Posted On:
    8/14/2010 5:44am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just spat coffee all over my monitor.

This is the event http://www.jitsufoundation.org/JuJit...dori_nationals

Nothing to do with BJF/Scottish Judo, which is where the Olympians like to hang out.

Posted On:
    8/14/2010 5:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh so when he said
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoA View Post
    They do randori for the Judo nationals, which as the name shows, is just a judo competition. The randori will normally be done a couple of weeks before the judo nationals, and pretty much no other time. If you want to be good at judo, do judo! But if you want to win a street fight teh deadly...
    He actually meant something that looks like judo but is actually nothing at all like it?

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    8/14/2010 5:59am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll have to let him speak for himself, but I know that the jitsu guys have two nationals. One is a sports jujitsu kind of one and the other is a judo kind of one. They get called the atemi nationals and the randori nationals, but those are kind of stupid names for several reasons.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2010 7:38am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Oh so when he said

He actually meant something that looks like judo but is actually nothing at all like it?
    When I last did it, the Randori nationals were called the Judo nationals. Consists of a morning of training, whether jitsu or some groundwork relevant to the competition. Last minute training really doesn't help much.

There are various little events I remember, the lower grades do some basic back to back, stay on the ground (gatamae-waza), no locks/chokes allowed. Then as you go up the grades it goes to locks allowed, chokes allowed.

Then you have the standing competition, nage-waza. If I remember correctly it's the guy who throws the other guy cleanly wins.

The open competition is where anyone can enter, and is normally a chance for black belts to show off their elite skills. Starts standing, and you have to throw the other guy cleanly (as in he doesn't drag your ass down with him). If you end up both falling over (this is pretty much what happens) then it becomes a groundfight where submissions are the way forwards. This is from memory I haven't done this for years, after I went for the first time I thought it was kind of pointless.

If you're good at judo you will dominate this competition. Most of the black belts train in other martial arts now, this confuses me because they rate Jitsu so much and then decide to train Judo and BJJ as well. Why not just do those two in the first place?

The atemi nationals are basically doing gauntlets, Vs and circles and then you're judged by how well you did. There are many videos like this on youtube:

YouTube- Mary Bishop Nationals V

People really go to see the black belts in action because the rest of the time in lessons they just give people push ups. Afterwards in the pubs they'll hit on the lower grades.
    Last edited by JudoA; 8/14/2010 7:41am at . Reason: addition

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    8/14/2010 8:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The atemi nationals are basically doing gauntlets, Vs and circles and then you're judged by how well you did. There are many videos like this on youtube:

YouTube- Mary Bishop Nationals V
    What happened with the guy on the right with the stick at 0:10-ish onwards? He's like "Yeah! Gonna whap her good with my stick when her back's turned! Actually, na - **** it... Never mind".

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2010 8:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    What happened with the guy on the right with the stick at 0:10-ish onwards? He's like "Yeah! Gonna whap her good with my stick when her back's turned! Actually, na - **** it... Never mind".
    He got lightly pinged in the side of the head.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    8/14/2010 8:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He got lightly pinged in the side of the head.
    What with? A ninja star?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2010 8:48am

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just lost it when the dude with the stick just walked off and let her go at the other dude with a stick. LOLtastic. I love how she also stayed in the same spot throughout this whole ordeal too... like at the end of a real confrontation she's going to be on top of a pool of bodies like the Wolverine #1 cover.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2010 9:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    What with? A ninja star?
    DANGEROUS PARTS ON THE HEAD #1

Quote Originally Posted by nomamao View Post
    I just lost it when the dude with the stick just walked off and let her go at the other dude with a stick. LOLtastic. I love how she also stayed in the same spot throughout this whole ordeal too... like at the end of a real confrontation she's going to be on top of a pool of bodies like the Wolverine #1 cover.
    Yeah a Jitsu V is a V-shape (duh), where the guy in the point of the V sends attackers out one after another and you basically stay in the same spot (but remember your footwork!:suicide:) and beat the guys/girls who come at you using technique as opposed to the ineffective brute force of other less sophisticated martial arts.

A circle is the same kinda thing but you stand in the middle of a circle (duh) and the only people that can attack you are ones kind of in front of you.

A gauntlet is two lines of people, and you walk through the middle of them. Anyone could jump out and attack you! But only in front of you.YOU MUST DEFEAT THEM.

Also don't forget those disarms! They're very important. There was an interesting debate on a forum where they discussed whether it was worth doing disarms.

I always found it curious how many weapons were in gradings, if you're meant to run the hell away from weapons, why train for them so often? Why did the high grade session I used to go to always finish with a two man knife attack, why was this regarded as the most important part of a brown belt grading when statistically the chances of you surviving are non-existant?*

Sorry, I shouldn't be the one asking the questions...

*Unless you kick them in the knee cap of course :)

EDIT2: I'm trying to look for the Jitsu Foundation syllabus but can't find it. Seems to have been taken down :-/

In the mean time, self-defence for wimmins:
    http://www.archwayjitsu.com/selfdefence.htm
    Last edited by JudoA; 8/14/2010 9:26am at . Reason: Missed a (ninja) star *, Additional material

Posted On:
    8/14/2010 9:39am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those 'V' tests are both the best and worst things I have ever seen since joining Bullshido. They're cripplingly funny but also genuinely chilling that people think that **** like that could save thier lives.
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast