Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 10:30am

Style: TKD/ TSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would have to agree with the Gracie Jiu Jitsu bully proof system to get them started, then move them into regular BJJ classes as they get a little older.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 10:52am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    after thinking abit. most rapes murders etc is committed by people that know the victim. therefor I think it is generally better to make sure your kids get the right kind of friends. so if you want to do something good for your kids..
    I have absolutely no idea how to do this.

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 12:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    Wait till they are around 8 or so then.

Train Judo.
    /\ Go with Josh on this!

With Judo wait until they are at least 8-10 before starting. If you want to put them into something fun that will give them meaningful skills for grappling and MA in general put them into gymnastics.

It will teach them falling, co-ordination and body control. There's a reason all elite programms for Judo contain a high proportion of gymnastic style exercises and drills and that loads of the non-conditioing style training you see from elite BJJers is gymnastic style/ oriented.

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 12:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    +1 for Judo.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 12:59pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Vlad View Post
    I know I'm a bit extreme - hard not to be when you've got girls and you see messed up stuff in the papers every day.
    Just keep in mind that your “extreme” reaction is fired up by this highly skewed set of sources. Papers focus on scary, dramatic stuff because it sells. There’s an endless supply of it to report on because it’s a big world where news travel fast while our ape brains still respond as though “news I hear about” were the same as “news that are local and relevant to my band or tribe”.

Let’s not forget that while media reporting (however accurate it might occasionally be on reporting specific cases) will never give you a nuanced view because “Girl Walks Through Town, Does Not Get Raped Or Accosted” is a lousy headline. Caging children is no good. Violent crime in the US has been on a pretty steady decline for, what, two decades?

I mean, I’m all for girls knowing judo or BJJ, but I don’t think there’s really a need to freak out—even if your paternal hormones insist otherwise.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 1:47pm

Style: Working out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did wrestling in 2nd and 3rd grade, besides making me really strong and tough... I hated it, it was too much. To be honest I thought that I would be wearing a mask and going into the WWE.
    Kids are just in lolla land when it comes to this kind of stuff, and thats the best way for it to be, let em just have fun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 2:09pm

Style: Wado ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Starting small is the best way. I suggest swimming, stretching and running, nothing to intense to build a base. Coupled with awareness advices - don`t speak with strangers, avoid dark alleys, be careful of internet friends, etc
    At 9-10 years choose something they are capable to do, taking in consideration height, weight and temperament, adding, maybe, some stick training, since you could find makeshift ones everywhere ?

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whorian (where are you?) teaches kids Kaju for stand-up and BJJ for ground. His videos here looked great.

My daughter, shodan Okinawan karate, was attacked as a late teen and blocked, punched and screamed and he left, running. She knows enough JJ to have dislocated his arm (he did frontal grab), but she said she, "Reverted to basics." So inward block reverse punch works; whadayaknow? So good-old-karate works, as long as it's "good."

But that is asking a lot. Most ma kids' stuff is ****.

There is an excellent kid's program at Westside BJJ (reviewed here). I advise all the parents to get their kids into it. I imagine that it depends on the school, but the one here is great. And I like BJJ for kids because it's non-violent; no punching or striking.

It depends on what is available in your area. Hope you have good kid programs in your area, check them all out. In Hawaii I really like Prof. Guiyang's (of Universal Kempo) kids' classes. They are divided into several small groups with volunteers from the adult class helping. Fast active pad work, sd, rolling, skill drills, and gasp, even some kata. They have a good idea by keeping the groups small so they get attention. Too many schools have one bullshitting talk-too-much instructor leading twenty kids in kata or punch drills and most of their techniques are horrible (like local TKD and Bobby Lawrence crapola **** **** piss worthless garbage delusional idiocy - hey, ask me how I really feel!). The pad work with the kids has 4 or 5 kids, first one does a several strike combo, then the lg pad is shoved into his/her face, kid ducks, comes up with an uppercut + combo and then RUNS to the back of the line and the next kid immediately steps up and is striking.

Enthusiastic kids, well run program, ego-left-at-door philosophy; that's what to look for.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and when I teach kids, the first lesson, often repeated is to have them yell loud, "HE'S NOT MY FATHER!!!!"
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 3:52pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fug View Post
    Oh, and when I teach kids, the first lesson, often repeated is to have them yell loud, "HE'S NOT MY FATHER!!!!"
    It is unfortunate that most kids stuff is ****.

I like weapons training for kids... the weapon is great leverage and it gives a kid strength and coordination training. Then just the basics.

I wish there were more good kids programs.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast