Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 8:07am

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stiff Fingers From Judo?

Been training about 4-5 nights a week for the past two months. My fingers are really stiff in the mornings now. It's hard to make a fist. After 5-10 minutes of stretching the stiffness goes away. No problems during the day. Only in the morning after (obviously) not using my hands for an extended period of time.

I'm a musician and been playing the guitar and drums for 15 years and I've never had any issue with arthritis or Carpel Tunnel.

I've also been training Aikido, Jujutsu and some other arts for at least 8-10 years and never had this type of problem, either.

However, it seems that Judo does have a great deal more emphasis on grip, especially wrestling around with the gi. So maybe this is the cause? Incorrect grip? Not used to it?

Has anyone else gone through this?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 8:29am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hahahaha, I have gone up 2 ring sizes since I started training. If you tape your fingers in between each knuckle it takes some of the stress off your fingers. It is possible that you are over gripping, but most likely you are just getting used to training that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 8:57am

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapruder View Post
    hahahaha, I have gone up 2 ring sizes since I started training. If you tape your fingers in between each knuckle it takes some of the stress off your fingers. It is possible that you are over gripping, but most likely you are just getting used to training that much.
    How does tape between the knuckles help? I'll try it, but I'm just curious if you know the how's/why's.

I'm not too concerned with the stiff fingers, but I woke up this morning and I was like... damn! this is getting weird.

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 9:41am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you modify your grip so that the index finger is loose and most of your grip is done with the remaining three fingers pressing into the palm you will have a much stronger grip with less effort.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 10:06am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you could try doing grip strength exercises..I'm sure you can google some. Not sure if this would help or just make it worse b/c you would be getting less recovery time. The big difference between aikido and judo griping is in Judo you are tugging and pulling in quick bursts to off balance your training partner...this is probably something your just not used to compared to the more static grabbing in aikido.

Maybe its somewhat unrelated and you are clenching your fists at night. Every once in a while I'll wake up with clenched fists and my fingers will feel fatigued and a bit stiff for 10 minutes or so.

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 11:47am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get it from BJJ. The ring size comment made me chuckle, because my experience is the same.

I have good grip strength, and have trained it through weight lifting for decades. I think it is part lack of better technique, combined with, being 44 now.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 11:58am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    you could try doing grip strength exercises..I'm sure you can google some.
    Bad advice. As with any new activity your body needs to adjust to the change BEFORE you try to reach new levels. Once you are able to withstand the rigors of training at that level then you should move onto increasing strength levels. Rest is the most over looked part of training everyone forgets about it.

After practice you should spend time stretching out your hands so when they heal they will heal in a stretched state not in a cramped state. After about 6 months it will get better. So HTFU.

Learning to grip just comes with time as Vorpal said you need to learn to grip with your three bottom fingers and then tighten your thumb and forefinger when needed.

Personally my knuckles have been dislocated so many times that I can't wear a ring anymore. My last wedding band I had to cut off with a dremel tool.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 11:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    If you modify your grip so that the index finger is loose and most of your grip is done with the remaining three fingers pressing into the palm you will have a much stronger grip with less effort.
    This /\ first and foremost!

This should be taught on day one at the same moment you're shown how to grip the Judogi properly.

Now you didn't say how long you've been training Judo for, however, if you've only started training Judo recently and thrown yourself into 4-5 sessions a week especially in a randori where the gripping is competitive. Then you're going to be struggling with a big shock to the system as regards your fingers.

Tape your fingers as instructed in this thread, but don't start grip training drills unless you're going to cut down on the Judo, because at the moment it seems that your fingers are already struggling to cope with the strain on them so adding even more strain through grip strength drills is going to be damaging.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 12:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Become a Machinist... lots of hand strength exercises!:toothy9::toothy9:

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 12:09pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can somebody link up a video of how to do the grip?
    first time I have heard of it and I want to make sure I dont adopt a munted version of it
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast