Flyweight

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 11:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp View Post
    To keep it short and sweet for bullshido, I'll just say that lasik was not an option due to boxing (none of the doctors would do it and I can't get a straight answer if I can get sanctioned with lasik) and I simply do not have enough time off to get PRK done. I need to be at my computer, working 8+ hours a day reading and writing code no later than 3 weeks after the surgery. That just doesn't seem realistic from what I've been told.
    3 weeks? I had the PRK surgery on a Thursday and was back at work that following Monday. My vision was not perfect, perhaps 20/30-20/40 with a slight bit of farsightedness for a couple months, but it was good enough to drive and not enough to affect my work. (I was a web developer at the time)

I went from something worse than 20/800 to 20/15 (better than 20/20) within a year. It was totally worth it.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 11:59pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp View Post
    I just wanted to post an update. After MUCH research, I decided NOT to do any laser eye surgeries. I talked to and read many write ups from happy customers and their experiences (where they were telling people they loved the surgery) actually convinced me that I would not be happy.
    How so?

To keep it short and sweet for bullshido, I'll just say that lasik was not an option due to boxing (none of the doctors would do it and I can't get a straight answer if I can get sanctioned with lasik) and I simply do not have enough time off to get PRK done.
    For the curious among us: Would PRK have been an option if not for the fact that you can’t get time off?

I'm sure nobody really cares, but I started this thread and I felt I should end it. I'm thinking maybe I'll give contacts another shot.
    I think it’s great to have all the information—including the conclusion—laid out for whomever searches the site for this stuff next.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 7:28am

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    How so?

For the curious among us: Would PRK have been an option if not for the fact that you can’t get time off?

I think it’s great to have all the information—including the conclusion—laid out for whomever searches the site for this stuff next.
    What I saw was that for most people, the problems they experience don't go away, they just tolerate them better over time. Most say things like "I'm so glad I got this done, sure I see halo's now and then and I need eye drops every day, but at least I'm not wearing glasses!". It seemed like for them success was 2 years later finally not wearing sunglasses to go outside in the daytime or only using eye drops 2 times a day. For me it was not about getting rid of glasses, it was about being able to swim/run/box/etc without being fairly blind. I decided that my current vision is good enough to box, and I don't want to wait 6 months with PRK to have stable vision. Compounded by that was that many success stories reported that with PRK it took 3-5 weeks and sometimes as long as 3 months to be able to handle using a computer for a few hours. I am a computer programmer, I have 3 weeks vacation and if I was not able to use a computer for 8 hours+ a day after that time I'd be unemployed. The doctor I spoke with said the vision could fluctuate over 6 months. He didn't explain what that really was. The people I talked to said that what he was saying was that it could go from perfectly crisp, to low res (not out of focus like nearsighted, but out of focus like a 8 bit video game, where getting closer does nothing). Lastly, I found I have rather large pupils, and that many doctors believe that large pupils equates to a higher chance of star bursting and halos never going away. This is because the laser can not treat the entire area of the eye I use to see. I have however read studies that did not find a link between pupil size and these side effects.

To be fair I don't think the surgery is the wrong thing to do for many people. If I was not heavily into contact sports I would probably get lasik. After reading about the real healing process involved with PRK (by happy customers who highly recommend the surgery) I realized that I don't feel I would be happy. I don't want to wait months to years to have 'crisp' vision, and honestly I don't think I could handle halo's, light sensitivity, or starbursts if they didn't go away. I also don't think they do go away, I just think people learn to tolerate them. I noticed a lot of the people say they don't notice those effects, not that the effects have gone away.

I guess it just came down to that I don't want to pay $3800.00 for something that just might work. Glasses give me 20/15 vision right now. The doctor said I could get as good as 20/15, probably would get 20/20, but that they consider it a success if the patient gets 20/40. I think that if the operation wasn't 100% successful, I would hate myself and wouldn't be able to cope. It is risk vs reward. I just don't feel the reward is worth the risk. Unlike many people who seek this surgery, it's not because I dislike glasses, or because I want cosmetic effects. It was simply because I thought it would improve my ability in sports. But when I weight being able to go on a long run without glasses or see better in boxing with the potential of problem vision forever, or losing my job I just can't talk myself into it.

I'm sure I'm over thinking it, but I rather error on the side of caution. I don't lose anything from making the wrong decision by not having the surgery. If having the surgery was the wrong decision I'm screwed for the rest of my life.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Welterweight

Posted On:
    9/02/2010 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: age&treachery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    Yes, exactly. Follow-ups are always good, whether the outcome was positive, negative or indifferent.

Thanks for sharing your research and reasoning.

EDIT: Thanks for the pushups too.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12