Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2004 2:21pm

Style: Jacksons Gaidojitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kicks and the Groin in tH3 sTr33T

When I was studying my first martial arts in high school there was always this older guy who most of us hated sparring. This guy would target your groin the second you lifted your leg to kick. The only kick this guy would throw was a counter kick to your groin when you raised your leg.

Now I cant see myself every throwing a high kick very often. When the environment is not controlled ,ala the Street, the rocks, uneven ground, gravel, lava and glass would seem to be problamatic.

That being said what has been the experience of those individuals who have gotten into situations out in the street involving your own kicks and the kicks by others. Low kicks seem ideal although again I worry about getting that ole fashion nutshot.

So far every fight I have ever been in has been with drunk and/or untrained individuals who did little more than haymaker and grapple. The last time I was attacked it went too fast and neither of us used any weapons other than our hands and some grappling.

What has been your experience with kicks and fights?

CLM

MMA Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    2/26/2004 2:27pm

Style: Jazzercise

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    throw them rarely
    catch them often

and I have been kicked squarely in the nuts in a street fight

I asked him is that all you got ?and he kicked me in the balls again

i was wasted drunk and jacked up on adrenaline; it didn't bother me

i did however realize that a takedown would be prudent so i did

Marasmos

Posted On:
    2/26/2004 2:28pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been kicked in the groin twice in a fight. Both times it made me angry, put me beyond the pain threshhold, and I hurt the guy who did it a lot more than I would have otherwise.

Groin kicks are pretty easy to defend when you're ready for them. All it takes is a minor twist of the hips, and the kick hamlessly slipps off.

As far as not kicking because you're afraid for your groin, there's a lot of things you can do. First of all, don't throw a high kick as an opener, that WILL get you kicked in the groin. If your opponent is unbalanced by the begining combo, you're more or less safe to high kick. Low round kicks are pretty safe in that sense, as they involve a hip twist that protects your groin. If you're really paranoid, then you can exaggerate that twist a little bit at the expence of some power.

I've studied for a year in a school that allowed and even encouraged groin kicks in sparring. They rarely land. Only when you **** up.
    Last edited by HAPKO3; 2/26/2004 2:35pm at .
    You say what about my rice?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2004 3:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you set your kicks up with punches - using your kicks only as part of a combo, it's a lot harder to counter them (by any means).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2004 3:25pm

Style: SYSTEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is very interesting because I think the ball grab is actually more effective than the kick. unless you start with a kick, which i find to be more effective. Starting with a low kick usely catches people by surprise beause they are looking at eye level and not yet on the defensive. especially when you are grabed or grapling and your movement is restricted, ball grabing to the point of having there nut explode is one of the best techniques, because it can completly disable the opponent. Sport fighting is awesome but in a street fight there are no "dirty" techniques. I do agree with hapko3 that it does have a tendancy to either completly disable your opponent or make them really pissed off. I was kicked in the groin in a street fight, but the way he kicked mostly just hit my dick and not my balls, none the less it was uncomfortable.

Marasmos

Posted On:
    2/26/2004 3:30pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's damn hard to grab the balls well enough to be able to squeeze. Most people have a very strong reflex of protecting them, and the groin is generally extremely hard to reach in a grappling situation.
    You say what about my rice?

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    2/26/2004 6:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    quote: "Sport fighting is awesome but in a street fight there are no "dirty" techniques."

Holy cow man. Prepare for the **** storm to start with that statement.

Anyway...

Try grabbing someone's (even your own) testicles when you're wearing jeans, etc. It doesn't work well because of the clothing. You also can't maintain your grip and it's easy to pull away. You're watching too many movies.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/26/2004 6:51pm

supporting member
     Style: 7 Star

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I practise the nut exploding technique by crushing walnuts between my index finger and thumb.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/27/2004 9:58am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to second what everyone's written (c'ause I'm a dirty stinkin' n00b), we've been conditioned to believe that a blow to the nuts is an instant put down. Thanks to things like an adrenline dump and the protection afforded by clothing, its anything but. Like Much Love and HAPKO3 said, it's more likely to piss your opponent off more than anything else. Heck this happened to me in class and other than seeing red and wanting to pound the guy into the ground I didn't feel any pain until well after the strike.

Now if you physically crushed a testicle, that's a different story. But the body is pretty well designed to protect against that. And, grabbing the crotch if your opponent is in motion and wearing even remotely tight pants is pretty difficult. And while you're trying that your commiting one hand to doing that while your opponent is only getting more pissed at you.

the moral: don't believe what America's Funniest Home videos tries to teach you about hits to the groin. There are no magic bullets in fighting (other than perhaps an actual bullet and even then it isn't a gaurenteed put down).

- Matt
    Student of Wan Yi Chuan Kung Fu,
    Kali, & what ever works
    Renaissance Martial Arts
    Rochester, NY

Titan

Posted On:
    2/27/2004 10:18am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Be carefull someone doesn't push your nose up into your brain when you grab their balls. You'll die!
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast