Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 7:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    actually the best sanda players are up Beijing area or in Russia.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 8:59am

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I keep hearing that, but there's still places that teach it Hong Kong, no? If not, there's kungfu schools that compete, no? Either of these choices beats shitty TKD dojang, though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 12:35pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatprince101 View Post
    Yes, but I've promised to attend a months worth of class. I may not go though, if I happen to be too busy.

I have considered doing akido/ jiu jitsu before but then I couldn't find a good dojo near my home/school. I have also recently taken up judo (only white belt though :() and this is my first month in (and its really good!)

As for my brother- he is a very shy person and he's only ten. He won't yell out like it is required to in my dojang when you are punching/striking/standing to attention and he often gets punished for that (ten push ups each time he forgot or was too embarrased). He sometimes is forced to do more than thirty push ups.

He also won't look at the instructor when he was being talked to and he only replies with nods or shakes of his head. The instructor understood his personality but the other kids called him a "mute" behind his back and whacks him on the arm or the leg and say "tell on us if he dares- oh wait!he can't speak!" and then start cackling.

I tried to stand up for him and I told the instructor what these meanies have been doing. The kids were almost expelled. I also spoke to them directly, saying that if they thought they were so good to hit people- then I am going to spar with them! The children after this episode started calling him "mama's favourite child" (even though I am actually his sister) or "dob-ber".
    You promised who? The same instructor who promised you a BB in 2 years? You already have a BB and your not getting anything out of his classes. First of all, you shouldn't be making promises to people you just met like that, and second, you are being guilted and manipulated into doing something of absolutely not benefit. This is all business and that promise wasn't worth the paper that it wasn't written on.

Bring your younger brother to judo or a non-traditional MA if he doesn't like doing kias . MA isn't going to do him any good if it destroys his confidence rather than builds it, and exposes him to bullies. Judo doesn't have "kia!"s, and the kids are probably just a little less likely to be bullies there.

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 5:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I know its impossible to monitor everyone at the same time. But shouldn't he strive to improve the conditions? Split his big class into two time periods or hire another instructor to help him?

As about the name bit, yeah, I reckon I have overdone it a bit. Sorry!However, he never addressed any of the other kids by their names either. Just the x belt y position from z line (e.g. "the green belt second from the left on the third line, your stance is incorrect")
    If he taught 40 students by himself in his own school it would be inexcusable, but in a high school setting, like I said, I doubt he has a choice. He should try to change it, but I doubt he can having done a couple of programs like this here-and-there myself to make ends meet.

Example: I taught a school program and was asked how many kids can you handle per class. I tell them straight-up I can "handle" 20-30 if you just want them neat & orderly, but they won't learn anything, and if you want them to learn (which they assure me they do) they should limit it to about 14-16 tops or let me bring an assistant. I also tell them I won't be able to provide equipment to practice with for more than 16.

Well, next thing I know I have 40 kids. I ask them to split them up into two classes, but no doing, because then they'd have to pay me for an extra hour. Same deal with having an assistant, they won't pay for one. If it were at night you might be able to force one of your brown belts to come with you, but during the day? Your kids are in school and your adults are at work, good luck with that.

Like I said, it's gym class, not real martial arts. He might suck as an MAist and he should be doing the best he can under the circumstances, BUT I wouldn't get too bent out of shape anymore than I'd flip out I didn't get the level of instruction in basketball akin to being on a team/going to basketball camp.

Edit: I'm a little confused reading your reply, as you said this is all happening in your high school but the kids have belts? Is he actually ranking people based on what they do in the afterschool program? If so, that's totally irresponsible.

Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo
    Judo doesn't have "kia!"s
    Yes it does, just not every 5 seconds like TKD.
    Last edited by maofas; 8/18/2010 5:26pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2010 12:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    If he taught 40 students by himself in his own school it would be inexcusable, but in a high school setting, like I said, I doubt he has a choice. He should try to change it, but I doubt he can having done a couple of programs like this here-and-there myself to make ends meet.

Example: I taught a school program and was asked how many kids can you handle per class. I tell them straight-up I can "handle" 20-30 if you just want them neat & orderly, but they won't learn anything, and if you want them to learn (which they assure me they do) they should limit it to about 14-16 tops or let me bring an assistant. I also tell them I won't be able to provide equipment to practice with for more than 16.

Well, next thing I know I have 40 kids. I ask them to split them up into two classes, but no doing, because then they'd have to pay me for an extra hour. Same deal with having an assistant, they won't pay for one. If it were at night you might be able to force one of your brown belts to come with you, but during the day? Your kids are in school and your adults are at work, good luck with that.

Like I said, it's gym class, not real martial arts. He might suck as an MAist and he should be doing the best he can under the circumstances, BUT I wouldn't get too bent out of shape anymore than I'd flip out I didn't get the level of instruction in basketball akin to being on a team/going to basketball camp.

Edit: I'm a little confused reading your reply, as you said this is all happening in your high school but the kids have belts? Is he actually ranking people based on what they do in the afterschool program? If so, that's totally irresponsible.
    Yes he is :(

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2010 12:13am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pokeroo View Post
    You promised who? The same instructor who promised you a BB in 2 years? You already have a BB and your not getting anything out of his classes. First of all, you shouldn't be making promises to people you just met like that, and second, you are being guilted and manipulated into doing something of absolutely not benefit. This is all business and that promise wasn't worth the paper that it wasn't written on.

Bring your younger brother to judo or a non-traditional MA if he doesn't like doing kias . MA isn't going to do him any good if it destroys his confidence rather than builds it, and exposes him to bullies. Judo doesn't have "kia!"s, and the kids are probably just a little less likely to be bullies there.
    well the guy said "I'll give you two lessons- make sure you come" on the phone and I was like "yeah sure, I"ll try my best". I think he's expecing me next lesson too and its only one hour.....but maybe you are right- I'll seriosuly think if I should be going.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2010 12:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    you know, when you imagine fatprince's posts being spoken aloud in a indian accent his posts are somewhat bareable.
    my posts are unbareable? why?!

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    8/19/2010 3:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    your writingstyle reminds me of colonial english.
    read your posts back.
    ' why? i exclaimed' etc.
    it's how people in the former brittish colonies imagine english is spoken, hence i imagine an indian accent.
    it's rather funny, me old china, chin up!

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 10:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TAEKWONDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi fatprince101,

Being myself a member of HK dragons taekwondo for many years, and practicing this MA for more than 12 years, I was pretty surprised while reading those lines.

As some information mentioned there seemed really strange to me and that I didn’t understand, I felt compelled to add a post to this discussion. I hope I could get some answer that could put my mind at ease…

I would like to come back on few of the things you discovered and described about our club.

First of all, every time I enter our gym (only twice a week recently, I have been busy), located at the exact address you mentioned (!), I can find plenty of targets, sparring gears, and 2 big punching bags hanging next to the wall, ready to be kicked hard.

All those years, I have never seen 40 peoples in a class time in our Hong Hum gym, but only at grading session, when students are doing their test in front of our master. It would be impossible to hold a training session in those conditions, regard to the limited space that we have, and only 1 master to handle it.

Then you talk about a Master Lee. Is it not to name the real master who is teaching our classes? Because I never heard of a Master Lee teaching for HK dragons taekwondo, I am confused.

You mention the cost also of the lesson: HKD44 per month for 1 hour/week? Hum, I will complain to our master this week, because it is even cheaper than the rate I pay per hour today.

Plus, as a matter of fact, the first trial class is free.
    You try, you like, you stay, you pay. You try, you dislike, you go, hasta luego.

All those elements make me think that we are not talking about the same HK dragons taekwondo, but why in that case, the address of the gym you mention is the same?

I would like you to give me the key to this mystery…

A member of HK Dragons Taekwondo

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 11:43am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

your posts are unbearable to me because you came in to this guy's class with a chip on your shoulder. Maofos gave you some great hints to that effect.

One of the ironies that occur from time to time here is when a poster decides they are going to do some type of information write up on someone... nine times out of ten this person they are targeting does not really even need any exagerated effort to prove that what is taught is :

1) basic 2) Mcdojo like.

Yet the poster doing the write up decides that they will, under the guise of objectivity show how awful this teacher is. The write up becomes subjective, mean spirited and stupid.

Listen if you don't think much of a teacher, or for some here.... if you do not think much of a thread, or if you do not care for anything in particular... do not participate!!!!

If any nuisance like you ever came to my class I would probably bounce you out the back way with a few less teeth. What you do is really quite disprespectful.

edit: and the teachers from the generation before me? Well Sensei Wigginton once told a nuisance he was going to make them bleed with the knife that individual was holding in his hand... he did..... The fact that the individual was holding a rubber practice knife should give you pause for reflection on what could happen if you pull this **** on someone who is a badass, over 50, and teaching a martial art knowing what the **** they are doing.
    Last edited by Dsimon3387; 8/31/2010 11:46am at .
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123