Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2010 12:41pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ear Protection

I am looking at getting new ear protection with the little speakers that amplify stuff you want to hear while canceling out only the loud stuff. I was wondering what y'all think of such things. Here are a couple that I have been looking at.

Better
    http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pi...ring_Protector

Cheaper
    http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product...cat=224&page=1

Posted On:
    8/14/2010 5:53pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My personal take on that kind of hearing protection, which I've seen written as "active hearing protection" in some places, is that the noise reduction rating doesn't seem to be much higher for them than it is for passive earmuffs.

The passive earmuffs I use were made by Peltor for MidwayUSA and have an NRR of 30. They work very well, are comfortable, and I even like the color...did I mention they were $17? If I ever need better hearing protection, I can just use some of those crushable ear plugs with these earmuffs over them.

I know this doesn't directly answer you question, but I figure most any relevant information can factor into a decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken View Post
    cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko
    But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

What is instead happening is thus:
    1. Your argument is bullshit.
    2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
    3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2010 3:11am

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i wearhttp://www.tacticalcommandstore.com/...rotection.aspx
    these with the replacement gel inserts. there pricy but the ability to hear and comfort with them on is worth it in my opinion.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    8/17/2010 7:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem I have with earmuffs is that I don't get a good seal around my ears due to my safety glasses so I usually wear cheap (disposable) earplugs. Of course, I usually bury those so deep that you've got to yell right in my ear if you want to talk.

So uh, yeah don't know what to tell ya, lol.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2010 1:40am

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I don't know if I really need to spend the big bucks on something like mad malk is talking about or if the ryobi ones rated at 25 db are good enough. I have some passive ones right now, but it is nice to have an extra pair to loan out.

Also, I imagine hooking them up to music while I am shooting would be pretty awesome.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2010 3:33am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use these all the time for hunting, makes a big difference in my opinion. I have no idea of the make, I bought several sets years ago at a game fair.

Being able to hear what is going on around you is very helpful, from birds to hare running on frozen ground etc.

Better noise reduction then disposables for shotgun (12 bore) and long rifle (.243).

The style of shotgun shooting in the UK involves pretty aggressive gun movement onto the target i.e. a flying bird. Balance is certainly affected by hearing protection, which is why so many people don’t wear any in the UK "it feels strange". When you use these types of electronic mufflers you don't get this.

As for stalking, it’s a god send. In dawn and dusk conditions with a spotter it’s a ball-ache having to pull out ear-plugs/mufflers every time you want to talk. Also being able to hear the game is a must, especially in woody conditions (the set I have amplify sound quite a lot).

The downside I found it they are quite fragile, and if one of the receivers gets crushed or the foam start coming apart (leading to wind noise) it can become an absolute nightmare.

The balance issue comes back (only one side working) and you can start to get squelching and squeaking.

If you get them be gentle, no throwing it in the back of the UT with muddy boots, carcasses and dogs.

We are not allowed handguns here and I almost exclusively hunt so I can’t comment on “range/target” shooting practicality.

Also I wear safety glasses and a cap, no complaints.

EDIT: they cost me about 40 each....