Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 8:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gutterfighting/Shorin-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Local Ryu-Te School...

Last night I decided to go and check out a local Ryu-Te school that I had been interested in. I had read Oyata's book "Ryu-Te No Michi" a few years back and he has a great reputation so I won't bring that into discussion. We showed up half an hour before the "Adults" class and watched the kids wrap up their sparring. For kids it was fun to watch, the instructor encouraged take downs and some of them seemed to fight with reckless abandon. Not bad. I figured I would be happy with the adults as well.

As the class was wrapping up I spoke with the head instructor, he asked about my experience in MA and we discussed kata, sparring and grappling (tuite and ju jutsu). He invited me to sit in and observe the class. The "Adult" class was 2 men (30's-40's) both white belts and 4 young teenagers white belts through a green belt. There was one higher rank, not wearing a belt doing a sloppy version of Kusanku in the corner and a Sempai on deck who had to be in her 40's and was overly concerned about her make-up during the warm-ups. He explained to me that Thursday was a sparring night and they'd warm up with squats, kicks, punches and drills then move through Naihachi Ichi/Shodan and then spar. I was far from impressed with their kicking and punching techniques during the warm-ups (Sempai included). I was able to witness a version of Naihachi that I had never seen before, I just couldn't understand the concept behind some of the movements, very slow and soft. Then again this is just me being exposed to a different system, I'm sure the hard crisp movements in my old school would throw them off.

And now... the sparring!!!!!!

Everyone... EVERYONE was wearing chest protectors. CHEST PROTECTORS!?!?!?!!? I have never seen a grown man spar against a 14 year old girl and have to wear a chest protector. I was hoping for atleast only mma/jkd gloves and maybe a bogu mask. No instead I get fucking macho gear and some people wearing full 16 oz boxing gear. One person had on elbow pads... really? Back to the chest protectors... ok maybe I over reacted. I could understand if they were sparring at 75-90% but we're talking nothing but pillow punch for pillow punch. Then one of the men came over to the edge of the deck and said to me "You know sparring isn't as easy as it looks". Like he is imparting some amount of wisdom on me.

The instructor invited me back to try out a few classes but I'm not too sure, I think Oyata's rep got the best of me this time.

Any of you Ryu-Te guys have advice for me? How tight of a leash does Oyata keep on his schools? I mean I know he visits this one.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 8:53am

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only experience I have with Ryu-te is the influence it has in my art and from one of his senior students, Joe Mansfield, in New York. I thoroughly enjoy the striking aspects of that art. I'm not sure what dojo or which instructor you are talking about, so I can't comment. Maybe there's another Ryu-Te dojo in your state?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 10:07am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am located on Long Island and as far as I know there are only 2 Ryu-Te schools in my area. I would rather not reveal the teachers name until I see more. Maybe it was an off night and his good students weren't there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 4:01pm

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, here's the list of official Ryu-Te dojo in NY:

http://www.ryute.com/new_york.htm

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 6:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So did you spar with them?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 8:44pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The school is on that list. I checked it before I went to the school. Lindz I did not get to spar last night. I was only invited to watch and asked to come back next Tues or Thurs. I don't even think the sparring would be necessary to make my judgement at this point.

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 8:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your story had an excellent setup and showed great promise but the lack of resolution left me feeling hollow and unsatisfied. 6/10

Seriously you don't need to spar them but it might be fun.

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 10:42pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ryu Te formely known as Ryukyu Kempo has a lot of hard bogu sparing in it , But what I hear from a reliable source that the LI area dojos do not spar heavily .
    As far as Oyata's reputation make no mistake he is a legendary Martial Artist now up in age who comes from a long line of warriors . As it is Oyata sensei in his youth was a training to be a kamikaze at the age of 16 But I believe he was captured during the battle of Okinawa in 1944 before he could do his one and final mission.

The main dojo I believe is in Kansas City Maryland and Oyata's heir apparent is Jim Logue.

what I hear from My friend who trains with Oyata Sensei and Logue Sensei there are several factions in Ryu Te and some are softening it up and making it more of a kinder and gentler Martial Art and taking itfurther away from the art that Oyata Sensei first bought here.

Interestingly enough although they have a long standing feud there is a dojo in Nassau
    Okinawan Kenpo run by Teruki Higa that I hear is still close to the art that Oyata used to teach
    Move along citizen ,nothing to see here !!!!!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/21/2010 5:30am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to disappoint you, Lindz. I will try harder next time. Fox, What you've heard about the LI Ryu-Te schools is apparently 100% correct. I found out last night that the only other local school does NO Adult sparring. I don't get it. I can understand them wanting to appeal to more people but why strip away one of the systems distinguishing features in Bogu Kumite. And I would never question Oyatas legitimacy. The man is a legend... it's just sad that his system is represented this way on Long Island.

Posted On:
    8/21/2010 10:16am

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun Assassin View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you, Lindz. I will try harder next time. Fox, What you've heard about the LI Ryu-Te schools is apparently 100% correct. I found out last night that the only other local school does NO Adult sparring. I don't get it. I can understand them wanting to appeal to more people but why strip away one of the systems distinguishing features in Bogu Kumite. And I would never question Oyatas legitimacy. The man is a legend... it's just sad that his system is represented this way on Long Island.
    I didnt mean to imply that you were questioning Oyata Sensei , if it came off that way , my apologies.
    What I hear is that the organization is splintering in many factions.
    There is Ryukyu Kempo Dojo in Smithtown , I cant vouch for it because I never watched a class but its my work area so I know its there.
    What I understand is affliated with Al Giraldi who was a top Oyata student who has broken away .
    hope this has been helpful.

Its sad to hear all this because what I knew of Ryukyu Kempo and RyuTe besides the George Dillman death touch stuff which I understand is Oyata's ,the style was known for hard bogu kumite.
    Move along citizen ,nothing to see here !!!!!