/ thread.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    11/15/2011 11:11am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 22lazy View Post
    Thirdly, things about useless techniques, yes there are some techniques that would be useless for most people. But then most people admit most of the moves after green belt are not your weapons of choice for real life. They are just done mostly for show so that people still have something to learn.
    I.e. a waste of time that could be spent practicing useful techniques, in your best-case scenario of someone who acknowledges the uselessness of the poor technique. Besides, what’s their problem with keeping people interested in effective techniques? Boxing manages to retain practitioners with a famously small repertoire of techniques. Somehow, it seems they don’t ever end up thinking that they’ve exhausted all training possibilities with the jab.

Also, not every throw is useful for every person. Due to height, weight etc you wouldn't feel comfortable using every technique. You have to learn it just so you can show it to someone else. I am quite sure that's the same in Judo and BJJ as well.
    Yes, but in BJJ moves that are presented as “this isn’t for me” tend to be suffixed with “but it actually works in sparring for some people”.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Posted On:
    1/28/2012 1:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to wake up this thread.

I went to Jitsu for about a month and can't decide if I like it or not. Sure, if I wanted to become a mean fighter I'd do MMA, Judo, MT or Boxing, but the fact is that I have a life and I care about my health and my looks. In other words I don't want a broken nose, cauliflower ears, shins busted into mush, varicose veins and blood clots. Surely, it could make me a better fighter but to say that it's better to do nothing than to do Jitsu is just plain stupid. As long as it provides you with decent physical exercise, shows you a bit how the human body works and the ways how you can bend it to gain advantage, you then have slightly higher chances in the streets. And maybe you won't be crippled by the time you reach the age of 50.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    1/28/2012 1:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon88 View Post
    I'm going to wake up this thread.

I went to Jitsu for about a month and can't decide if I like it or not. Sure, if I wanted to become a mean fighter I'd do MMA, Judo, MT or Boxing, but the fact is that I have a life and I care about my health and my looks. In other words I don't want a broken nose, cauliflower ears, shins busted into mush, varicose veins and blood clots. Surely, it could make me a better fighter but to say that it's better to do nothing than to do Jitsu is just plain stupid. As long as it provides you with decent physical exercise, shows you a bit how the human body works and the ways how you can bend it to gain advantage, you then have slightly higher chances in the streets. And maybe you won't be crippled by the time you reach the age of 50.
    I'm going to post like you.

I've been banging a blowup doll for about a month and can't decide whether I like it or not.
    Sure if I'd wanted real sex I suppose I could go out and meet women.
    But im not sure if im up for the rejection and willing to spend money and effort.
    It's plain stupid, why bang a real life woman when you can fool around with a plastic doll?
    It shows a bit how the female body works, and maybe you won't be bitter and divorced at age 50.

see?
    you sorta have a point yet you're still a dumbass.

Posted On:
    1/28/2012 1:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lebell View Post
    I'm going to post like you.

I've been banging a blowup doll for about a month and can't decide whether I like it or not.
    Sure if I'd wanted real sex I suppose I could go out and meet women.
    But im not sure if im up for the rejection and willing to spend money and effort.
    It's plain stupid, why bang a real life woman when you can fool around with a plastic doll?
    It shows a bit how the female body works, and maybe you won't be bitter and divorced at age 50.

see?
    you sorta have a point yet you're still a dumbass.
    Tough luck. Maybe you should read The Game by Neil Strauss. Would give you some confidence to go out and talk to real women. Or come to one of the TFJ socials?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2012 2:08pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tough luck. Maybe you should read The Game by Neil Strauss. Would give you some confidence to go out and talk to real women. Or come to one of the TFJ socials?
    Hahahaha you mispelt TJF

Posted On:
    1/28/2012 3:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Fitsu Joundation? Seriously man, I've read all this thread. You got some valid points. Still there is some reason the whole thing attracts me. Why oh why?

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    1/28/2012 3:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is what happens when siblings marry.

Posted On:
    1/28/2012 3:16pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jitsu looks to me like what I imagine aikido would have become if it wasn't lucky enough to have been invented by a Japanese Jesus.

All of the hocum, none of the charm.

Plus, I've yet to see a photo of a hot tjf chick. Their equivalent of an Aiki-babe seems to be an open minded guy that can take his teeth out.

If you want to larp (and I do), do aikido. It comes with the whole esotericism, funky costumes, and sturdy lineage. If you want your aikido to look less lothlorien, do judo. At least it'll work.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2012 3:41pm

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Surely, it could make me a better fighter but to say that it's better to do nothing than to do Jitsu is just plain stupid. As long as it provides you with decent physical exercise, shows you a bit how the human body works and the ways how you can bend it to gain advantage, you then have slightly higher chances in the streets. ,,,
    I'm not sure if this is wrong enough to be called a falicy, but it's close. Check out the current WTF thread for responses to a similar idea (link).

The priorities in self defense are:

prepare yourself by learning and maintaining relevent skills for the other priorities
    don't get into dangerous situations
    if you see a situation becoming dangerous, avoid it and leave
    if you failed to avoid, evade and leave
    if you failed to evade, escape
    if you failed in your initial escape, survive change the situation so you can escape
    renormalise (address physical, emotional, legal consequences of your escape)

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Heres a few reasons I don't buy into you postion that it's necessarily better than nothing:

The nature of training is to alter your reflexes and body condition. It is very possible that a your new reflexes and body condition will be less competant martially than your condition before training in TJF (or any system for that matter).
    There's an implied assumtion that if you do get into a violent encounter your opponent will have no experience in violence. This is dangerous.
    The line of thinking that you can train for self defence without pressure testing is a line often brought up by those who are least able to defend themselves (I don't know about the quality of TJF, just going on your statement and what I've read of the thread).

Running or rugby would be better for self defence than martial arts that do not produce provable skill against resisting opponents (I include aikido in this before anyone starts talking about pots and kettles).