Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 12:51pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You did very well-- but your competition also sucked. Weak guards and clueless about what to do once mounted.

Ever since I started cross-training Judo, my eyes bleed watching BJJ standup. Do Judo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 6:37pm

Style: JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    You did very well-- but your competition also sucked. Weak guards and clueless about what to do once mounted.

Ever since I started cross-training Judo, my eyes bleed watching BJJ standup. Do Judo.

LOL. I know what you mean. Our instructor is in Thailand Training/fighting 'till end of Sept, and our guest instructor has been drilling the takedowns hardcore for the last couple of weeks so we annihilate the opponents it the September tourny:qtank:

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 6:56pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MorningLemon View Post
    Also, do you ever have the problem where you think you look super cool doing something in real life and then see the video and realize you kinda don't look that awesome?
    Well, after seeing your videos I was going to try to disagree with you, but it's really hard to. You do have the appearance of a huge crane tying up, and you look like one of those glass bobbing birds when you are in guard.

Yet you do have a decent knee-in reaction in guard passing, although it's really difficult to tell there when your opponents have the guard of a wet paper sack.

You apparantly can finish a triangle, although I cringe seeing you pulling on your toes like that - do it right or when you try on a bigger guy you might get hurt.

Peter de Been BJJ Gi Comp? Never heard of it. I guess it's not exactly GQ or the Pan Ams. What, like 30 competitors total? But hey, it's good you're competing, capturing video, and taking criticism. And congrats for winning.

Now stop talking like a white belt with all the passing guard like hot butter talk. I didn't see a guard in any of the 3 videos. A guard is where someone like actually knows how to move their hips.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 7:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy View Post
    Well, after seeing your videos I was going to try to disagree with you, but it's really hard to. You do have the appearance of a huge crane tying up, and you look like one of those glass bobbing birds when you are in guard.

Yet you do have a decent knee-in reaction in guard passing, although it's really difficult to tell there when your opponents have the guard of a wet paper sack.

You apparantly can finish a triangle, although I cringe seeing you pulling on your toes like that - do it right or when you try on a bigger guy you might get hurt.

Peter de Been BJJ Gi Comp? Never heard of it. I guess it's not exactly GQ or the Pan Ams. What, like 30 competitors total? But hey, it's good you're competing, capturing video, and taking criticism. And congrats for winning.

Now stop talking like a white belt with all the passing guard like hot butter talk. I didn't see a guard in any of the 3 videos. A guard is where someone like actually knows how to move their hips.
    thanks for the criticism and I shall try to refrain from jokes about hot butter, but I couldn't help it when NONE of the competitors could hold a guard. I should have taped the blue belts because even they couldn't.

Also, Peter de Been is one of the big names in BJJ down under, the other (bigger) name is John Will (Will/Machado BJJ), I think the comp had around 50 competitors.

And I have rectified my triangle tightening.

I don't really know how to avoid looking like this:

Posted On:
    8/17/2010 1:51am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good ol John Will :) been to a few of his seminars, I ALWAYS come away with something awesome to add to my game!

Posted On:
    8/17/2010 10:02am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MorningLemon View Post
    but I couldn't help it when NONE of the competitors could hold a guard. I should have taped the blue belts because even they couldn't.
    Yep. Totally not your fault there.
    Also, Peter de Been is one of the big names in BJJ down under, the other (bigger) name is John Will (Will/Machado BJJ), I think the comp had around 50 competitors.
    Good to know. I don't know much about the tournament circuit down under. A lot of our state tournaments here draw 250 or so competitors. A couple state tournaments like Gustavo Dantas in AZ are starting to draw like 500-600. So I guess keep competing and working up to larger tournaments? Maybe John Will's are larger? He's like a Rigan Machado BB, right? Rigan was just here for a 3 day seminar last weekend, so that was pretty cool. He worked everyone hard.

Anyway, keep training and competing - good stuff, dude.

Oh, on all the bird comments - I know it's standard teaching to do the chin up thing posturing in guard - but you don't really need to overemphasize all that. In standup exchanges with good judo throws you don't want to be a hunchback, but have the spine a little more aligned. Now when you're doing no-gi and are in a collar tie position that's different.
    Last edited by chingythingy; 8/17/2010 10:09am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/18/2010 6:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chingythingy View Post
    Yep. Totally not your fault there.

Good to know. I don't know much about the tournament circuit down under. A lot of our state tournaments here draw 250 or so competitors. A couple state tournaments like Gustavo Dantas in AZ are starting to draw like 500-600. So I guess keep competing and working up to larger tournaments? Maybe John Will's are larger? He's like a Rigan Machado BB, right? Rigan was just here for a 3 day seminar last weekend, so that was pretty cool. He worked everyone hard.

Anyway, keep training and competing - good stuff, dude.

Oh, on all the bird comments - I know it's standard teaching to do the chin up thing posturing in guard - but you don't really need to overemphasize all that. In standup exchanges with good judo throws you don't want to be a hunchback, but have the spine a little more aligned. Now when you're doing no-gi and are in a collar tie position that's different.

John will is a member of the 'Dirty Dozen' (first 12 non-brazilians to get a black belt) and a BB under Rigan Machado. The will/machado comp is big (competitors from se asia and NZ as well) and Rigan comes down every year and teaches seminars and watches the comp. I think the biggest, though, is the Pan Pacifics in Nov. Also, I was chatting to some of the NAGA guys and they may be coming down next year to set something up, so hopefully that will add more people to the tournament circuit.

Thanks for the tips everyone!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12