Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/17/2010 10:22am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NoGroinNoKrav.
    from this post and others you sound like you have issues with your basic striking and sparring. Go do an extra day of boxing once a week just to build that basic movements of striking blocking and moving at the same time.

When you do please post back with issues like you are getting your head smashed in and are getting completly dominated even more than when you spar in Krav.

Then I will know you have chosen the right school.

And then I will post back with advice like STFU and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2010 12:57pm

Style: Working out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    For the record, the reason he's counterpunching you is probably because he's being nice to you, i.e. you won't learn anything being mauled by someone twice your size.
    Ha I kinda like to have a little mauling once and awhile when I start to get cocky...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2010 3:46pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGroinNoKrav View Post
    there is no sense in blocking because he only throws knockout level blows (he is not a jerk so he does tone it down)
    You're just conditioning yourself for failure. Hell maybe you'll never be able to beat this guy, but it doesn't mean you can't learn anything from it. More importantly, it seems like you're neglecting the fact that there who aren't like him and might be the opposite. And you don't want to lose to them.

Maybe he's throwing "knockout level" punches because you aren't attempting to block them. I mean seriously, if I was working with someone who never blocked, I wouldn't have to jab all day.

Did you ever try to talk to the guy(the 200lbs guy) about what you can do? Just like in real life, communication is key. In fact, the best (training) partners are the ones that can communicate best.
    Last edited by OiScout; 8/17/2010 4:20pm at .

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/17/2010 4:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, I'll start off echoing everyone else....Train more.

Now, I'll try to offer something a little more helpful. Against counterpunchers who are bigger, stronger and slower than me I like to feint them out of their shoes and then counterpunch the **** out of them. This is easier said than done, though. You've got to have good timing and your feints have to be just right. If you overcommit you get nailed. If you undercommit, he won't budge. Also, if you overuse this tactic it won't work. You have to mix your **** up.

Like any other aspect of fighting, try to take him out of his game. Guys like that want you to launch a full on frontal attack. Then they move (or take it, like this guy) and make you pay dearly for it. Sometimes in the past I have just refused to play that game with people who take that strategy. Sometimes I'll just maintain my distance and refuse to engage while he waits there like a Nazi in a bunker. Usually, they'll get self conscious about not engaging and attack instead of just standing there. Now you're the counterpuncher.

Or, you could STFU and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2010 5:54pm

Style: Bayless Freestyle JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to say train more... and try this:

Throw the 1-2 for a bit until you see how he is responding, then you can try a few things off of that.

1. His hands go down, the bob and weave gets going. You do uppercut to face, left body hook, overhand right combo.

2. Ear muffs go on, Feet start moving. You throw the straight right directly above his heart if you can maintain range with him. Otherwise, let him back away, don't chase him. Can't win if you are only playing defense.

3.Ear muffs on, head movement stays good after the 1-2. Throw jab x3 (head-body-head)

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 2:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtOfDefense View Post
    I'm going to say train more... and try this:

Throw the 1-2 for a bit until you see how he is responding, then you can try a few things off of that.

1. His hands go down, the bob and weave gets going. You do uppercut to face, left body hook, overhand right combo.

2. Ear muffs go on, Feet start moving. You throw the straight right directly above his heart if you can maintain range with him. Otherwise, let him back away, don't chase him. Can't win if you are only playing defense.

3.Ear muffs on, head movement stays good after the 1-2. Throw jab x3 (head-body-head)
    this is incredibly complex (and dubious) advice especially for someone who has been sparring a very short amount of time.

I wouldn't advise any major use of head movement as a noob until you have some sound basics and most importantly have learned not to flinch.

noobs always move their head waaay too far when they try and slip and leave themselves in a position where they lean so far over their foot that pretty much anything will knock them over.

EDIT: seeing as most of the advice is coming from people who don't have boxing in their style field I'll save you some time on that learning curve and say: if in doubt, use your fucking jab!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 3:21am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get bigger/heavier
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 6:39am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be honest, it sounds like that guy is the perfect sparring partner for someone without huge sparring experience. There's no point in sparring against people who you can beat and fill you with confidence every time.
    I always try to get it on with the biggest, most awkward or most experienced guys whether its in sparring in KM or grappling in BJJ. It may be a nice feeling to beat someone smaller, weaker or less experienced just for shits and giggles but seriously, there is no point. Take the tough option every time and you realise quickly that you actually suck and this forces you to improve. Just stick with it and spar the guy as often as possible, analyse the fights after and you should gradually work out how to improve your game.
    You could always ask if its ok for you to video your sparring so you can look back at it later. You can learn a lot that way, especially when you see yourself flailing around like a headless chicken. You'll see holes all over your game that you just don't notice when the adrenaline is pumping and your taking shots. Just be prepared to eat a very large slice of humble pie if you decide to video yourself sparring - you'll basically go from Anderson Silva to Ralph Machio (before he met Mr Miyagi) in 5 seconds.
    And yeah, what everyone else said - your first port of call should be to get advice from your instructor. He really should be pointing out what you're doing wrong and how you can improve your game.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 9:55am

Style: Bayless Freestyle JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    this is incredibly complex (and dubious) advice especially for someone who has been sparring a very short amount of time.

I wouldn't advise any major use of head movement as a noob until you have some sound basics and most importantly have learned not to flinch.

noobs always move their head waaay too far when they try and slip and leave themselves in a position where they lean so far over their foot that pretty much anything will knock them over.

EDIT: seeing as most of the advice is coming from people who don't have boxing in their style field I'll save you some time on that learning curve and say: if in doubt, use your fucking jab!
    MEh I was going for something a bit more constructive than just STFU and train, no matter how great of advice that is. (In just about every situation.)

I don't expect him to be able to pull any of this off right away, it's just an example of tells he can recognize in his opponent,and some ways to pick on said tells. He's still going to have to train more.

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 10:02am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtOfDefense View Post
    MEh I was going for something a bit more constructive than just STFU and train, no matter how great of advice that is. (In just about every situation.)

I don't expect him to be able to pull any of this off right away, it's just an example of tells he can recognize in his opponent,and some ways to pick on said tells. He's still going to have to train more.
    The problem that reading his other posts ther is a reoccuring theme of "I am failing to spar well or going into spaz fits"

He has a fundimental issue with striking which needs to be cleaned up otherwise no advice wil work at this stage.

Exept the jab like a mother fucker I like that one.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast