyfriend's training is more spot on.

Style
    Univ. Florida Kickboxing
    PDS Rifles
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Midian, I commend you for having insight to know that one sounds a bit fishy. With the amount of information we have it is hard to tell; however, more likely than not your current one is correct.

Now, how about you? Are you practicing a martial art or plan to practice in one?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most martial arts do have techniques that can maim or kill people- notwithstanding blunt trauma to the head, you've also got armbars and various other techniques that can break a bone. Holding back on these is pretty much the norm everywhere (including your boyfriend's school), and there is a chance that your guy's teacher calls their practice "partial contact" because they don't fight to the death when doing drills. There are many schools that call their training "full contact," but they still have reasonable restrictions on the kind of force they use when fighting one another.

Of course, for all I know they only use skin-touch point sparring, or only use light contact compliant drills and no sparring. There's not really any way to find out without visiting the school.

Style
    running
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say its bs. If I remember correctly southern mantis is pretty garden variety kung fu. Relatively simple, low kicks, mainly striking. I saw a bit of it when I was a kid, my brother did some lessons and I don't recall anything particularly nasty about the style except for the usual smash you in the face kind of thing. They had some unique punches employing the first knuckle but unless they're training for full contact I can't see it being better than any of the other simple striking kung fu's. Just not going to stand up against someone training for a real fight like a kickboxer.
    Last edited by laughingmonkey; 8/16/2010 9:13pm at .

Page 1 of 2 12 Last