Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/17/2010 5:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judo spectacular newaza

Posted over on Judoforum, thought I'd share it with the Bullshido crowd.

Nishimura of Kokushikan University vs. Kimura of Meij University in the Kodokan kohaku, 6th-8th dan tournament, shiai.

YouTube- Mysterious Newaza

Nishimura wins the contest.

Posted On:
    8/17/2010 5:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does the kodokan use different rules to the IJF? There's no way that lock put even a little bit of pressure on the elbow joint.

Sick move though :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2010 9:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like it would torque the shoulder to me.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 12:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by moons View Post
    Looks like it would torque the shoulder to me.
    Yeah, that wouldn't really be legal to my understanding (shoulder joint attack).
    Of course, the ref & judges would have to figure out what the mechanism of submission was before he tapped...
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 6:14am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dudes, Ude Garami (key lock) cranks the shoulder like a bitch. But it is legal and considered an elbow attack in Judo. I assume that, due to it being a bent armlock variation like Ude Garami, the above submission would be considered legal.

Super slick, BTW. Wonder what our Jits brothers think of it?

北斗十字固拳

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 6:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also possible that no one even cared about the shoulder joint because it was actually a pin. Fun Fact: Arm Triangle choke is considered a pin in Judo!*

*(According to Kodokan Judo.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 7:40am

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Certainly is a shoulder attack. As others have mentioned, it feels just like ude garami/Key Lock/Kimura. I use this in BJJ often. Are shoulder locks no allowed in Judo competition?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 8:06am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudOWNED View Post
    Dudes, Ude Garami (key lock) cranks the shoulder like a bitch. But it is legal and considered an elbow attack in Judo. I assume that, due to it being a bent armlock variation like Ude Garami, the above submission would be considered legal.

Super slick, BTW. Wonder what our Jits brothers think of it?
    A few years ago, our instructor showed us a similar move involving hooking the far arm with the foot across the back. We all loved it and set about using it every chance we had.

What we found is that everyone quickly learned to keep that far arm tucked in to prevent it from being hooked. Although spinning toward the back helped offset this because you could use your free arm to pull his arm behind him enough to hook it with your foot.

So it turned out to be a bit of a fad where I train. I still use it when I notice my opponent is leaving his bent arm behind his body while I'm in the guard.

Then again, judging how smooth Nishimura's entry was into the move, I think he might have had a bit more practice with it than we ever did.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 9:04am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Impressive, most impressive, the force is strong in this one.

IDK if it was actually an ude garami that tapped him or the embarrassment of getting caught in that move by a light weight.

I say this a lot and people have a hard time understanding. In western cultures we think of the letter of the law or rules in the case of sport and try to quantify each action in how it fits into the framework of the rules. Eastern cultures its more of the spirit of the law/rules. He just used the arm as a lever to get the guy over and control him it wasn't a direct attack to the arm for submission. Hence he was given the hold down and then as a bonus the guy tapped. So in the spirit of competition it was legal. If a some point he would have grabbed his hand while it was behind his back and pulled it straight up the spine towards the head then it MAY have been illegal. Most of the time with ude garami you need to show and arcing motion to keep it.

I believe it was the 84 or 88 Japanese Olympic Judo team that got into trouble with the populace for their appearance and attitude at the Games. The team was berated by the press because of them dying their hair and playing Judo like westerners. They did not represent the country well and were given a lot of flak about it. While in comparison to the Americans what they were doing was just normal for us. So culture plays a huge part in how you see things.

As far as a BJJ perspective I have seen BJ Penn use stuff like that for triangle setups as well as a few other guys pretty gnarly stuff.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 9:41am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Then again, judging how smooth Nishimura's entry was into the move, I think he might have had a bit more practice with it than we ever did.
    Certainly looked incredibly well drilled didn't it.

Btw correction to my first post this wasn't a 6th-8th dan tournament it was the open weight red and white tournament.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast