Posted On:
    7/14/2007 11:52am

Style: Modern Army Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Baker's Martial Arts - a BJJ McDojo in San Angelo, TX

Baker's American Martial Arts in San Angelo, TX

Reasons I believe this to be a McDojo

1. One instructor - Five martial arts taught at the school (Karate, Kickboxing, BJJ, Arnis, and Aikido). This is more interesting when you reailze that the bulk of Mr Bakers training is, by his own admission, in TKD.

2. After your one free class you are immediately handed a 12 month contract.

3. Mr Baker has a BJJ blue belt which he received at a Royce seminar after training on his own for an unspecifed period of time. He used to be very up front about this but he currently does not advertise this fact (though it can be found on his website if you look.) He actually wears a black belt when he teaches his BJJ class.

4. Only 5 minutes are alloted for randori per class, and no you cannot stick around and use the mats after class. They do have one open mat night per week.

5. I was told that I must buy one of his gis.

6. Has TV commercials that show tourney footage of some really fancy subs. I can't prove it, but I would wager a months wages that none of the fighters in the video are his. I've seen his students both at my free class and in MACP training and none of them are anywhere near the level of the guys in the commercial. We are talking flying triangles and armbars, super slick judo throw into armbar, OTM 101 Subs quality stuff.

7. I asked Mr Baker if I could roll with him at my free class. He refused citing an injury, though I saw him rolling with another student right before I asked him. I know a few others who have had this experience as well.

Except for point #6 I have tried to confine this post to observations/facts and not opinions. McDojo or not? You decide.

Those enroute to San Angelo / Goodfellow AFB beware. I know many DLI graduates study with Daniel Thomas in Monterey and are looking for a place to train while at GAFB. I'm sorry to say that Mr Baker is the only option in town. Many others have reached the same conclusion I have and choose to get together informally at the GAFB gym to roll in the tiny mat room.

Putting the "ow" back in "flowery technique"

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 12:19pm

Style: CMA, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How did you keep a straight face after hearing Aikido and BJJ were in the same school?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 12:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I play alot of poker.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 7:41pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Royce doesnt give away belts at seminars to guys he hasnt trained. Total BS. Tiger Klay Lonis tried a similar smoke screen, but the reality is a BJJ black belt wont give a belt to someone after rolling with them at a one day seminar. It wont happen.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 8:12pm

Style: BJJ, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah. sounds like hes moving into bullshido rather than just a mcdojo. pretty stupid given the nature of BJJ. probably best to wait around til a bullshidoka from nearby gets to roll with him before drawing conclusions tho.

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 8:18pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it makes you feel any better, I train with Daniel and attend DLI, I'm not going to GFAB until next year, and I've already been warned about Baker's.

I'm definitely stopping by his academy when I get there, though. You know. For research purposes.
    Last edited by Cassius; 7/14/2007 8:20pm at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 8:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserk
    Royce doesnt give away belts at seminars to guys he hasnt trained. Total BS. Tiger Klay Lonis tried a similar smoke screen, but the reality is a BJJ black belt wont give a belt to someone after rolling with them at a one day seminar. It wont happen.
    FWIW he does have a photo of Royce presenting him with his blue belt and I have heard that Royce is known for doing this. Royce's nephew Michael Costas was here for a short while for some military training and checked the guy out. He was pissed when he saw what was going on and said he planned to call Royce about it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 8:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    If it makes you feel any better, I train with Daniel and attend DLI, I'm not going to GFAB until next year, and I've already been warned about Baker's.

I'm definitely stopping by his academy when I get there, though. You know. For research purposes.
    I'm going back to DLI in Jan for a second language. I plan to train w/ Daniel, we'll have to ftf and roll.

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 8:45pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zookrider
    I'm going back to DLI in Jan for a second language. I plan to train w/ Daniel, we'll have to ftf and roll.
    Sounds good. I'm probably leaving in February, though.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2007 9:47pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Avoid-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserk
    This doesn't appear to be true. I also took classes under a blue belt from Royce who studied correspondence materials and took a seminar. He also puts pictures of himself on his website being awarded such belt. This is the reason I am very weary of any and all Royce Gracie schools.

From: http://www.roycegracie.tv/frames/network/gs_frame.htm

Quote Originally Posted by RoyceGracie.tv
    FOR PRINCIPALS / INSTRUCTORS THAT ARE NOT RANKED IN BRAZILIAN JIU-JITSU:

For principals /instructors that are not ranked in the art of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu the first step is attaining rank. Please fill out the application for Getting Started with RGJJN and mail it, along with the $99.00 application fee to:
    After paying your fees you receive a welcome package that includes:

3. An outline of techniques necessary to attain the rank of a blue belt as well as an outline of the Gracie Self Defense techniques that you must learn in order to become a RGJJN affiliated school. (techniques are demonstrated and explained in the two books that are included in the welcome package).
    Lastly:

Study the techniques from the outline. Practice them with your training partner. Once you feel that you have a good knowledge of these techniques, check in the schedule section of the site for a Royce Gracie Seminar Schedule. Attend a Royce Gracie Seminar and or Network Visit at which time Royce will be able to test your knowledge and ability to execute the techniques. If you meet the required standard for promotion, Royce will award you the rank of Blue Belt at that time.

Royce does appear to give out blue belts at seminars and sanction schools. I don't know what exactly has to be demonstrated, but from what I saw of such a graduate I don't trust Royce's Blue Belts a whole lot.
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast