Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2010 6:09am

Style: bitchin' and whinin'

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
    "I'm giving you a special grading that will test you physically emotionally and spiritually"
    ...and now I can't get the image out of my head, thanks madmonkey!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2010 6:29am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was making a big post to counter all the words that madmonkey wrote, and I've just realised he counters most of the pros with the cons so there would be little point in me doing this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2010 9:46am

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
    The reason I left it was due to the fact that they were closed minded and didn't train with much resistance...
    That's what makes a huge difference. Without realistic pressure and resistance, there's not going to be an ability to apply those techniques FOR REAL. That equals people wasting time and money to become fantasy warriors. NOT COOL with me. Now, if it's taught that "hey, this won't make you able to defend against anyone with the intent to hurt you, but it sure is fun" that's one thing, but I doubt that's the case.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/15/2010 10:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Fleeing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I see kids in my classes wearing Jitsu tops it's hard not to stop teaching physics and start doing armbars. I guess the critical thinking they're supposed to learn at uni hasn't filtered into their daily life yet.

Posted On:
    8/15/2010 12:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoA View Post
    "Jitsu" - a way of life.

You see, the bureaucratic way universities are run means that if there is a TJF club there, then there is already a "Jitsu" club and you won't be able to set up a club. They don't seem to differentiate between styles, though some places they make exceptions for karate. Oh, and chances are there is a TJF club there because they're everywhere.

I didn't read the whole thread so I'm not sure if anyone suggested this but couldn't you set up a "submission grappling" club? Then you would not be stepping on any jitsu toe.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    8/15/2010 2:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    I didn't read the whole thread so I'm not sure if anyone suggested this but couldn't you set up a "submission grappling" club? Then you would not be stepping on any jitsu toe.
    Might you also be able to get away with a 'jutsu'?

WRT to sex for belts, a guy I used to know (well, more 'talk to occasionally') was once putting it about that some chick in his krotty class had been promoted to green belt over him - just because she had been screwing sensei. May not have even been true (no idea) - but that's just one example of the sort of rumour that people can and probably will spread around town if it's discovered that a MA teacher is dating (or simply fucking) one of his students.

That said, I suppose that anyone could flat-out fabricate that **** anyway - about anyone, if they were so inclined.

Posted On:
    8/15/2010 3:56pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No the OP could not get away with anything to get a club started I know this from experience, as I had a university club that was very succesful. I was lucky enough because before martial arts became hot **** one could do that... in our club we had an open door policy for all styles BTW.

So what happened? well some years ago these clubs decided that there was a way to go to faculty and get a spot. The very first thing they did after this was to make sure nobody else could. Its horrible bullshit but I notice that it is international in scope. Of course the administration does not know Ju Jitsu from shanalga so whomever is first becomes legitimate.

Students should be allowed to have training groups and to set up a club and clubs should appeal to demand. But it does not work that way. And... the smart guys realized the legitimacy that comes with being part of the university.

I had that experience at the University of Toronto and ironickly enough it was the Judo crowd. But to their credit students organized a free for all training session for martial artists on campus.

Guys look at it this way: You are on a site that promotes transparency and critical thinking in the arts. Take this to your colleges and DEMAND an open policy regarding martial arts clubs on campus... DO It!!! some of us old timers did it and its your turn.... in my club at Snt Mary's we had all styles together fighting daily. Any grappler would have been welcome to join us if they were so inclined and I would have personally arrainged for them to have a time to teach. You can make a difference.

I was considered the head instructor because of my rank but more importantly because of my fighting ability and my ability to train others to win at tourneys.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Posted On:
    8/15/2010 4:24pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How about a "Brazillian culture group"? You may have to throw in some Capoiera but that would do it. You could accuse them of cultural insensitivity if they refused.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    8/15/2010 4:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My suggestion was going to be a NHB deathmatch (on concrete) to decide who is the 'real deal' and gets exclusive rights to run a MA club at the university. But then I realized that this was a really bad idea, as it could set a precedent (thin end of the wedge and all that), which could lead to that sort of thing happening at unis all over the country, which would inevitably result in the university scene being divided up almost exclusively between Wing Chun, Wing Tsun, Ving Chun and Ving Tsun - and no sane man could possibly want that.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    8/15/2010 4:31pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    How about a "Brazillian culture group"? You may have to throw in some Capoiera but that would do it. You could accuse them of cultural insensitivity if they refused.
    Yeah, but that sort of thing could attract people who want to wax their groinal areas (all well and good until fat people turn up). Or do sambo dancing (again, fine until fat people turn up).
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast