Posted On:
    2/26/2004 12:16pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Florida Panhandle Throwdown?

Copied from "ha ha ha....aikido videos" thread:

"I have been thinking about this very thing for the last couple of weeks. I would personally love to do a throwdown as I love a challenge, love martial arts, love to learn new things, and I would love to prove aikido's efficacy. But there are a few problems. First off, even though I've been training on and off for a few years I'm only a fifth kyu (testing is not a high priority for me) so any black belt in any art worth his weight in beans can probably woop my ass, not that I wouldn't go down fighting. The big problem is that the whole notion of a throwdown is against the ideals of aikido. An aikidoka does not fight to prove his skill, show his strength or booster his ego. An aikidoka uses aikido as a last resort which is why there is NOT a lot of video evidence to prove that aikido works. If I were really a good aikidoka I would just dismiss this notion altogether. The other problem lies in the application of technique. If I fight somebody and they hurt me then my aikido sucks. If I fight somebody and I hurt them then my aikido sucks. It's a no-win situation for me. If my sensei were to find out that I did this I could be kicked out of my dojo. If I injured somebody while fighting them then I would feel really really bad. And even if say a fight is filmed and I beat somebody does that really prove to the nay-sayers that aikido can work? NO. And if I am beaten does that mean that aikido sucks? NO.

But even after all of these good reasons not to do it, I still do! I love a challenge and I love to learn. I just keep hope that there are good things that come out of a throwdown. I would hope that people would leave saying: "wow, I never knew that about aikido, it's not as bad as I thought" or "that's a cool way of doing that, it's really unique" So I would just hope that the people from this site that would attend such a throwdown would have the maturity and open-mindedness to really make their own educated opinions and learn something new. That being said, I don't have a place to host such an event. My aikido dojo for said reasons above would be out of the question. My karate dojo in Panama City would probably work but we don't have any mats. I do suppose that my karate instructor may help me in this regard but that's supposing a lot. Is anybody coming to Panama City for Spring Break? Would anybody be interested in doing a throwdown down here? Is anybody else interested in hosting a throwdown around here? I will be in Orlando for a few days in the middle of July for vacation if anybody around there might be interested."
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

The REAL thread killer

Posted On:
    2/26/2004 9:28pm

Style: World 10-3 Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seems like all the Floridians here are dispersed all over the shlong of America. I think we should definitely try to all meet in Central Florida some time after our own regional Throwdowns.
    "The longer I live the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains that I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time."

-- George Bernard Shaw

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    2/28/2004 4:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OR you could not be such a fucking *****.
    This is why people don't like Aikidoka...so damn wussy...
    "What if I fight and hurt them..."blah blah...
    That is chance with any art that isn't ballet.
    **** happens.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2004 5:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Te No KAge,

You say your sensei would kick you out of your dojo if he found out about you sparring ppl from other schools?? That's amazing. You have to ask yourself, "do I want to learn martial arts or a BS pseudo-religion?". Seriously, that forbidden sparring crap is nonsense. If you like aikido, find a tomiki-style dojo and quit that place you attend now, for fucks sake.

Chemist

Posted On:
    2/28/2004 5:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    there isn't tomiki-style remotely close to here, my dojo has it's good and bad but I think the good outweighs the bad, regardless I don't think tomiki-style would even condone sparring across martial arts
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2004 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Te no Kage,

I've heard aikikai doesn't spar at all, even amongst themselves. Is this true of your dojo? If so, are you okay with that?

Chemist

Posted On:
    2/28/2004 5:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's true, we can try to give realistic attacks but no all out sparring. I'm OK in that I don't get my arm broken everyday, I do push to get more realism but that's all I can do. That's why I do karate, so that I can get to do stuff that I don't get in aikido

Chemist

Posted On:
    2/28/2004 5:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Osiris
    Why is it that aikidoka arent allowed to show off in realistic situations, but they can make all the corny ass demos they want?
    I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but the only reasons I guess is that 1) it's against the ideals of aikido (rivalry is bad) and 2) there's too much risk for somebody getting injured. I know that sounds lame to some of you out there but it is what it is

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    2/29/2004 12:10am

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being realistic is not competition.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    2/29/2004 12:55am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't fool me pal; I've seen aikido classes. They're insanely competitive. If they aren't arguing about who wears the wickedest hakama, they're trying to trick each other into referring to Ueshiba as something other than O-Sensei.

The winner gets to dust O-Sensei's photo and wear the communal Yin-Yang medallion for a week.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast