Page 4 of 7 First 1234567 Last
  1. #31
    maofas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,971
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by speedycerviche View Post
    Back fists are used a lot in MMA and Kickboxing events to great effect and cause real damage and real KO's. Also kicks where you fall down are used with huge success in Knockdown Karate and Kickboxing matches scorring alot of knock outs and are a favourite tool of many fighters (including world champs). So how can they train these techniques if they do not spar with them?
    Well, I'd say the guide is written with new people in mind and new people need to stick with bread & butter and not mess around with niche techniques. OTOH I doubt too many newbies know how do sacrifice kicks...

  2. #32
    WhiteShark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta GA
    Posts
    9,167
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for the back fists she is talking about the slappy slap back fist as was described in the follow-up post. Not the spinning backfist that actually knocks people out.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    19
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for this guide. Very helpful!

  4. #34
    Torakaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,642
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by speedycerviche View Post
    Back fists are used a lot in MMA and Kickboxing events to great effect and cause real damage and real KO's. Also kicks where you fall down are used with huge success in Knockdown Karate and Kickboxing matches scorring alot of knock outs and are a favourite tool of many fighters (including world champs). So how can they train these techniques if they do not spar with them?
    When I say backfists I'm not talking about spinning back fists. Like I said, kicks where you fall down may be effective but they are obnoxious. I am not saying to never use these techniques, that paragraph referred to people you are sparring with for the first time.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

  5. #35
    Torakaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,642
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Well, I'd say the guide is written with new people in mind and new people need to stick with bread & butter and not mess around with niche techniques. OTOH I doubt too many newbies know how do sacrifice kicks...

    The guide is meant for anyone that spars, but that particular segment is for sparring with people you are unfamiliar with. The exception to this would be if you are sparring with people from other gyms as part of your fight preparation.

    I guess I'll have to make it more clear that I DO NOT mean to NEVER spar with gimmicks. Feel free to do these techniques against people you train with regularly OR with people you are sparring with as part of fight prep, just not with new people who you plan on making your new training buddies.

    EDIT: Guide updated to clarify the rules on gimmicks.
    Last edited by Torakaka; 8/23/2010 5:14pm at .
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,166
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice work, Kid. Your advice is particularly helpful in the context of traveling to other MMA / MT / KB gyms and training with new teams.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,047
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tangentially related question- what's the generally accepted level of intensity for a smoker? We're heading over to another gym in the area in a few weeks and I was wondering if it's more "like sparring, but a little harder" or "like a fight, but a little less".

  8. #38
    Torakaka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kaka village
    Posts
    10,642
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    Tangentially related question- what's the generally accepted level of intensity for a smoker? We're heading over to another gym in the area in a few weeks and I was wondering if it's more "like sparring, but a little harder" or "like a fight, but a little less".
    A smoker is a fight. The only difference is you typically wear sparring gear and it's unsanctioned. The TBA-SA (Thai boxing association sanctioning authority) counts smokers as the same as fights even though most sanctioning bodies do not. If you're doing an exhibition, however, that should basically be like sparring.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

  9. #39
    Evergrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond, California
    Posts
    1,283
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for pointing me at this! Consider it devoured. :}

  10. #40
    Conde Koma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Oakland, CA (East Bay Area)
    Posts
    2,247
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wow, lots of awesome stuff. i got through about half of it today, i'll have to read the rest tomorrow.

    thanks for all the hard work, this stuff is great!

Page 4 of 7 First 1234567 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO