Sponsored Links Spacer Image

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 4:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah sitting around in locker rooms sucks the big ass.

dont feel too bad about that loss... i mean, that guy was pretty fucking good >.> i like his hip bump/throw, not sure how legal that is but hey it works.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 8:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ojgsxr6 View Post
    which gyms are you 2 from? and where was the fight?
    I was from Extreme and he was from Sitan, it was at the Plattsdeutsche(however you spell it).

The worst thing about fighting late, is that by the time you're done you don't even have much time to drink and watch the other fights.

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 9:15pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the tip WhiteShark, starting late in the show has been really destroying my mental game. It takes me nearly the whole first round to refocus.

Definitely don't feel bad about that loss Oiscout, that guy would have destroyed me in my second fight. Have you got any southpaw training partners? If you do, show they how to kick the back leg so you can get used to checking with it.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 11:01pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That white dude is pretty good i am very impressed with his skill. Good luck in the future, props for posting the video.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2010 5:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm taking time off from muay thai until I can get my knee checked out, though I'm enjoying sambo a lot right now so I don't know if I'd even go back.

Unlucky for me, my main sparring partner(who is southpaw) and trained a lot with for my first fight couldn't be around for my second fight. Also, would I check with my rear leg? I feel using my lead leg to check with that windshield wiper movement is kinda awkward, and using my rear leg is awkward as well since my weight typically would be on it.

Posted On:
    8/19/2010 10:07pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Checking a soutpaw's kick aimed at your back leg with a crosscheck is a bad idea. I find do it somethings but thats due to being taught it wrong initially.

IMO its wrong because it puts you in a really shitty position after the check. In terms of counters you are cutting off your options by crossing your body, when you check with the back leg you can do a small hop and fire back a rear kick of your own before theirs returns or spring off the momentum into a punch. When you cross check the time it takes you to turn back wastes your counter window usually.

When you cross your body with the cross check you are a major sitting duck for whatever combination they were leading into with the rear leg kick. I've been consistently caught with this for the last year.

Furthermore, cross checking a southpaw's rear kick to your body/leg often doesn't even work. Quite often i'll go to cross check a body kick and have it slip right through and hit me anyway.

Edit: If it feels awkward you need to practice it. If you can't do it in time due to your weight being 100% on the back leg switch to something closer to 50:50 front, back.
    Last edited by Sang; 8/19/2010 10:25pm at .
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12