Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2010 6:03pm

Style: Hapkido/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im going to have a swing at what mistakes judo is making. The major one I see is the increase of restrictions despite the relativly low injury rate for a contact sport, this is mostly due to it becoming the olympics bitch in recent years, much like TKD has already. People view judo differently than other contact sports like boxing or even BJJ that is why these restrictions in my view are being allowed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2010 6:06pm

Style: elbow smash

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fug View Post
    The full contact aspect of Judo is seen to have contributed to the lack of "The Deadly" bullshit. This is the style's great contribution.

Another topic could be what we can learn from Judo's mistakes. Care to turtle up? Or is it down?
    Hmmm, I think Judo does what it was designed to do. That being throwing people. It's harsh on the body, and may not be the best choice for self defense, but it's also a lot of fun. You just have to have the right expectations.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2010 6:46pm

Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hornyhobo View Post
    Hmmm, I think Judo does what it was designed to do. That being throwing people. It's harsh on the body, and may not be the best choice for self defense, but it's also a lot of fun. You just have to have the right expectations.
    I'd say it's one of the best MAs for self-defence. You get to practice everything you learn in randori (aside from leglocks etc), it covers ground-fighting and gives you a strong level of control over how much you hurt the other guy. Combined with something like boxing I'd say you're set.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2010 6:49pm

Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To contribute to the discussion though, i think the reason other MAs have failed to emulate the Kodokan is because their single founders are dead or the MA was developed by several people. I mean, Oyama could have made a Kodokan style organisation, but he didn't, hence the stupid politics to follow. Likewise with Helio Gracie.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    8/22/2010 6:51pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hornyhobo View Post

Read more post less.

Karate, Aikido and other Japanese based MA have tried to emulate Judo and its structure but, just like Judo in America, have internal conflicts and people go away and start their own groups, schools, NGB, and rank mills.

Kodokan 1882
    Shotokan 1939
    Aikido 1920-30 ish

Judo as a MA has not failed in delivering its core principles, the IJF has failed judoka in keeping up with the times. BJJ at its core has done a better job of preserving the fighting side of Judo than Judo. The willingness to compete outside of Judo is not part of many dojos as is the willingness to expand the knowledge in newaza with adopting some BJJ techniques, principles or strategies.

Some do many do not, this is not one of those but my school does this and my school does that things its about the sport of Judo as I see it.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2010 6:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Read more post less.

Karate, Aikido and other Japanese based MA have tried to emulate Judo and its structure but, just like Judo in America, have internal conflicts and people go away and start their own groups, schools, NGB, and rank mills.

Kodokan 1882
    Shotokan 1939
    Aikido 1920-30 ish

Judo as a MA has not failed in delivering its core principles, the IJF has failed judoka in keeping up with the times. BJJ at its core has done a better job of preserving the fighting side of Judo than Judo. The willingness to compete outside of Judo is not part of many dojos as is the willingness to expand the knowledge in newaza with adopting some BJJ techniques, principles or strategies.

Some do many do not, this is not one of those but my school does this and my school does that things its about the sport of Judo as I see it.
    I think you should take your own advice about posting less, or at least reading what you're responding to.

I never said Judo had "failed" at anything.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    8/22/2010 7:08pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not the best choice for self defense and designed for throwing people are statements that lead me to believe your education level on Judo is low, again read more post less.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2010 7:15pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fug View Post
    Idiocy.
    elaborate please.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2010 7:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Not the best choice for self defense and designed for throwing people are statements that lead me to believe your education level on Judo is low, again read more post less.
    Right....even though nothing in your response had anything to do with my original comment. Now you're claiming to have said something else altogether. That just might be a strawman.

If you want to explain yourself, or correct me, you are more than welcome to do so. I don't think Judo is the best for self defense. If you're so much more educated than me in that regard then by all means enlighten me.

I'll admit, "designed" was the wrong word to use. However, Judo today is for throwing people who don't want to be thrown, regardless of what it was used for originally.

Gold Summit Martial Arts Institute

Posted On:
    8/22/2010 7:28pm

Style: Ba Zheng Dao Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please, hobo. Don't cause trouble with Coach Josh. He's a valuable resource in this discussion.

Coach Josh, where did the IJF go wrong?

Authentic Kung Fu in Buffalo, NY

http://www.buffalokungfu.com

http://www.laoshierinmarkle.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast