You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    8/13/2010 5:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    Let me ask you, did they have any randori or free grappling at all? I honestly don't have a problem with traditional jiu jitsu as long as they are clear up front what what they are teaching and have SOME resistance training.
    Yes they randori, but only once in a blue moon. An TJF instructor was at my old judo club a while back and had his ass handed to him by a competent orange belt. He didn't have a clue.

Also when they say "traditional" jujitsu, it's actually something that was invented in the 60's when some guys decided to add striking to judo and take out the element of competition.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/13/2010 5:50pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm actually pretty surprised that they even train for judo comps ever.

Posted On:
    8/13/2010 5:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra View Post
    I'm actually pretty surprised that they even train for judo comps ever.
    I think they're their own special judo comps.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2010 5:55pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Yes they randori, but only once in a blue moon. An TJF instructor was at my old judo club a while back and had his ass handed to him by a competent orange belt. He didn't have a clue.

Also when they say "traditional" jujitsu, it's actually something that was invented in the 60's when some guys decided to add striking to judo and take out the element of competition.
    Yes it came from Judo. They should have just stuck with judo to be honest, judo is awesome it doesn't really need anything added.

TJF people frequently refer to Judo as "Jitsu with the nasty bits taken out". The dreaded dangerous parts! Break someones arm whilst they hold it out perfectly straight for you. This has saved my life on many an occasion.*

*I'm lying.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/13/2010 6:16pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoA View Post
    TJF people frequently refer to Judo as "Jitsu with the nasty bits taken out". The dreaded dangerous parts! Break someones arm whilst they hold it out perfectly straight for you. This has saved my life on many an occasion.*

*I'm lying.
    The "nasty bits" must mean randori.

Posted On:
    8/13/2010 10:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Woah, you were very lucky! On the other hand you would have become an expert at throwing yourself all over the place.

"We progressively bring in resistance at higher levels" - TJF

Sadly, just not true. They do randori for the Judo nationals, which as the name shows, is just a judo competition. The randori will normally be done a couple of weeks before the judo nationals, and pretty much no other time. If you want to be good at judo, do judo! But if you want to win a street fight teh deadly...

Over the years more and more people took up judo to win the judo nationals. Which was more helpful than any of the jitsu taught. You might also be told that the whole thing is "just a bit of fun", but the amount of times I've overheard people saying how they were "psyching their opponent's out" the night before and **** is just terrible. It's not even that respectable of a competition to be honest. It's supposedly all about the drinking anyway :D

When practicing randori you can really annoy higher grades if you look so much like you're beating them, I managed to piss a brown belt *right* off when I beat him with some crappy lock I kinda made up on the spot (which had pretty much nothing to do with any of the jitsu I'd learned). Contrast with say, a BJJ club, or at least the one I used to train at, where even if I got stomped (and I did, trust me) I'd learn something, be given some constructive criticism, regardless of who the person I was rolling with was. I like BJJ :)
    Don't people have to qualify for nationals in your country?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2010 4:47am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Don't people have to qualify for nationals in your country?
    What do you mean exactly? You just say whether you're going when the instructor asks you and that's it. You go into the category with other supposedly equally skilled people - they're grouped by Judo/Jitsu grade, whichever is highest. Pro-tip: the judo grade is much more useful.

Any ex-TJF here almost fail a grading because they were too "awkward" to throw? It's difficult to make it easy for a young woman to throw you TJF style at the best of times, when you weigh 14 stone it's certainly challenging.

Posted On:
    8/14/2010 5:39am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you mean exactly? You just say whether you're going when the instructor asks you and that's it. You go into the category with other supposedly equally skilled people - they're grouped by Judo/Jitsu grade, whichever is highest. Pro-tip: the judo grade is much more useful.

Any ex-TJF here almost fail a grading because they were too "awkward" to throw? It's difficult to make it easy for a young woman to throw you TJF style at the best of times, when you weigh 14 stone it's certainly challenging.
    I mean can anyone who feels like it go to nationals? Don't you have to prove your worth by winning or placing highly in a lower level competition, like whatever you equivalent of provincials is?
    I find it hard to believe they'd let some scrub who just spent a month doing judo randori as a break from his jjj non sparring onto the same mat with people who are gunning for the olympics.

Posted On:
    8/14/2010 5:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    I find it hard to believe they'd let some scrub who just spent a month doing judo randori as a break from his jjj non sparring onto the same mat with people who are gunning for the olympics.
    Who's gunning for the Olympics now?

Posted On:
    8/14/2010 5:42am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I assume anyone who wins at judo nationals would be.
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast