POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 7:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignorami View Post
    If I do turn with it, it would be very similar to the uke nagashi movement we use at our aikido* class. I can pull that off against a spaz-puncher at longer range, but I don't see how I can deflect and turn quickly enough to be effective at this closer starting distance, or against someone good at punching.
    exactly.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 7:28am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by syclix View Post
    I'm guessing that who ever is punching will have to extend their arm to reach you? Couldn't you just step towards them pushing their arm upwards with you bong sau? Or you could try putting more energy in to pushing your bong sau forwards with you hip.
    You want him to step towards a punch?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 8:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha yeah, I admit stepping into it is a bad idea. I agree with the turning and the use of a tan sau providing their elbow is above yours.

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 8:12am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys. I'll ask about being shown some tan sau now I have something constructive to ask the instructor. Also, I'll have a try at moving forwards as i bong sau and see if that stops it obstructing my vision when forcing the puncher's arm up.

Sadly I won't be at class for a week coz of holidays, but maybe I can practice on the wife.

The approaches of moving out of the way and also using the second hand to block seem the obvious route, but it seems they'd work just as well without bong-sauing at all.

@Asriel & Kovacs: cheers for discussing the chun, (now go wash your hands).
    Out of interest (and possibly too OT), it seems you've moved on from WC in favour of other things. What do you use now to do bong sau's job at that range?

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 8:15am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    N.B. I'm assuming that the moving forward is toward the puncher, not toward the punch. Turning/Weaving still apply at the same time.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 9:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignorami View Post
    Thanks guys. I'll ask about being shown some tan sau now I have something constructive to ask the instructor. Also, I'll have a try at moving forwards as i bong sau and see if that stops it obstructing my vision when forcing the puncher's arm up.

Sadly I won't be at class for a week coz of holidays, but maybe I can practice on the wife.

The approaches of moving out of the way and also using the second hand to block seem the obvious route, but it seems they'd work just as well without bong-sauing at all.

@Asriel & Kovacs: cheers for discussing the chun, (now go wash your hands).
    Out of interest (and possibly too OT), it seems you've moved on from WC in favour of other things. What do you use now to do bong sau's job at that range?
    I don't 'block' punches. It seems almost impossible to get to it before you're hit. Instead I try and move out of the way and cover or absorb it on my guard
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 10:02am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can already tell either your instruction sucks to such a huge extent or you are such an idiot that there's no point in telling you to BiuSao, not BongSao.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 10:29am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not sure if the bong sau you are talking about is the same as the hung ga version, but as i taught it, bong sau is only really useful from a hands down starting position, and is best used as a quick cover-up against a surprise attack.

never used it in a fight, but one time when i was hit by a car, i did use it, and covered my head with my elbow, so when i went through the windshield, my elbow took the impact rather than my head. pretty sure bong sau saved my life that day.

i really wish there was CCTV footage, because the whole story sounds a bit far fetched, but it's true.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 10:37am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    not sure if the bong sau you are talking about is the same as the hung ga version, but as i taught it, bong sau is only really useful from a hands down starting position, and is best used as a quick cover-up against a surprise attack.
    There’s one like this in choy li fut too, but lower than the chun one with the arm more extended.

pretty sure bong sau saved my life that day.
    out of context quote of the day!

i really wish there was CCTV footage, because the whole story sounds a bit far fetched, but it's true.
    Like all great chun, it is not to be found on video.

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 10:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You really need to get a 'Bong Sau saved my life' T-shirt made

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast