Sponsored Links Spacer Image

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 5:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My old judo club had a thing called Drink to Dan, but I'm not supposed to talk about it publicly, lest someone start thinking of the children.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 5:37pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JudoA View Post
    Agreed, if you've done proper exercise you won't be able to drink much. After doing 2 hours of BJJ here including half hour of rolling, I'm pretty exhausted. I used to train TJF for up to four and a half hours at a time and didn't feel as tired.
    Hahahaha that's funny. Some people can others can't. Yes, that includes proper exercise.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 5:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Hahahaha that's funny. Some people can others can't. Yes, that includes proper exercise.
    I used to be able to do it in my early twenties, show up with a hangover and still do 2 hours of heavy training.
    dont ask me how.
    i also found that when i was able to really hit town after a trainingsession a fair amount of beers (im not talking totally shitfaced here) was actually helpfull for my muscleconditions the next day as alcohol helps relaxing the muscles.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 5:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    No, I see where you're coming from.

I'm part of the committee that runs my university judo team and I have some experience of dealing with these kinds of things. With most uni clubs, the social element is a really big element. People - especially the first years - join them to meet people as much as anything else. If you end up recruiting an instructor from among the students, then you're going to have to accept that they're probably not going to like being told they can no longer take part in the social part of the club.

As far as I'm concerned, as long as they keep things professional on the mats, everything's good. If their bollox-acting starts to interfere with the actual running of the club, then we have a problem, but it hasn't been an issue yet.

I also think the students themselves are getting to the age where they need to learn that people are not their jobs.I actually think it helps them to see that people can behave differently inside and outside of work. Of course this hinges on the instructor not doing anything that causes problems on the mat, or showing too much favouritism or exclusion of people based on who he hangs around with.

tl;dr - Bad instruction is something you have to watch out for and deal with when it happens, but putting unnecessary restrictions on peoples private lives also sucks. Plus uni clubs are supposed to be fun, we have a list of other local MA clubs if you wand to be serious business.
    Thank you for the well-reasoned rebuttal. You do make a fair point.

My old judo club had a thing called Drink to Dan, but I'm not supposed to talk about it publicly, lest someone start thinking of the children.
    Is that the game where every junior grade in the dojo had to buy you a number of shots equal to the number of degrees of your belt - then you had to slam them all, one after the other, get up and then breakfall off a pool table?

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 5:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Is that the game where every junior grade in the dojo had to buy you a number of shots equal to the number of degrees of your belt - then you had to slam them all, one after the other, get up and then breakfall off a pool table?
    No, but let's pretend it is. That game is 10 times more awesome.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 2:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, but let's pretend it is. That game is 10 times more awesome.
    Okay, so thats not it...

Is ' drink to Dan' going to a bar owned by a certain Dan, end up with a huge bartab and then refuse to pay, which results in a big barfight?

Or is Dan some huge biker you have to bringa pink cocktail to and wink at him?

Am i close?

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 3:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No it's where they make up a bunch of cocktails that represent the colour of each belt, and then you drink them. To be honest, most of the drinks are fairly dilute, and of course no one is pressured into to drinking anything.

That said, I turned up to the last one after already having an ale or two, and I can remember at one point myself and Sophist (who used to post here) testing the effectiveness of an elbow that's landed on the forehead instead of the softer parts of the face, by having him repeatedly smash me in the head while I egged him on and belittled his Muay Thai skills.

Then he hit me properly...

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 4:04am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, if you're a black belt, you have to drink a white/clear cocktail, a yellow cocktail, an orange cocktail, a green cocktail, a blue cocktail, a brown cocktail (or whatever colours you use) and a black cocktail (plus an additional one for each dan rank) one after the other?

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 4:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your own rank doesn't matter, and it stops at black.

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    8/31/2010 4:10am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your own rank doesn't matter, and it stops at black.
    Even if you're drinking with the coral belts?
Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast