Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 1:25pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lasik, PRK, and epi-lasik

I'm sick of getting punched in the face and not seeing it coming!

I'm considering getting eye surgery to fix my poor vision (I'm near sighted and have a slight astigmatism). I just wanted to get feedback from anyone who might have gotten a procedure done in the past and competes in a rough sport (boxing, mma, grappling, etc). I train in bjj, boxing, and judo and I'm mostly doing this to help improve that area of my life.

After looking at my options, I'm leaning to PRK. The guy who does it near me used to work for the army preforming prk and he specializes in prk at this location. When I search the internet all I seem to find is information about lasik and the horrors of it, but very little about prk. So anyone out there with prk who might want to give feedback?
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 2:21pm

Style: Arnis Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep in mind that eye surgery may interfere with getting sanctioned fights.

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 2:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had heard they might have issues with lasik, but prk is ok because there is no flap cut and there is no more danger to an eye treated with prk then there is to a normal eye. I'll have to call my state bodies to confirm. Thank's for the heads up.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 2:57pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The three things I hear about laser eye surgery—and I don’t know the frequency—are:

1. With LASIK (as you clearly know), there’s a small risk of the flap getting detached by trauma; with LASEK/PRK, there’s no flap and thus no such risk.
    2. With any kind of laser eye surgery, nerves in the eye may be severed which means that your eye doesn’t “know” when to moisturise: Dry, itchy eyes seem to be a relatively common side effect (I don’t know how common); my girlfriend had LASIK and does not regret it, but she does have to use eye drops pretty much every day.
    3. PRK is more painful, and recovering from PRK takes much longer than LASIK.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 6:11pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had Lasik done back in 2001 ( corneal flap cut and laid back as laser did the work)
    I was 20/150 and 20/300. Both eyes corrected for far sightedness. I am now 20/20 but have to use glasses to read ( 175 medium strength,over the counter).
    Some of the horror stories come from unscrupulous practioners using non FDA appproved lasers. They charge lesss and try get the patient to sign a release just prior to the procedure.

You have to be evaluated as a good candidate for the procedure. Your Optometrist can usually do that. One caveat was when the laser came in to do the work you must be able to hold your eye absolutely still by focusing on a sighting point. If you move the laser will not be able to work correctly. I was mildly sedated and all went well.

The postprocedure care was taken care of by my optometrist and he was absolutely obssevive about it. It was overkill but then its your eyes. You have to resist rubbing your eyes in the days following the procedure. You need a DR with thousands of procedure under his belt. My eyes were done in the SF bay area by the Turner eye center and in 2001 ran about 3K for both eyes. Overall I am very pleased

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 8:08pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you don't mind a longer recovery, go with PRK. I haven't had it done yet, but a lot of my coworkers have, and they're all really happy with their results. If you want to continue on with contact sports, it's your best bet. Keep in mind that your face is probably going to hurt like a ************ for about a week after you get it (my roommate was pretty much incapacitated for 3-4 days afterward), and make sure to be very liberal with your use of steroid drops the doctor prescribes.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Flyweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 9:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 11:40pm

Style: Karate-knockdown, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had LASIK done in 98 and have had no problems with it, when it comes to sparring, fighting, ..... I was informed by my Opthamologist that the risk of the flap detaching after being hit was almost 0% after 3 months(a guy who also does whole eye transplants). I was warned against the PRK due to the high risk of scar tissue buildup where they burn off the outer layer of cells to get to the cornea.

IMO, go with LASIK.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    8/23/2010 12:10am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to my doctor in January wanting PRK and he basically convinced me to do LASIK. I asked him about doing MMA and his opinion was after 3 months anything that would hurt the flap would hurt my eye anyway. I had LASIK and have loved it every since.

But you shouldn't listen to me. You should find a doctor and listen to them.

Posted On:
    9/01/2010 9:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wanted to post an update. After MUCH research, I decided NOT to do any laser eye surgeries. I talked to and read many write ups from happy customers and their experiences (where they were telling people they loved the surgery) actually convinced me that I would not be happy. I guess it's back to boxing blind, but at least I'm not down $3700.00.

To keep it short and sweet for bullshido, I'll just say that lasik was not an option due to boxing (none of the doctors would do it and I can't get a straight answer if I can get sanctioned with lasik) and I simply do not have enough time off to get PRK done. I need to be at my computer, working 8+ hours a day reading and writing code no later than 3 weeks after the surgery. That just doesn't seem realistic from what I've been told.

I'm sure nobody really cares, but I started this thread and I felt I should end it. I'm thinking maybe I'll give contacts another shot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast