223779 Bullies, 3648 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 41 to 46 of 46
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. PointyShinyBurn is online now
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar

    Gnarly King of Half-Guard

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,220

    Posted On:
    8/25/2010 5:14am

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been training BJJ for nearly five years and my hands have never really adapted to the stress of hard grip fighting. If I try to hold on to gi grips under pressure I get constant popped knuckles, broken fingers and after a couple of training sessions my hands will be pretty much useless.

    The only thing that's worked for me is to play game that's minimally reliant on gi grips and pre-emptively letting go and doing something else if it looks like my hand is about to get stripped.
  2. FourT6and2 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    118

    Posted On:
    8/25/2010 7:41pm


     Style: Jujutsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Like said, your hands are not used to the load you are putting on them, hence, my use of the word "overtraining". Your hands are not apparently able to recover between workouts sufficiently for your current training load.

    As to your gripping technique, you might be gripping to hard, the proverbial "death grip" common to beginners in Judo.

    The same thing was part of my problem at the mill. I was using my best strong Judo competition grip, instead of paying attention to the actual technique involved in picking up and moving boards. That grip was OK for a 4-5 minute judo match, but when applied to picking up 9' 2x6 Larch boards etc. for 8 hours, was a source of "overtraining". Once I got over my superman issues and started paying attention to the guys who kept telling me to not grab the boards so hard, I could focus on the correct technique.

    So try to pay attention to how hard you are gripping and see what happens.

    Good luck,

    Ben
    Yeah, this I can agree with. By "overtraining" I thought people were talking about everything, in general. i.e. 4 days a week was too much. Too much for my hands, yes. But because I'm gripping incorrectly. I'm "death gripping" as you say. Today my instructors pointed this out toward the end of class. I'm going to make an effort to focus on proper grip and not gripping so hard that I'm straining my hands.

    But I'm not overtraining in general, at least I don't think so. I think I may have misunderstood what you were implying. i.e. I don't get overtly tired, exhausted, sore, injured and etc. Just my hands. So I don't think it's that I'm training too much, I'm just gripping wrong.

    Does that make sense?

    I'm not out to start an argument. I think I can solve my finger problem by learning how to grip properly RATHER than going to practice less times per week...

    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    FourT6and2

    You decided to ask over an internet forum for help with your Judo finger issues. Now that indicates that you believe that people who have never met you except over the internet can give you assistance with your problem.

    However, when we try to give you assistance with your problem by telling you that overtraining is likely the cause, something you have clearly decided is impossible, you decide that we aren't qualified to give assessments and help you with your problem because we have never met or seen you do randori and only your instructors are qualified to assess and help with your problem.

    The next stage for anyone trying to assess or help someone over the internet is to get as close to assessing that person as possible which is through video. Its far from perfect and usually doesn't convey anywhere near as much necessary information as doing Judo with someone, but then you did come onto the internet to ask your questions so you should accept responses to be limited or shaped by the fact they are given over the internet.

    The three Judo black belts, Josh, BKR and myself, are all in agreement about what is causing your problem without any collusion and being separated by several thousand miles of land and sea. The only common factor which we have between us is good training and experience in Judo, that training and experience in Judo means that when we read about a beginner in Judo- previous MA experience is largely irrelevant- who is training 4-5 times a week and is left with stiff fingers our training and experience of dealing with beginners, being beginners ourselves and knowing the stresses on the body of Judo training is that you're overtraining for your current experience.

    Now, I have explained myself and the situation fully, you can accept our advice or you can ignore it that is your prerogative.
    Again, I don't think I'm "overtraining." i.e. going to practice too often. If that's what you mean by "overtraining"? If by "overtraining" you mean I'm gripping way, way... way too hard, then I totally agree. Because this is what my instructors have pointed out once I relayed all the information you've brought up.

    Are you saying I should go to practice less often? Or learn to grip correctly? Or both? Because I'd rather not cut down on how often I train. Right now, it's Monday, Tuesday, Friday Saturday.

    If I go to practice once a week but still grip way too hard, maybe my fingers will have enough time to recover. But I'd rather learn how to grip correctly so my fingers aren't sore in the morning. That way I can go to practice more often. Does that sound reasonable?
    Last edited by FourT6and2; 8/25/2010 7:45pm at .
  3. BKR is offline
    BKR's Avatar

    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    4,325

    Posted On:
    8/25/2010 7:47pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
    Yeah, this I can agree with. By "overtraining" I thought people were talking about everything, in general. i.e. 4 days a week was too much. Too much for my hands, yes. But because I'm gripping incorrectly. I'm "death gripping" as you say. Today my instructors pointed this out toward the end of class. I'm going to make an effort to focus on proper grip and not gripping so hard that I'm straining my hands.

    But I'm not overtraining in general, at least I don't think so. I think I may have misunderstood what you were implying. i.e. I don't get overtly tired, exhausted, sore, injured and etc. Just my hands. So I don't think it's that I'm training too much, I'm just gripping wrong.

    Does that make sense?

    I'm not out to start an argument. I think I can solve my finger problem by learning how to grip properly RATHER than going to practice less times per week...



    Again, I don't think I'm "overtraining." i.e. going to practice too often. If that's what you mean by "overtraining"? If by "overtraining" you mean I'm gripping way, way... way too hard, then I totally agree. Because this is what my instructors have pointed out once I relayed all the information you've brought up.

    Are you saying I should go to practice less often? Or learn to grip correctly? Or both? Because I'd rather not cut down on how often I train. Right now, it's Monday, Tuesday, Friday Saturday.

    If I go to practice once a week but still grip way too hard, maybe my fingers will have enough time to recover. But I'd rather learn how to grip correctly so my fingers aren't sore in the morning. That way I can go to practice more often. Does that sound reasonable?
    I wish I could go to Judo 4-5 times a week (as a student). I was only referring to your hands, not your training in general, as I clarified.

    Sounds like you have it figured out, good luck!

    Ben
  4. FourT6and2 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    118

    Posted On:
    8/26/2010 5:10am


     Style: Jujutsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I wish I could go to Judo 4-5 times a week (as a student). I was only referring to your hands, not your training in general, as I clarified.

    Sounds like you have it figured out, good luck!

    Ben
    Woke up this morning and my hands felt good, not stiff or sore. Hopefully this is going to be a new trend.

    I'd go every day if I could. But I have 12-15 hour work days and it gets hectic sometimes. Thanks for the insights. :)
  5. Vorpal is offline
    Vorpal's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    A Hell of my own making
    Posts
    3,078

    Posted On:
    8/26/2010 10:55am

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
    Woke up this morning and my hands felt good, not stiff or sore. Hopefully this is going to be a new trend.

    I'd go every day if I could. But I have 12-15 hour work days and it gets hectic sometimes. Thanks for the insights. :)
    That's good news.
  6. Gustard is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Moving
    Posts
    196

    Posted On:
    8/27/2010 3:18pm


     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should grip mostly wioth the bottom three fingers and leave the thumb and top finger a bit looser. There is a sport that increases your finger strength and grips even more than Judo - climbing. Some top level Judoka used to train climbing to get stronger grips.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.