Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/13/2010 9:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sager's World of Martial Arts - Highland, NY

No website beyond the Facebook page run by one of the blue belts. I found my way to their location because I've been shown the place, but I have no idea what the address is--it's not posted anywhere that I can see. I train in the area and haven't heard much of their guys, but apparently they compete. I went to one BJJ class and am basing my ratings on the whole school from my impressions; I could be totally off-base on some of these points.

I think the adult student base is less than 20. I am not sure of the instructor's credentials, but his students said he's a Renzo purple or brown? Similarly, it's unclear what his striking credentials are, but I didn't get the chance to ask. He stayed in his street clothes while running class.

The training space is large, but equipment is worn and the mats are a little mismatched.

Class started with a standing bow (not sure which tradition this is from--TSD?), then we did some fairly standard rolls, falls, cartwheels and wrestling shots.

We drilled singles and doubles, then guillotines from same. The instructor assumed that we knew the techniques. We learned no-gi tomoenage, then a butterfly/guillotine sweep off the double to a mounted guillotine. Then we learned to defend the americana (which they called a Kimura) by swinging the attacked arm up and snaking your head in between their arms then bridging. Finally, a blue belt showed the class a Peruvian necktie off a double. I drilled these techniques with the blue belt and a relative beginner.

We did three 4-minute rounds of rolling and then bowed out. During rolling their blue belts definitely demonstrated that they are better than me (a BJJ 4-stripe white belt and judo nikyu), but not wildly so. I didn't see any purples or higher and didn't get to roll with the instructor.

Schedule:
    Level 1 kickboxing on Tuesday and Thursday 6-7pm
    Jiujitsu classes Tues/Thurs 8-930 and Sat 1-3
    Open mat for kickboxing/bjj Thursdays 8-10
    TSD ("Karate") classes MWF, not sure of the time.

All in all, I got the impression that it's a very small, casually run place with a few guys who have some skill. I have not been back.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    7/30/2014 11:23am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    No website beyond the Facebook page run by one of the blue belts. I found my way to their location because I've been shown the place, but I have no idea what the address is--it's not posted anywhere that I can see. I train in the area and haven't heard much of their guys, but apparently they compete. I went to one BJJ class and am basing my ratings on the whole school from my impressions; I could be totally off-base on some of these points.

I think the adult student base is less than 20. I am not sure of the instructor's credentials, but his students said he's a Renzo purple or brown? Similarly, it's unclear what his striking credentials are, but I didn't get the chance to ask. He stayed in his street clothes while running class.

The training space is large, but equipment is worn and the mats are a little mismatched.

Class started with a standing bow (not sure which tradition this is from--TSD?), then we did some fairly standard rolls, falls, cartwheels and wrestling shots.

We drilled singles and doubles, then guillotines from same. The instructor assumed that we knew the techniques. We learned no-gi tomoenage, then a butterfly/guillotine sweep off the double to a mounted guillotine. Then we learned to defend the americana (which they called a Kimura) by swinging the attacked arm up and snaking your head in between their arms then bridging. Finally, a blue belt showed the class a Peruvian necktie off a double. I drilled these techniques with the blue belt and a relative beginner.

We did three 4-minute rounds of rolling and then bowed out. During rolling their blue belts definitely demonstrated that they are better than me (a BJJ 4-stripe white belt and judo nikyu), but not wildly so. I didn't see any purples or higher and didn't get to roll with the instructor.

Schedule:
    Level 1 kickboxing on Tuesday and Thursday 6-7pm
    Jiujitsu classes Tues/Thurs 8-930 and Sat 1-3
    Open mat for kickboxing/bjj Thursdays 8-10
    TSD ("Karate") classes MWF, not sure of the time.

All in all, I got the impression that it's a very small, casually run place with a few guys who have some skill. I have not been back.
    I trained under Michael Sager years ago and I am no longer affilated with the school. With that being said I can attest that the school is a great place to train. Mike is a really nice guy and trains his students hard but nurtures them on an individual basis as he knows everyone is different. His rankings are tough, you have to prove yourself a lot to go up in rank.

I remember one instance in particular a multi stripe white belt was going to be moved up that night to blue, (he didn't know it yet). For 2 hours he had to roll with everyone in the school non-stop, at the end the guy could barely move, he impressed the heck out of everyone. Anyways, at the closing of the class he earned his blue and everyone was really happy for him, he earned that crap out of it.

Mike trains under Henzo down in the Bronx and has his brown belt under him. He is a fantastic BJJ instructor. He is also one of the best strikers I have ever seen in my life. Sparring with him and getting tagged can sometimes make you forget what your name is. He has trained in numerous martial arts and also trained under Tony Simpson (Tony was the trainer for the NYS prison riot Squad if I recall correctly).

People who read this are probably going to think I'm part of the school or something, I'm not anymore, not because of anything bad or anything like that, I just didn't have time anymore.

My experience training with Mike was a great one, I really miss it. Anyways, long story short, anyone who trains there will get fantastic training in a really good atmosphere.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/30/2014 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    My experience training with Mike was a great one, I really miss it. Anyways, long story short, anyone who trains there will get fantastic training in a really good atmosphere.
    Thanks for vouching for Mr. Sager; give us an introduction, tell us a little about yourself and your background.

Posted On:
    7/31/2014 9:03am

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Thanks for vouching for Mr. Sager; give us an introduction, tell us a little about yourself and your background.
    Sure, glad to. My name is Jonathan (no last name use on the web, hope you understand).

I started training in Martial Arts when I was about 4, my Dad has some experience with boxing and Judo in the Navy, so he started teaching me young. I entered Chung Ma's Tae Kwon Do school when I was about 8 Years old, got my black belt when I was 12. I know it's a joke for a 12 year to have a black belt and TKD provides some good basis for kicking but other than that it's worthless in a street fight, I learned that one the hard way when I was a kid.

Anyways, I became very bored with TKD, I knew there had to be something else I could learn that was better. When I was 16 I joined this gym in Poughkeepsie, NY. And Mike Sager was one of the trainers there and he and I talked alot and he was just starting his school up inside the gym.

At the time he did not tag a name to his style, it was just self-defense, really brutal take out stuff that was super useful in hand to hand situations, it was an entirely new world for me. Striking, trapping, locks, weapons (knife,stick), redirection, it was awesome. I was one of his first students, at the time he only had two ranks, junior and senior students.

When I was 21 I got married and moved down to Florida in Jacksonville and started training under Kru Tom Burke for Muay Thai for about a year, very nice man, and a good trainer.

I moved back to NYS and couldn't find Mike at that time so I started training at NYMAG in Poughkeepsie for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, horrible place to train, I got the only injury I had to have surgery for there. They also liked to talk smack about other schools, which is good because it led me back to Mike. One night I overheard them talking crap about him and his school and was able to find out where he was. This was before my injury, after I healed up from surgery in about a year I looked Mike up and started trainging with him again for several years.

I had to stop training when I found out I had arthritis in my elbows, I couldn't take the impact on my joints anymore and had to quit training. But, that school is like family to me, great bunch of guys and gals and they have a ton of fun while they train.