Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 3:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Best place to start?

Hey i am currently planning to have a martial arts based vacation to china with my friend. We are currently trying to estimate a price including travel food etc everything, where would be the best place for us to start out our journey? Shanghai or Hong Kong? which of these is good for learning Wushu/Kung Fu, are we better off going to Shanghai or Hong Kong, i would really like some responses from people who have been so i can get a good idea.

Thanks

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 4:26pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you interested in any style in particular? Because lots of them come from various villages, with the old kwoons etc. My old choy li fut group went to King Mui in Guangdong, and checked out Chan Heung’s (the founder) kwoon and how they trained there. I was most impressed by the demos done by some of the children. I don’t know how much you plan on trying to learn either, but I would go mostly to see the culture surrounding the arts since I’m not sure how much you’ll be able to internalize in a short amount of time. I’d recommend looking up some excellent shuai jiao locations, as you will see their kung fu applied noncooperatively and training with a good shuai jiao player can be fun (it’s like a bunch of really short amusement park rides that end when you hit the mat) and you won’t get punched in the face. I hear that Shaolin is mostly a performance wushu tourist trap, but if you’re going to China for martial arts you should go at least to say that you did it. We had some Shaolin monks who were in San Diego for a traveling show, and we did a lion dance for their show opening so they did a demo for us at the kung fu school before they left. There was some very impressive displays of tumbling, leg strength and flexibility, but it did strike me as being extremely wushu-like (my favorite part was watching my sifu’s expression when one of them was raking the hell out of the new Swain mats with some long chain whips).

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 4:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we wouldnt want to SEE martial we would want to LEARN. We wuold definetly be interested in learning performance wushu or even discovering many types of martial arts, after all we may be out in hchina for 2 months to 4 months because we will be there in our university gap years. It seems the place for us at the moment is Shanghai