Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 12:46pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Warcraft 3

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ryerson University BJJ Club

Hey guys, I wasn't sure which forum to shove this into so feel free to move it pesky moderators.

My university, Ryerson (Toronto, Canada) does not have any decent grappling clubs. No wrestling, bjj, or even crappling.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...7453522&ref=mf

I decided to put up a facebook group and advertise the idea. Hopefully there are atleast 10+ people who are very interested and serious about helping me start the club.

Any advice you guys can give me for advertising this casual university club? My school is really poor for the athletics.:5help:

Thanks

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 12:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    my bad on double post

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 4:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who would be in charge of instruction?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 1:46am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess myself unless someone more experienced comes by. It would be free (obviously) or atleast a minimum cost like 30 dollars a semester (whatever the Ryerson Gym charges).

I just want to do BJJ while I am on campus, continue to learn. And I don't mind teaching people who are new in exchange I improve my top game and submissions.

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 11:15am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clubs are an OK option as opposed to not rolling. However, with nobody skilled it's tougher - you just can't progress as quickly. Try and find a decent BJJ school, train there a couple times and see if there's a BJJ purple at least who might want the experience of teaching newbs and rolling at least once a week. That's a win/win situation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 2:11pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having been down the "we'll get together and teach ourselves" road myself, I must warn you that it's slow and frustrating going. Certainly better than nothing assuming you know enough to identify any bad habits you pick up. On top of that, rolling only with newbs is likely to put you in a super passive mindset which can be hard to get rid of once you move on to a bigger pond.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 1:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I already have a regular gym, but with Gayiversity id probably only be able to go 2-3 times per week as opposed to my 6+ usual

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 2:07am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And your old gym is uptown as opposed to this downtown university.

Do what every other club does, post print out ads in the locker rooms. Some in the random bulletin boards around campus. There are plenty of 'Vote for me' ads there already. Facebook is a good idea, other than word of mouth I don't think you need much more.

Watch out for that Mike Short person with the weird stance display picture, gotta be careful of people 'trying to break into MMA' and can't spell 'really.'

I assume you've started the process to get university approval for the club, to secure time slot and all that?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 12:55pm

Style: The grapply boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure what Ryerson's policy on gym use by non-Students is, but I live in the area, and I need to brush up on my crappling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 1:25pm

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is your goal to have a club at the University or is it to attend a club? There are a couple of judo & bjj clubs right on the Bloor subway line that I can think of off the top of my head...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast