Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 12:14pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would be interested in seeing this grip as well.

Josh, that's why I said I wasn't sure if grip strength would be the right solution, depending on the problem.

4-5x a week when first starting will almost certainly result in being rather sore for a few weeks.

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 12:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Can somebody link up a video of how to do the grip?
    first time I have heard of it and I want to make sure I dont adopt a munted version of it
    There's not really that much complexity to it. A tightly clenched fist means that you have much reduced flexibility and smoothness in the movement of your wrist. For some biomechanical reason, unknown to me, if you only grip tightly with your pinky, ring finger and middle finger, but loosely with your index finger and thumb you have way more flexibility in your wrist and therefore have much greater gi control.

This will also make tsurikomi much easier, most people struggle with tsurikomi - coordination issues aside- because they don't have the correct wrist flexibility due to a fist grip to do the correct tsurite action.

What can be dangerous is sticking your index finger and thumb up in the air like in this picture:

As you can risk getting your fingers caught up in the gi and broken.

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 1:39pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grip strengthening exercises are mostly a bad idea off the bat, as others have said. One that might help is where you extend and spread your fingers wide -- the opposite of gripping. This tends to stretch the gripping (flexor) muscles and strengthen the opposing muscles a bit.

There's a physiological reason for the three finger grip -- your middle, ring and pinkie finger tendons have a common insertion.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 1:46pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
    Been training about 4-5 nights a week for the past two months. My fingers are really stiff in the mornings now. It's hard to make a fist. After 5-10 minutes of stretching the stiffness goes away. No problems during the day. Only in the morning after (obviously) not using my hands for an extended period of time.

I'm a musician and been playing the guitar and drums for 15 years and I've never had any issue with arthritis or Carpel Tunnel.

I've also been training Aikido, Jujutsu and some other arts for at least 8-10 years and never had this type of problem, either.

Has anyone else gone through this?
    It's possible you could have early signs of osteoarthritis. You've led a very active life, and it sounds like all the martial arts, drumming, etc has worn away some of the cartilage in your joints. As you get older, you can get incredibly stiff from long periods of inactivity (ie sleep) that you can loosen up by using antinflammatory medication (ibuprofen) and period of healing. Cartilage can heal over time if given a rest, it sounds like maybe cutting a night or two of Judo a week might help you heal faster.

http://www.medicinenet.com/osteoarth...#Whatsymptomso

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 3:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might be death-gripping people if you're brand new, but either way Judo is rough on your fingers. When I can't close my hand into a fist usually it's because the first joint of one or more fingers is swollen due to getting twisted up in the gi & yanked during grip-fighting. Tapping the first joint of any fingers hurt like that helps a lot; mine just weren't healing otherwise and were constantly sore.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 3:57pm

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a fairly strong grip as it is. I don't think I need grip-strength training or anything like that. The method of gripping you've all described is pretty much the same as with the sword or even a hockey stick. So, I should have thought of that on my own by now! :) I'll focus on gripping better and with less intensity/strength.

I don't want to cut back on training. I train (usually) 4 or 5 nights a week and I've been going strong for a couple months. I work a lot and Judo is the only thing active I have time to do right now. As I said before, though, I've been training in other arts for a number of years as well. I started out with Aikido, but I haven't formally trained Aikido for about 6 years, maybe. Mostly jujutsu. And of course I've had plenty of bumps, bruises and other injuries. But nothing chronic like stiff fingers in the morning. So that got me a bit worried.

I don't think it's osteoarthritis, either, as I have NONE of the symptoms listed. Symptoms of osteoarthritis:

Joint pain. I have no "pain."
    Pain is worse later in the day. My finger stiffness is always in the morning.
    Swelling. I have no swelling.
    Warmth. No warmth or unusual heat.
    Creaking of the joints. I have no creaking, popping or anything else.

At least, I hope it's not something like arthritis.

Besides my fingers, I do get miscellaneous muscle soreness and all that. But that's normal. The first couple of weeks of Judo I was really sore. But that has mostly gone away. My cardio is much better and I'm getting used to this level of constant training. So, while I'm a beginner in Judo I'm past that initial period of shock where you feel like you've been hit with a meat tenderizer. At least for now.

Everyone I train with says there's always some new ache or pain somewhere. So I figure **** like this is normal. But if it persists I might have to see a doctor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 6:09pm

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just got back from tonight's practice. I asked Sensei about it and all he did was show me his hands and chuckled. He said it's normal and that I'll either get used to it or I could try to change my diet to incorporate more natural anti-inflamatories found in various fruits and such.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 6:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    make sure you do finger EXTENSION exercises too, it will help your grip to relax after training as you're probably getting plenty of grip work from Judo class.
    Try using POWER PUTTY, loop it over the finger and extend it away from the palm. Or something like this:

http://www.matrat.us/matrat-store/ec.../GripFlex.html
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    8/21/2010 9:39am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, if you are actually getting your hands injured or bruised, don't forget to ice, my friend. Will help to keep down swelling and speed healing.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast