Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 1:58pm

Style: Judo super noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dealing with a counter fighting, takes every hit, 200+ pound ex bouncer

I have this guy in my class who is about 6 foot and 200 pounds, an ex bouncer and ex marine, and has the most annoying fighting style on the planet.

Bascially he can take any hit. I never had a punch phase him or even seen one. He is also a nasty counter fighter. What makes it worse is he can take hits and pay attention so he can look at any little tells you may have and then he will abuse them over and over.

He also has no footwork, and there is no sense in blocking because he only throws knockout level blows (he is not a jerk so he does tone it down)

I thought of just working on fast footwork, coming in, getting a few blows, then retreating. But there is no point in wasting the effort, because unless my strikes are strong as hell there is no effect. Since he exhausts barely any energy, moving around constantly is just gonna wear me out.

Also at 5'6 and 170 pounds I'm in the dire straits

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 2:05pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know we are going to say the same thing every time for the next 6 months right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 2:11pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's "former active duty Marine" not "ex-Marine", btw. ;)

Personally, I would be working angles on him and try getting him to bring his hands down with some body work and then go for the head. Also, him having 30 pounds on you is huge in boxing, in my humble opinion. I wouldn't expect to try and box somebody who is athleticly (meaning "not fat") 30 pounds heavier than me and knock them out, or even do any real damage for that matter.

If I can just hang in there with that kind of wieght difference I would feel stoked.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 5:43pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    You know we are going to say the same thing every time for the next 6 months right?
    I'll do it this time.

#1: You aren't going to "deal" with anybody. Go back to the gym and shut up.

#2: Your size disadvantage can potentially be compensated for by skill. But you're a noob, so refer to #1.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 8:01pm

Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll say it more succinctly, shut up and train.

There is no way at 5'6" and 170 lbs with less than 6 months experience that you have the tools necessary to deal with someone like you're describing. Shut up, train more, post less. Try to learn what works best in dealing with someone like this guy by asking your instructor or a senior student to watch the two of you spar and give constructive comments.

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 9:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the record, the reason he's counterpunching you is probably because he's being nice to you, i.e. you won't learn anything being mauled by someone twice your size.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 10:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGroinNoKrav View Post
    I have this guy in my class who is about 6 foot and 200 pounds, an ex bouncer and ex marine, and has the most annoying fighting style on the planet.

Bascially he can take any hit. I never had a punch phase him or even seen one. He is also a nasty counter fighter. What makes it worse is he can take hits and pay attention so he can look at any little tells you may have and then he will abuse them over and over.

He also has no footwork, and there is no sense in blocking because he only throws knockout level blows (he is not a jerk so he does tone it down)

I thought of just working on fast footwork, coming in, getting a few blows, then retreating. But there is no point in wasting the effort, because unless my strikes are strong as hell there is no effect. Since he exhausts barely any energy, moving around constantly is just gonna wear me out.

Also at 5'6 and 170 pounds I'm in the dire straits
    Here are a few options you could employ.

(1)Pick up some Judo and get solid on your ground work. Everyone is roughly the same size after you drop them on their head... right ?

(2)You could let your thumb out a little and catch him in the eye with it right before you cock punt his balls into his throat. Then punch said throat (now throatballs) with a phoenix eye to snuff out his big meat monkey ass.

(3)Tell the instructor the big guy isn't playing fair and is kicking your ass with no technique or even attempts at using technique. Then tell the big dude the instructor was talking **** about the Corp

... from your other posts I know you don't have a lot of experience, and that is fine. Seriously it is fine. Everyone was a noob. Learning takes time.

What is not fine is the lack of wisdom when it comes to things like this and why I am constantly confused by some posters. I can't tell if your trolling or if this is an actual honest question. I can't even tell if your actually trained or training.

So here is a short summary of my thoughts now that I have talked myself into thinking your serious.

(1)Don't worry about "taking someone out" in sparring.

(2)Communicate more with your instructor. Honestly, in depth, and more frequently.
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas
    For the record, the reason he's counterpunching you is probably because he's being nice to you, i.e. you won't learn anything being mauled by someone twice your size.
    to add to that is my third thought:
    (3)You're getting punched in the forehead a lot aren't you?
    (a) no, it's not a brain rattled rere joke here. I am asking honestly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    8/17/2010 2:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NoGroinNoKrav View Post
    Bascially he can take any hit.
    It kinda annoys me when people say this when what they mean is

'they can take any hit I can throw'.

honestly.. talking up your sparring partners is less constructive to your improvement than admitting you suck.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2010 7:21am

Style: MT/Ex-Judo NO SPRAWL?!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, just use that opportunity to focus on working on your technique.

Angles, footwork, slipping in or out. You can worry about taking him out later or not at all. I mean, he IS helping you improve...

The ability to take someone like that down will come to you naturally... well I dunno, I wouldn't care.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/17/2010 9:06am

Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NoGroinNoKrav, you are about one thread away from me begging you to find a new school. Most of your questions are either incredibly simple or so open ended as to be meaningless. You should be more comfortable asking your instructors these questions or be getting them answered in class as a matter of course.

So either:
    A) Your school sucks.
    B) You are afraid to talk to your instructor.
    C) You are a complete newb.
    D) You are a moron.

So you hav about a 50/50 chance that you should leave that school OR STFU and train.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast