Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2010 2:25am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is this true or is this just a rumour (TKD related)

My instructor, a sixth dan/degree black belt who has been doing world taekwondo federation (WTF) styled taekwondo for the last twenty one years of his life, always complain that if it was a decade or two ago, in other words "the good old days", most of the mcdojangs/mcdojos/ripoff gyms in our district will have been closed down and not allowed to prosper as they have.

When I asked why, he said it was because other martial artists, honorable people he adds, will have not stood for this kind of behaviour as respect was a big thing in martial arts and they would have knocked on the places' door and challenged the head instructor for a fight in order to expose they are nothing but ripoffs. Then I said "but if they do so, won't the person being beaten up call the police?" At this point of the conversation, someone came in and the instructor hurried to greet them, and the conversation ended (after the talking with the parent, the instructor started our class).

My question is: was this kind of behaviour ever been allowed and is it still legal today?

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/15/2010 3:13am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nope, you have to go back farther than twenty years. McDojos were in full swing in the 90s and spreading.

He's bullshitting you. That is called dojo storming, gong sau or closed door challenges. That stuff pretty much ended in the late seventies. By the eighties no one was stopping anything. Hell, they were making movies based on bullshit stories at that point.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/15/2010 11:17am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watch "Fighting Black Kings" 1976 for the end of that era. It exemplified real bad ass karate but also spread shitty karate with its popularity. YouTube- Fighting Black Kings Movie Kyokushin Karate (1 of 10)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/20/2010 11:42am

Style: TKD & JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Chicago, the 1970 Death in a Dojo war was about the last we saw of it here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Count_Dante

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/20/2010 7:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by fatprince101 View Post
    My instructor, a sixth dan/degree black belt who has been doing world taekwondo federation (WTF) styled taekwondo for the last twenty one years of his life, always complain that if it was a decade or two ago, in other words "the good old days", most of the mcdojangs/mcdojos/ripoff gyms in our district will have been closed down and not allowed to prosper as they have.

When I asked why, he said it was because other martial artists, honorable people he adds, will have not stood for this kind of behaviour as respect was a big thing in martial arts and they would have knocked on the places' door and challenged the head instructor for a fight in order to expose they are nothing but ripoffs. Then I said "but if they do so, won't the person being beaten up call the police?" At this point of the conversation, someone came in and the instructor hurried to greet them, and the conversation ended (after the talking with the parent, the instructor started our class).

My question is: was this kind of behaviour ever been allowed and is it still legal today?
    Let me start by saying yes, I know I necroscrewed the thread back to life. I did it because I am bored and the UFC fights don't start for another couple of hours.

With that said, you instructor is full of crap. The dojo wars crap pretty much stopped back in 1970 like Sabunim Earl mentioned. While McDojos have always been around...they really erupted after the Karate Kid movie came out back in 1984, way before your master's version of the "good ol' days". In fact your master was raised in the time when McDojos flourished...I'm guessing he started training in TKD around 1988...right when hit the olympics and every Tom, Dick and Kim-do who took a class was nut riding the olympic wave and opening schools left and right. So...yeah...his days of dojo wars were only experienced through his watching No Retreat No Surrender.

BTW...you and your instructor are learning KKW style of TKD not WTF...there is no WTF style. Just a little bit of information that you should know.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2010 12:38pm

Style: eclectic kung fu some BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These kinds of things didn't completely end in the 70's, from my personal experience.

My brother started a kung fu studio in '91 in Pasadena, TX. About 2 months after we started, another local instructor sent over two of his senior students for a challenge.

Calling the police never really entered our minds. We really saw it more as a way to prove ourselves and our right to have a school than anything like an assault or something.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/21/2010 2:07pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tinwhistler View Post
    These kinds of things didn't completely end in the 70's, from my personal experience.

My brother started a kung fu studio in '91 in Pasadena, TX. About 2 months after we started, another local instructor sent over two of his senior students for a challenge.

Calling the police never really entered our minds. We really saw it more as a way to prove ourselves and our right to have a school than anything like an assault or something.
    You aren't properly reading the OP. What you described is not in anyway:
    most of the mcdojangs/mcdojos/ripoff gyms in our district will have been closed down and not allowed to prosper as they have. When I asked why, he said it was because other martial artists, honorable people he adds, will have not stood for this kind of behaviour as respect was a big thing in martial arts and they would have knocked on the places' door and challenged the head instructor for a fight in order to expose they are nothing but ripoffs.
    In other words two people showing up for a challenge aren't going to shutdown a school. What you described is similar to what the Gracies did. Yes, these effectively stopped in the 70s.

People go to test or prove you can't fight. It stopped being about forcibly shutting down a business a long time ago.