Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 7:55am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Oooh. Whistleblowing...

What art is this guy's system actually based on, anyway?
    I know the secret instructors hand shake I can infiltrate them lol. btw I am not joking there is a secret hand shake.

The system seems to based on a form of Shuri/Tomari Te Karate judging from the techniques and naming and also he was said to have trained in Shotokan. Stances are the same and given same names as Shotokan and only strikes and blocks are given Japanese names whereas throws and locks usally are not. In WA we are also taught Small Circle Jujutsu (only style that is named that I am aware off) plus a bunch of other random stuff from other arts which he may or may not have experience in and stuff he probally just made up.

If you have not already check out their Facebook page for more videos and pictures including their take on grappling.
    Last edited by speedycerviche; 8/23/2010 8:10am at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 8:52am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtnira View Post
    At the risk of being sent to Sheer Dog, again, maybe this is a "beauty in the eye of the beholder" situation. Maybe the people involved are getting something from it, even if it is not up to serious standards.

I made the comment like in relation to Mountainous and Ralph Severe, and got sent to Sheer Dog Siberia.

But seriously.... Maybe for some people it is enough to get together and enjoy the physical activity, even if the outcome is not high-end capability. If they need some live action role play to help get them out of the house and get some exercise, good for them. They are actually getting some physical exercise and social interaction..... Put down that video game and get off the couch! (Public Service Announcement.)

If it is held in that context, then is it so bad?
    Sure but why the hell can't they just jog or play bocce? Stop shitting on MA.

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 9:02am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    They also wouldn't look any more silly in their ninja uniforms either

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 9:32am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Or join a LARP group at the local anime/historical club if they really want to dress up and act like fictional/historical characters.

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 5:01pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387 View Post
    who's turn is it to be Booj defender? I did my time JJ helped me out a bit. whose turn is it?
    Dsimon;

I'll be happy to defend certain defensible aspects of the Booj when it's worth doing, but doing so over a small insult in a thread about an obviously bad, LARPy neo-ninjutsu school seems like a poor strategic choice.

I didn't realize Booj Apologist was a rotating role on Bullshido. Would I get a Tag? (Er, would I want it?) You're just teasing me, right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 7:02pm

Style: Taijutsu, Hsing I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    Dsimon;

I'll be happy to defend certain defensible aspects of the Booj when it's worth doing, but doing so over a small insult in a thread about an obviously bad, LARPy neo-ninjutsu school seems like a poor strategic choice.

I didn't realize Booj Apologist was a rotating role on Bullshido. Would I get a Tag? (Er, would I want it?) You're just teasing me, right?
    I'd step up to the plate if this was even decent karate. It's not. I'm seeing waaaaaay too much space between participants doing techniques.
    And why bother disguising yourself when you are screaming like an idiot?

They should be wearing Clown make-up and krumping.

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 7:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Styygens View Post
    Dsimon;

Just like the phantom!! every generation (in the case of the phantom) one comes along to defend the tradition... we need a rotating defender some one who wears the tag for a year or so at a time.

No the defense has to be unconditional. If a person is too persistant they must be shima waza'd with a pair of Hatsumii's priestly hakuma ties.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 7:20pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vaquero de las nalgas View Post
    I'd step up to the plate if this was even decent karate. It's not. I'm seeing waaaaaay too much space between participants doing techniques.
    And why bother disguising yourself when you are screaming like an idiot?

They should be wearing Clown make-up and krumping.
    er where are you in Arizona? I have a bunch of clowns here who are very angry and want a piece of you.... hang ona sec...

"easy guys! no no no he didn't really mean to compare you to that video... put down the big rubber shoe bozo!!"
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 7:26pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lebell, in refercence to your comment, I had to have the volume turned off.

But, even if they were extolling the virtues of their program, lots of supposed "martial arts" after school programs offer defense training, discipline, drug proofing, and other things as a by-product of participating. It doesn't mean it is true.

And by the higher standards many people who particpate in this forum attain, are after school programs really martial arts, or, are these self-defense programs really just theme clubs? I'd suggest that these kinds of activities are themed exercise programs and not traditional military skills (martial arts) or combatives programs at all.

Instead of reacting at them, maybe holding them as a separate category might help. Once I came to that way of thinking, it got easier.

Also, if someone is seriously interested in the martial arts and they come to some odd group that is not on target, usually they end up moving on to a better school. So, in a sense, programs like this one bleed off the ineffective and non-serious. They end up staying in clubs like this because it suits them.

I had a very smart and good pastor who understood people. His qoute was, "Cults bleed off the whackos." In that, divergent groups draw off the people who would create trouble for the church. By parallel, could you imagine people like this in your dojo? So themed excercise clubs like this might be serving a useful purpose in the larger scheme of things.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 7:38pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You just related martial arts to religion.

You are now on my **** List.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast