230742 Bullies, 3678 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 51 to 60 of 67
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. mrtnira is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    131

    Posted On:
    8/23/2010 8:04pm


     Style: Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    You just related martial arts to religion.

    You are now on my **** List.
    Well, maybe you made that connection in your own mind, but I tried to write my comment relevant to people and the patterns of people. People follow patterns.

    Please try not to read too much into it. Maybe I need more forum writing practice for clarity and logic. It seems to be an art.
  2. battlefields is offline
    battlefields's Avatar

    Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Australia, Land of Oz
    Posts
    5,230

    Posted On:
    8/23/2010 8:23pm

    forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Reminds me of one of my proudest moments in smart- arsery. It was in high school and I was mucking up, being a rebel, the cool kid in class. That's how I remember it so that is how it was and I will hear no different.

    Anyway, the teacher noticed and said loudly to the class, "there is always one clown in the class!"
    I replied, "yeah, but he isn't normally the one teaching."

    I ripped it off someone else, but it worked and it would work for the fool Kevin Hathorne.
  3. Larus marinus is offline
    Larus marinus's Avatar

    Banzai Buddy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    3,066

    Posted On:
    8/23/2010 8:35pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtnira View Post
    Lebell, in refercence to your comment, I had to have the volume turned off.

    But, even if they were extolling the virtues of their program, lots of supposed "martial arts" after school programs offer defense training, discipline, drug proofing, and other things as a by-product of participating. It doesn't mean it is true.

    And by the higher standards many people who particpate in this forum attain, are after school programs really martial arts, or, are these self-defense programs really just theme clubs? I'd suggest that these kinds of activities are themed exercise programs and not traditional military skills (martial arts) or combatives programs at all.

    Instead of reacting at them, maybe holding them as a separate category might help. Once I came to that way of thinking, it got easier.

    Also, if someone is seriously interested in the martial arts and they come to some odd group that is not on target, usually they end up moving on to a better school. So, in a sense, programs like this one bleed off the ineffective and non-serious. They end up staying in clubs like this because it suits them.

    I had a very smart and good pastor who understood people. His qoute was, "Cults bleed off the whackos." In that, divergent groups draw off the people who would create trouble for the church. By parallel, could you imagine people like this in your dojo? So themed excercise clubs like this might be serving a useful purpose in the larger scheme of things.
    But do people who are seriously interested in the martial arts but have the misfortune to end up in 'exercise clubs' (say if it was the first place they went to and didn't know any better) always move on to better schools?

    Or do some of them believe everything that their sensei/sifu/soke/etc. stands at the front and says - because he's wearing a black belt and a cool-looking uniform, seems honest, honourable and wise about the realities of urban combat and speaks with an authoritative tone - and end up walking the str33tz with a false sense of security, thinking that they can handle themselves in any situation? Heck, there's probably loads of people out there who believe that you need to have a license from the govt. to teach MAs, that black belts are as strictly regulated as accredited academic qualifications and that it's a crime to teach stuff that you're not qualified to teach/stuff that doesn't work - so that this guy must be a legit 'teacher of fighting' by virtue of him being in business.

    I mean, there are plenty of 'wrong' things that get taught, which don't sound particularly 'wrong' until someone else explains why they're 'wrong' (or you see a video of it not working, or end up lying on the floor yourself, spitting teeth after trying it in a fight). I mean, if someone has never been in, or seen a serious fight (or done some background reading), why would believing that it's possible to (for instance) launch unblockable chain-hit combos that are guaranteed to put your opponent down, no matter who it is seem unreasonable? Especially when they're told by sensei that it's high-level knowledge that your average street thug will never have heard of and will never see coming.

    Not everyone watches MMA or boxing - or if they do, equates it to 'stuff what happens in real fights'.
  4. speedycerviche is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    132

    Posted On:
    8/23/2010 10:41pm


     Style: BJJ, Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtnira View Post
    Lebell, in refercence to your comment, I had to have the volume turned off.

    But, even if they were extolling the virtues of their program, lots of supposed "martial arts" after school programs offer defense training, discipline, drug proofing, and other things as a by-product of participating. It doesn't mean it is true.

    And by the higher standards many people who particpate in this forum attain, are after school programs really martial arts, or, are these self-defense programs really just theme clubs? I'd suggest that these kinds of activities are themed exercise programs and not traditional military skills (martial arts) or combatives programs at all.

    Instead of reacting at them, maybe holding them as a separate category might help. Once I came to that way of thinking, it got easier.

    Also, if someone is seriously interested in the martial arts and they come to some odd group that is not on target, usually they end up moving on to a better school. So, in a sense, programs like this one bleed off the ineffective and non-serious. They end up staying in clubs like this because it suits them.

    I had a very smart and good pastor who understood people. His qoute was, "Cults bleed off the whackos." In that, divergent groups draw off the people who would create trouble for the church. By parallel, could you imagine people like this in your dojo? So themed excercise clubs like this might be serving a useful purpose in the larger scheme of things.
    This is NOT an after school program about half the students are adults. I took up Kyu Shin Ryu Ninjutsu because it was the nearest martial arts dojo and guess what that is what a lot of people do. Most people have no idea there is so much BS in the martial arts and trust what someone with a black belt says which I did. I wanted to learn to fight they often told stories of dojo storming and fights in Japan and how awesome our style was. Add that to stuff like one hit one kill and it does not matter how many people you are fighting once you get good enough because only 8 people can touch you at once and you can just knock them out in one hit. There is also the being part of something bigger then yourself and dellusion of granduer that comes with it we thought we were part of some ancient secret society that spanned the world and had influence. I was seriously intrested in martial arts but I still stuck with it for so long and I am sure many others do the same so to say oh the serious students will just find other club is wrong.
  5. meat monkey is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Deep inside the intestine of a sperm whale
    Posts
    180

    Posted On:
    8/23/2010 11:51pm


     Style: Judo, ITF, MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am sick of seeing this guys advertisements all over the place.

    Especially on noticeboards in McDonalds restaurants.

    What is it with that anyway?
  6. W. Rabbit is offline
    W. Rabbit's Avatar

    heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Work
    Posts
    8,475

    Posted On:
    8/24/2010 12:14am

    supporting member
     Style: 

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meat monkey View Post
    I am sick of seeing this guys advertisements all over the place.

    Especially on noticeboards in McDonalds restaurants.

    What is it with that anyway?
    Because they both seek to serve billions.

  7. speedycerviche is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    132

    Posted On:
    8/24/2010 2:33am


     Style: BJJ, Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meat monkey View Post
    I am sick of seeing this guys advertisements all over the place.

    Especially on noticeboards in McDonalds restaurants.

    What is it with that anyway?
    Because they want fries with their black belts? lol. We also met at McDonalds for camps and other events get some fries with your belt lol. Some instructors door knock and pamphlet drop as well and do other stuff like hold demos at schools I always see the flyers at the local IGA's which always gives me a chuckle... they are IGA ninjas lol.
  8. Dsimon3387 is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    san francisco
    Posts
    3,079

    Posted On:
    8/24/2010 5:22am

    Join us... or die
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by speedycerviche View Post
    Because they want fries with their black belts? lol. We also met at McDonalds for camps and other events get some fries with your belt lol. Some instructors door knock and pamphlet drop as well and do other stuff like hold demos at schools I always see the flyers at the local IGA's which always gives me a chuckle... they are IGA ninjas lol.
    hahaha such unintentional revealings!
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

    The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.
  9. SnickersUK is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    41

    Posted On:
    8/24/2010 8:16am


     Style: Kickboxing, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I seriously thought an animal was dying before they showed where the noise was coming from in the beggining.
  10. MorningLemon is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MinneSNOWta/Melbourne
    Posts
    121

    Posted On:
    8/24/2010 8:55am


     Style: JUDO

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Or do some of them believe everything that their sensei/sifu/soke/etc. stands at the front and says - because he's wearing a black belt and a cool-looking uniform, seems honest, honourable and wise about the realities of urban combat and speaks with an authoritative tone - and end up walking the str33tz with a false sense of security, thinking that they can handle themselves in any situation? Heck, there's probably loads of people out there who believe that you need to have a license from the govt. to teach MAs, that black belts are as strictly regulated as accredited academic qualifications and that it's a crime to teach stuff that you're not qualified to teach/stuff that doesn't work - so that this guy must be a legit 'teacher of fighting' by virtue of him being in business.

    I mean, there are plenty of 'wrong' things that get taught, which don't sound particularly 'wrong' until someone else explains why they're 'wrong' (or you see a video of it not working, or end up lying on the floor yourself, spitting teeth after trying it in a fight). .
    True Dat.

    I used to spar on weekends with a TKD group, I was living in my car at the time and would have gone anywhere that would let me spar, and this TKD guy let spar at the gym for free with the "black Belts". Turns out BB means a Tiny hispanic guy, some giant white guy, and a handful of soccer mom's on most days.

    Now, being a gentleman I hate to have to knock a bitch out, so I would lightly tap them on the nose with my fist as they would lift one leg up and try some crazy ass spinning jump kick and try to kick the air 6 inches in front of me. They didn't understand the concept of getting punched in the head so they kept running at me after the nose tap, and the big guys just turned their backs to me as I Thai kicked them in the back because 'those kicks don't count'.

    So yes there are people (adults even) that "end up walking the str33tz with a false sense of security, thinking that they can handle themselves in any situation"

    It's going to get some soccer-mom somewhere killed.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.