Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 11:04pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can probably get to a class. I am no bjj curriculum expert though. Most would consider me a fair grappler, however.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 7:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just so I'm clear in keeping score, what we have so far is:

1. Claim of 2nd or 3rd degree BB in BJJ
    2. Lineage coming from Donde Vlarble through an unamed Gracie 35 years ago
    3. 263 wins in BJJ comps (possibly in an alternate universe devoid of records)
    4. Claims that this BJJ is some hybrid varient that may or may not resemble BJJ as we know it

Am I up to speed?

I anticipate that shortly we will enjoy postings from a current/past student who will:

1. Ensure us that this guy is the "real deal"
    2. Invite us to come down and "Check it out for ourselves"
    3. Lecture us on respect.

Ok, let's go.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 9:05am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah the Black Dragon Fighting Society references I found on this guy was enough for me to not look much farther. That is the quintessential full of crap organization.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 10:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    Just so I'm clear in keeping score, what we have so far is:

1. Claim of 2nd or 3rd degree BB in BJJ
    2. Lineage coming from Donde Vlarble through an unamed Gracie 35 years ago
    3. 263 wins in BJJ comps (possibly in an alternate universe devoid of records)
    4. Claims that this BJJ is some hybrid varient that may or may not resemble BJJ as we know it
    1) The site has one reference to 2nd and one to 3rd. In correspondence with me he says that he's second and that he never claimed otherwise.

2) Donde Vlarble is a supposed Brazilian who traveled to the US with Mr. Perkins father and trained his father, brothers and Mr. Perkins himself. He conveniently never taught at a school and "cut ties" with _______ Gracie who trained him. I'm guessing that Vlarble must be at least a 3rd degree if he's able to promote Mr. Perkins to 2nd.

3. Yes.

4. He claims a mixture of BJJ and Luta Livre. Also he says that he's taken his BJJ "to the extreme" and that he focused a lot on the stand up and take downs "since that's where things start." He also claims a lot of other BJJ instructors have tried to steal his style. This particularly irks me because any worthwhile BJJ practitioner knows that anything that works is supposed to be adapted into our games...this isn't about hokey B.S. secret techniques.

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 11:03am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Yeah the Black Dragon Fighting Society references I found on this guy was enough for me to not look much farther. That is the quintessential full of crap organization.
    I'm pleased to see that you appreciate the substance of my terse little post above (# 32) calling the board's attention to that overlooked tidbit in Mr. Perkins' bio; it apparently went over the head of a particular moderator who assessed me an infraction for posting it.

Anyone's claim to be a part of the Black Dragon Fighting Society should be a red flag for bullshido, as all kinds of frauds have been known to associate themselves with that "lineage." Here's a link to the infamous founder of the BDFS:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_Dante

Don't mess with the Mega-Buster

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 11:30am

supporting member
     Style: A+B, D-Pad

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    all he had to do is train real BJJ across town for 6 months or a year to get his Blue then he could have hung out on Fridays at the karate school impressing all the TMA-ers with his SICK SUBMISSIONS. Now he's gonna get roasted all over the nets and random cauliflowered dudes are gonna keep showing up to throw him in " the twister" and take his picture.
    Secret moves such as hitting a thing with your hand and hitting a thing with your leg have been stolen and degenerated by arts like karate, boxing, muay-thai, Kung-fu, and basketball. -Epicurious

I for one welcome our new Ninja overlords.
    -Whiteshark

I figure fighting a group of chunners would be like water torture, its not the force as such, just the constant trickle of chain punches wearing down your sanity. -The Juggernoob

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 11:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are folks on the UG saying I should have just played the role of newbie student and showed up with a friend, rolled with him and had it videoed. I did consider this (and still would roll with him even though the cat is out of the bag) but I decided against doing it before confronting him because what I'm accusing him of is lying about his rank and experience. Lying about my own rank and experience to call him a fraud just seemed like the wrong thing to do.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 4:09pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cull:
    DoD doesn't like the harsher MABS policies. - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Please argue policy in the above thread.

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 10:40pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shaolin Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Regarding Don Perkins and BJJ

I will speak more with Don Perkins about ways to verify his fight record for the BJJ community. He told me it was on line somewhere under Naga Fighter and that he fought through them for a good amount of time. I had
    trouble finding the link and finding info on him on line too. Until there is a way I know to publicly validate it...I have removed the fight record from the website.

I've been in martial arts for over 20 years and from what I can see Don is an amazing martial artist who really knows his stuff in the realm of BJJ. He has been teaching classes to a small group of dedicated guys and has been very generous with sharing his knowlege and time. He teaches from his heart because he loves the art.

I'll be sure to get his certificates from his BJJ lineage and such and scan them and post them on the website to clear up any confusion. He started
    training me in BJJ about 2 years ago and has been teaching on Friday nights. I am still pretty knew to BJJ.

I would never put any lies on our website that I knew of. I've trusted Don
    and his skill and knowledge in BJJ speaks for itself when you see him in action. But I will look more closely into this and speak with Don about this. Thanks for letting me know.

I also apologize if I put him as a 3rd when he was a 2nd somewhere on the website. That was my mistake. He did tell me he was a 2nd.

All the Best!
    Sensei Jesse

Villari's Martial Arts

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    8/24/2010 10:51pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by senseijesse View Post
    I will speak more with Don Perkins about ways to verify his fight record for the BJJ community. He told me it was on line somewhere under Naga Fighter and that he fought through them for a good amount of time. I had
    trouble finding the link and finding info on him on line too. Until there is a way I know to publicly validate it...I have removed the fight record from the website.
    Jesse,

Thank you for taking the time to come on here and follow-up. Any input on the matter is greatly appreciated and it is nice that you are open to helping to verify his information. The faster everything can be verified, the faster everything can be closed up.

The biggest concern is one of Don's lineage. Scans of his certificates would be very helpful to that end.

He has said that his instructor was Donde Vlarble. Is this what he has told you?

Do you know if he has taught at any school before Villari's?

Thanks again!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast