Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 11:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would like to say that I have met Sensei Jessie on several occasions and that he is a very passionate martial artist and a very nice guy all around. Regardless of the legitimacy of Mr. Perkins' BJJ background I do believe that Sensei Jessie believed everything to be on the up and up.

Earlier I spoke with my own instructor and with his blessing I have asked Mr. Perkins to roll with me. With all due to respect to Sensei Jessie, a class full of newcomers to the sport of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, even a blue belt would seem highly skilled, so it would not be difficult to claim a higher belt to said newcomers and seem legitimate. I myself am only a blue belt and so it would become very quickly obvious in a roll if Mr. Perkins were legitimately at the skill level he claims.

Interestingly enough though, in speaking to my instructor about this he says that Don Perkins had contacted him about private BJJ lessons for his son. Why a 2nd degree black belt would ask for privates for his son from a brown belt I do not know. It became a little clearer when I heard that he wanted his son to have the private lessons and that he wanted to be there to watch.

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 12:35am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJJinRI View Post
    I would like to say that I have met Sensei Jessie on several occasions and that he is a very passionate martial artist and a very nice guy all around. Regardless of the legitimacy of Mr. Perkins' BJJ background I do believe that Sensei Jessie believed everything to be on the up and up.
    Since you've met him, how big is Sensei Jesse? In the instructor bio photos, he appears to be on the slender side, while Don Perkins appears to be a lot bigger. According to Sensei Jesse's own post above, he's been training with Perkins and is still new to BJJ. Now if a smaller person new to BJJ is training with a bigger, stronger person who has some grappling skills--albeit not BJJ BB grappling skills--the smaller newb would be unaware of the skill differential between a bigger, stronger person with some grappling skills and bigger, stronger person with BJJ BB grappling skills.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 12:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sensei Jessie is indeed slender, but not short. I'd estimate 5'9" or so. From the pictures I've seen of Mr. Perkins he looks slightly shorter, but more broadly built.

Don't mess with the Mega-Buster

Posted On:
    8/25/2010 3:58pm

supporting member
     Style: A+B, D-Pad

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I kind of feel bad for guys like this, I bet they watch TUF and youtube highlights of Jacare' and just WANT it so bad but are afraid of the ego crushing defeat (as well as glorious victory) they will suffer day and night for years in class and in competition on the road to black belt. I'm sure his heart is in the right place, but his mind is definitely elsewhere.

I mean c'mon Perkins, say your sorry and go to 2 swords, be real about Jiujitsu. You're obviously enthusiastic enough. TRAIN
    Secret moves such as hitting a thing with your hand and hitting a thing with your leg have been stolen and degenerated by arts like karate, boxing, muay-thai, Kung-fu, and basketball. -Epicurious

I for one welcome our new Ninja overlords.
    -Whiteshark

I figure fighting a group of chunners would be like water torture, its not the force as such, just the constant trickle of chain punches wearing down your sanity. -The Juggernoob

Defense Against the Homeless Seminar, 2008

Posted On:
    8/29/2010 10:38am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MACP, Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perkins has been on the RI MMA/BJJ radar for a bit. We've had guys from Tim Burrills train there, and report back that he's horrible. Gabetuno had done some MA investigating in the past. Maybe he'd feel up to doing this one as well. I'd do it, but Gabe's much better than me and I'd be embarrassed if I got my ass kicked by a faker :) Actually, Gabe is very good at keeping it professional while also exposing the BS.

--edit--for anyone not following the mirrored thread on The Underground, it looks like Mat Santos might be making an appearance at Villaris to speak to Perkins. If you guys don't know Mat, he's a black belt under Tim Burrill and is a staple in the New England MMA/BJJ scene.
    Last edited by fidgit; 8/29/2010 10:41am at .

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 3:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm down to go with Mat. In fact I'll talk to him about it this weekend, and see if he wants someone to tag along, if only for entertainment. If he's too busy, as I suspect he might be, I'm certainly willing to go on my own.

Timmy, wanna be my camera man? :-D

P.S. I'm currently reading all the posts, will be well familiarized by tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 3:15pm

Style: TKD BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    I'm down to go with Mat. In fact I'll talk to him about it this weekend, and see if he wants someone to tag along, if only for entertainment. If he's too busy, as I suspect he might be, I'm certainly willing to go on my own.

Timmy, wanna be my camera man? :-D

P.S. I'm currently reading all the posts, will be well familiarized by tonight.
    Just to let you know, there is a chance you won't find him. I've just received an email from the guy who runs the school (jesse) stating that he's taken down the website page concerning Perkins, canceled the BJJ class, and cut off relations with him. I was going to let him post first, but don't want you guys to make the trip and find out he isn' there.

Anyway, I think Jesse will be making his own statement on this thread soon, so I will let him do so.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 3:37pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In other news, I'm in Rhode Island next week Tuesday to Wednesday. Might have biz dinner with the board of directors, but should be free later. Anyone want to hang out, shoot the ****, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 8:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to thank all of those at “Bullshido” and in the BJJ community for your service in bringing the matter of Don Perkin’s BJJ rank and fight record credentials to my attention. I have been looking into all of this over the last week in an effort to find out what is and what isn’t his credentials. This has all been a surprise and shock to me as I thought he was being truthful about his background and rank level.When I first started working with Don (about 2 and a half years ago) we met privately, one on one. He said he is Afro-Brazilian, grew up in Arizona and had been doing BJJ most of his life and would be happy to share his art with me. He said he learned from his father and his uncle. I was interested in learning from him as I was fairly new to the “groundgame” and BJJ. I found him to be a very knowledgeable teacher and that he was very skillful in grappling. This went on for several months. Eventually he started inviting other people to these sessions and it evolved into a small informal class that ended up meeting on Friday evenings. From the beginning I did check on the net looking for sources to validate his claims before allowing him to instruct others at the school. In my search on “Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Don Perkins”, I did find a Wikipedia site that listed his name including his middle initial grouped with other black belts in BJJ which seemed to validate his claim of being a well known black belt and perhaps reputable fighter. At the time I copied the Wikipedia page for my records. I do not know if this is still up on Wikipedia. Here is the sentence as it appeared:

On average it takes 8-15 years to achieve Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu with the fastest being 4 years ,Lloyd Irvin, B.J. Penn, Don A. Perkins, many Gracie Family Members, et. al.

Looking back on it now I realize it is fairly easy for anyone to edit the content on Wikipedia. So this is obviously not enough “hard evidence” of his rank. He knew a lot about BJJ, its history and had a lot of skill so I believed him. I thought “Who would go out of their way to put a name here that wouldn’t belong?” and “If a name that wasn’t appropriate to be here were put here on Wikipedia wouldn’t it be taken down fast by those in the BJJ community?” If things are not checking out now with his credentials then it appears someone may have inserted his name here inappropriately. At the time, when I was researching it, it seemed to substantiate his name in the BJJ community.

In addition, He has spoken of his fight record (263-0!) many times with me and with others. He said that it was up on the internet and one of his friends pulled it up for him. Up to this moment I still have not been able to find anything on the net to verify this record. When I told him or other guys told him we couldn’t find it he insisted it was up on the net, that he has seen it and perhaps it was taken down. On many occasions after this I did try to verify his fight record and find out more about him on the net as it would be an unbelievable accomplishment to really have 263-0 as a fight record. This claim led to the inevitable red flag to “Bullshido” and the BJJ community. I told Don, in person, several times that I would post his record and a short bio about him with a picture of him on the school website. I sent him a link via email so that he could see it. I figured if this unbelievable fight record wasn’t accurate he would have told me to change things. He never told me to change the information.

At this point, I assumed it must be true for him to let me post it on the website. For some reason I thought he said he was a 3rd at one point, but he did say he was a 2nd, so I apologize for putting him as a 3rd. Even so, he could have told me to fix this error when I sent him the link which had him as a 3rd and he never did. He has said he isn’t that good on the internet and with email. Perhaps it slipped past his radar. This I do not know. I do know I told him I sent him the email with the link to the website of his bio and to check it out. I told him to let me know if he wanted me to change anything. That is why that information was up there the way it was.He claimed to fight with Naga Fighter up until 2000 (the year he said he retired after getting his eye gouged in a match and had to have eye surgery to fix) and said he had about 30 fights with them through the 90’s. I recently checked in with the guys at Naga and they said he never fought with them. I’ve been asking Don to present his credentials so that I can back him up and support him in his claims. I’ve asked for 2 things: 1) his certificate of rank to prove that he is a 2nd degree BlackBelt in BJJ (“Gracie Barra” lineage is what I believe he said). AND 2) specific information regarding his fight record (names of opponents, dates, organizations, etc). As of now, he has yet to get back to me on any of this.

Based on this I have REMOVED HIM FROM THE WEBSITE, CANCELED HIS FRIDAY EVENING CLASS and HAVE CUT TIES WITH HIM AS AN INSTRUCTOR at our school. After what I have learned and now know I cannot hold him up as a credible instructor in BJJ.

From my observation and experience he was a good martial arts instructor. He had a written curriculum, he introduced some of the philosophy which included the “EWAFs” (Earth Water Air Fire) in relation to grappling, he had some written material about BJJ philosophy, he gave some written quizzes, he worked well with students and conducted himself in a professional manner while on the matt. He would coach students well while they were free rolling. He shared a wealth of material, drills,submissions and was very skillful in how he flowed from one lock and position to another. He would teach the counters and re-counters from various positions and grips. He would open for questions and always had really good solutions and answers to all kinds of scenarios. I’ve seen him roll with a wide variety of people of different sizes and skill levels, some who were ranked in BJJ (however, I never saw him roll with another black belt), and he looked relaxed and in control of his game. He would hit submissions from all kinds of positions and students would tap. When instructing and rolling with a student he would also often hit a submission then let it go and always came back to focusing on how to coach and help the student improve. He also refused to be paid for teaching. So he wasn’t in this “for the money.” Don taught because he loves BJJ.

So, up until learning about his credentials being in question, I’ve felt good about him as an instructor. Because I am new to BJJ, until he presents his certificate of rank there is no way I could determine if he is actually ranked as 2nd degree or not. It is up to Don to back up and substantiate his claims at this point. I do wish him the best and feel bad that he has apparently either stretched the truth or outright misrepresented himself.
    Once again thank you to the BJJ and “Bullshido” community for bringing this matter to our attention. From this point forward if people have issues with Don Perkins and his credentials they will have to communicate with him directly. His Class is canceled and he is no longer instructing at our school on Friday evenings. He is no longer associated with us. As the saying goes, “May we know the Truth and may it set us free.”At its best that’s what “Bullshido” is all about, bringing the Truth to light.So keep up the good work! All the Best!
    Last edited by Scrapper; 9/01/2010 10:04am at . Reason: Font color unreadable!

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 9:55am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a tough story, my friend. It happens all the time, though. I'm sure there is a qualified grappling instructor in your area you can pilfer!.

PS....I changed your font color cuz we couldn't read it!!!
    Last edited by Scrapper; 9/01/2010 10:00am at .
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast