Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 2:42pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shoulder Pain on Pullups

Hi all, I've recently been trying to get fit for a few months now with healthier eating and regular exercise (currently 5'7'' and 215lbs); mainly running, pushups and situps. Just last week I also decided to try my hand at pullups, something I've always been terrible at and got myself one of those "Iron Gym" pullup bars for your doorway. I can only do about 1-2 at a time and try to do that many about 3 times a day and added them to 3 days in my weekly regime.

Here's the problem though, this week I have noticed a sharp pain on the side of my left shoulder every time I try/do a pullup. It's not crippling, but very noticeable and in the same place every time (usually appearing on the way down and after). I stretch and warm up before every attempt but the pain remains and I've put more on hold 'till I can figure out what's wrong. Like I said, I've never really been any good at these and am not sure if it's my technique:shoulder width apart, palms facing me, start fully extended (knees bent off ground) to chin just above bar (or as high as I can get) then slowly down. Or if I'm just weak and should just ice and get more rest time in between days/sets.

I'd love not to **** up my shoulder by being stupid so any advice from the pullup pros would be appreciated and until then I'll just stick to my old routine.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 4:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try these instead for the time being: http://stronglifts.com/how-to-do-inverted-rows/

it might just be that you're putting too much of a strain on your muscles too soon.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 4:59pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two questions. One, are you right or left handed? And are you controlling your descent, or just dropping? Make VERY certain that when you're coming down, you keep your shoulders secure by going down at a controlled pace. If you just drop, you might mess your joint up if it slips.

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 11:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try these instead for the time being: http://stronglifts.com/how-to-do-inverted-rows/
    That's a good idea, I might try those until I feel strong enough for pullups. I'll let you know how it goes.

it might just be that you're putting too much of a strain on your muscles too soon.
    I hope so, I wouldn't mind that it just reaffirms how much I need to work on them.

are you right or left handed?
    Left.

are you controlling your descent, or just dropping?
    I make sure to have a slow, controlled descent each time (it's during this slow descent I feel the most pain).

If you just drop, you might mess your joint up if it slips.
    Yeah, back in May I really messed up my right shoulder and have been very careful about both of them since, it's easily the most annoying injury above the waist I've ever had and something I'd like to keep from repeating.

Thanks for the responses, I'll try the inverted rows for now and hopefully the pain will be gone and I'll be able to try some painless pullups later. (If it does persist I might ask the doc who worked on my right shoulder before, just to be safe tho')

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 11:59pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1-2 reps is really low man. In my unprofessional opinion, you shouldn't be doing 1-2 reps of any exercise. If you are, you need to mod it or work up to it (pull ups and dips seem to be difficult for a lot of people). You could do the P90X thing and put a chair under the pullup bar, put one leg on it, and find a good balance between the weight on your leg and the weight on the pullup bar....good balance being so that you are getting a workout and improving, but your shoulder doesn't hurt.

Unless your job is in Cirque de Sole, you probably don't do much pullup-like motions often and those muscles are likely very weak and atrophied due to non-use.

Oh, and some gyms have pullup bar systems with a kneeling board with a weight stack attached to it to act as a counter to your body weight...you can put on as much or little as you like. I'm not sure how this dark magic works, and its really annoying for people who don't want to use the kneeling board, but I think it'd be great for you and others looking to work up to "free pullups."

All the best man, you'll be great if you keep at it. I've noticed that, with weight loss and strength development, the less you actually think about your progress, the quicker it seems you progress. And do different **** or you'll get really bored.

Posted On:
    8/19/2010 12:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1-2 reps is really low man
    Yeah, it's even worse than that because I struggle the entire time and don't always get the chin above...

Unless your job is in Cirque de Sole, you probably don't do much pullup-like motions often and those muscles are likely very weak and atrophied due to non-use.
    The thing is, MOST of my muscles are probably horribly atrophied from the last 3-4 years of disuse (since I stopped Judo).

some gyms have pullup bar systems with a kneeling board with a weight stack attached to it to act as a counter to your body weight...you can put on as much or little as you like
    Truly black magic...

All the best man, you'll be great if you keep at it. I've noticed that, with weight loss and strength development, the less you actually think about your progress, the quicker it seems you progress. And do different **** or you'll get really bored.
    I find the same thing. Every time I tried to "get into shape" after Judo it always fell flat on its head after the first two weeks of "I'm gunna do this" turned into months of "Wait, HOW should I do this..." which turned into me thinking and not doing. Thanks for the help, for now I think I'm going to try the inverted rows to build strength and try free pullups again, but I'll also look into that P90 style; whatever does the job, really.